U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 08:32 AM

701 posts, read 551,773 times

Advertisements

State Tourism Office Announces $3.4 Million Campaign, Contest - Courant.com

You think this will bring people to see what exactly again? Mystic? Great Beaches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 08:40 AM

2,440 posts, read 2,062,298 times
It doesn't say where they are running the ads? if they run the adds in CT, waste of money. if they are running the ads in other States than we might be able to stir up some business.

if I remember correctly last time they did this they ran ads in CT. What is the point of that? Maybe for different parts of CT to see what others offer. IDK. CT is not a "tourist" State. We have some cool stuff, but to spend a week here on vacation is somewhat of a joke. CT is a great 2 day drip State.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:47 AM

13,126 posts, read 15,712,022 times
I don't understand why the state can't hire an agency to do a half decent spot.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:46 PM

4,283 posts, read 6,500,293 times
The ad will most likely be shown in the surrounding states and maybe a few further afield (New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Vermont; New Hampshire, etc).

Old 04-24-2014, 06:00 PM

2,394 posts, read 3,107,150 times
If You Spend It, They Will Come by Matthew Hennessey, City Journal 24 April 2014

Old 04-24-2014, 06:12 PM

5,081 posts, read 7,419,218 times
I don't really consider Connecticut a good tourist destination for anything other than day trips, honestly. It's a nice state to live in, but I wouldn't vacation here even if I didn't live here.

If you really want beaches, there are much better beaches to be found elsewhere. Other spots to visit are of mild interest, maybe for a day or so.

Maybe gambling junkees would like Mohegan Sun, but even that is a 3-day visit at most.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:14 PM

6,791 posts, read 4,644,073 times
MA and RI Tourisim >>>>> CT Tourisim

Old 04-24-2014, 08:16 PM

6,502 posts, read 4,399,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I don't really consider Connecticut a good tourist destination for anything other than day trips, honestly. It's a nice state to live in, but I wouldn't vacation here even if I didn't live here.

If you really want beaches, there are much better beaches to be found elsewhere. Other spots to visit are of mild interest, maybe for a day or so.

Maybe gambling junkees would like Mohegan Sun, but even that is a 3-day visit at most.
Agreed. While its not bad living here for the most part, its not that great to be a vacation spot. Me and my g/f have much better times going up to Vermont, Maine, etc. Better shopping, scenery and what not if you ask me in other nearby states.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:23 AM

15,005 posts, read 14,196,311 times
Yet from the point of view of a former CT resident, CT can be a vacation destination, albeit a small one. When I moved to Western MA, some people (newbies mostly) actually thought they had to go to the Cape to get beach. When I told them about Hammonasset you'd have thought they had found Nirvana. It's a much shorter drive than the Cape if you live in WMass for a day trip.

Then there are historical and even genealogical trips for people. Old Saybrook is OLD. Retired people especially, love to go and find their roots, look at the old records, see where their ancestors lived. You have a beautiful and historical
area along the shore so I'd say--play it up!

When I lived in CT I always loved Essex as the quintessential New England town. People from other parts of the country have an image of New England that Essex fulfills. I especially loved Essex at Christmas time.

Mystic Seaport, of course, goes without saying. So while CT is mostly a good place for living, there are some good places that tourists would like to visit.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:40 AM

13,126 posts, read 15,712,022 times
I think a tourism campaign can easily focus on surrounding states. CT is great for day or weekend trips. You would not fly here as a destination. If their media buy is mostly in CT, NY, MA, RI, maybe even NJ - that's a good move.

The commercial itself is the problem. Always has been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut