Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 11:55 AM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times

Advertisements

Tobacco is huge in CT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 12:21 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,236,076 times
Outer leaf "wrappers" are the type of tobacco leaf commonly grown in the Hartford area (generally, in this part of the Connecticut River valley). There are tobacco barns all around the area; you'll notice them on the drive from I-91 to the airport (BDL).

Old 04-24-2014, 05:55 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
This is not nearly as bad as a manufacturer closing. Manufacturers pay far more on Personal Property than building taxes. The Hartford can take out MIS equipment which will substantially lower the Grand List tax basis, but that is a far cry from a manufacturer taking out all the equipment. For the Hartford, the building has much more value than the contents.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:45 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
I grew up in the Simsbury Area (Tariffville) in the 1950's. Went to Simsbury High. Was a summer time tobacco picker. I think I lived through it.

Simsbury has seen many changes, some good some bad.

It survived the King Philip wars.

It came through the 1939 and 1955 floods with only a few dents.

It prospered from Ensigh-Bickford (EB) I remember when they were the largest Employer

It survived when the huge tobacco farms became housing developments. I remember picking tobacco where "Simsbury Heights" in Tariffville now stands.

Relax-- Simsnury will survive. Simsburians are a tough breed and have made through a lot.

I miss you Simsbury, may you prove again what a great place you are.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:57 PM

678 posts, read 847,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I grew up in the Simsbury Area (Tariffville) in the 1950's. Went to Simsbury High. Was a summer time tobacco picker. I think I lived through it.

Simsbury has seen many changes, some good some bad.

It survived the King Philip wars.

It came through the 1939 and 1955 floods with only a few dents.

It prospered from Ensigh-Bickford (EB) I remember when they were the largest Employer

It survived when the huge tobacco farms became housing developments. I remember picking tobacco where "Simsbury Heights" in Tariffville now stands.

Relax-- Simsnury will survive. Simsburians are a tough breed and have made through a lot.

I miss you Simsbury, may you prove again what a great place you are.
Oh, wow! Salaam Alaikum! I just read your bio, along with your post, and now I feel humbled.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
Oh, wow! Salaam Alaikum! I just read your bio, along with your post, and now I feel humbled.
wa Alaikum Salaam wa ramatullahi wa baraktuhu Ahki,

Jazakallahu Kairan for the kind words.

I have many fond memories of Simsbury. Used to live near the Old Mill, was "Poly Choke" at that time. My Mother and the Man who later became my Step-father (When I was 22 years old and had already been in the Air force for nearly 4 years) both worked for Poly choke until they Retired. Sadly My step-father passed away shortly before he would have retired. I never really got to know him, I wish I had.

Nearly all of my relatives are buried in the Tariffville cemetery and the rest in the East Hartland one, next to where Hayes store used to be.

Over the years I have often thought off returning to the Simsbury area. Last time I was there was about 7 years ago when I brought my Grandkids up there to show them where I grew up

However, when I look and see how much it has grown up in the Tunxis forest ares and near Barkhamsted, it has become to crowded for me.

But, give my love and regards to Simsbury next time you pass by the Eno Memorial Building. (In the 50s it was a Movies theater on Friday and Saturday nights.) I believe my ticket used to cost 8 cents

Old 04-25-2014, 10:13 PM

678 posts, read 847,199 times
I definitely will! I plan to visit the Heublein Tower with my cousin in the Summer if all goes well, inshaAllah. I will definitely open up my journey to the actual town for your request.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
I definitely will! I plan to visit the Heublein Tower with my cousin in the Summer if all goes well, inshaAllah. I will definitely open up my journey to the actual town for your request.
There used to be a path from the tower down to King Philip's cave. Not much of a cave as far as caves go, but quite historic. If I remember right you can see the Barndoor Hills

and the Giant's coffin, (Manitook Mountain) interesting geological formation.

The Barndoor Hill are famous for something, but I forgot what.

Both are in Granby. The Barndoor hills are on the McClean Game preserve about 5 miles from old Newgate Prison.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:33 AM

730 posts, read 1,302,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Outer leaf "wrappers" are the type of tobacco leaf commonly grown in the Hartford area (generally, in this part of the Connecticut River valley). There are tobacco barns all around the area; you'll notice them on the drive from I-91 to the airport (BDL).
Wow, now I have learned something new, LOL. I had no idea that CT had a tobacco industry.

An online Cigaraficionado article about the wrappers mentions that there are "a handful of farmers and two major companies involved in its cultivation". Do you happen to know which towns the farms/companies are in? Thanks. :-)

Old 04-26-2014, 12:31 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Many CT towns still do tobacco farming. I'm not sure which brand you're talking of, but there are fields in Windsor, South Windsor, East Windsor. Possibly Ellington/Tolland/Vernon as well. I ride in that area a lot but don't always know exactly where I am when I see the fields. There are a lot of barns still standing that may not be used anymore.

There's also a building in Glastonbury that still says Consolidated Cigar on it. There was once tobacco farming in Glastonbury but not sure if there is anymore. Same with East Hartford. I found a reference that says 95% of CT tobacco is grown in Hartford County.

You may find more info here: The Luddy/Taylor Connecticut Valley Tobacco Museum I've never been but it looks interesting.

Here is another link to Enfield history http://www.cvtobacco.com/tobacco_story.html

Also google broadleaf or shade tobacco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut