U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-08-2014, 05:54 PM
 
3 posts, read 3,771 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

hahah yes Grape St. was and is a whole other world! Thank you for the discussion on acclimating. It will be tough, especailly coming from somewhere that I know where to get vegan Indian food at 4 am. But I think we are all in need of a change and new experiences and a slower pace will be good.

As for MT, a lot of the places we are finding are off Main st, south of the campus, in between it and Pameacha pond
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-08-2014, 06:08 PM
 
151 posts, read 182,623 times
Reputation: 111
I am from LA and live in CT; but I've never been to Middletown. Milford might be a bit far but I get a very LA vibe there (relatively speaking) vs rest of area.

I'd think twice about a small town; these Yanks are tough. Coastal towns bring a little laid back vibe.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2014, 06:10 PM
 
Location: W Hartford, CT
1,666 posts, read 3,162,230 times
Reputation: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdimas View Post
hahah yes Grape St. was and is a whole other world! Thank you for the discussion on acclimating. It will be tough, especailly coming from somewhere that I know where to get vegan Indian food at 4 am. But I think we are all in need of a change and new experiences and a slower pace will be good.
Main Street in Middletown has every kind of restaurant/bar/pub under the sun, and I do mean everything. I'm sure they have a vegan and/or Indian restaurant. If they don't, New Haven will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdimas
As for MT, a lot of the places we are finding are off Main st, south of the campus, in between it and Pameacha pond
If you mean south of Wesleyan U, that area is fine.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2014, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
13,117 posts, read 15,688,669 times
Reputation: 2797
You'll be ok on food in New Haven. We have some of the best food in the country in this area, and I've dined many many times in LA for comparison.

There's dozens of Indian restaurants, including these vegan Indian food options:

Thali Too - New Haven, CT | Yelp
Tikkaway Fresh Indian Grill - New Haven, CT | Yelp

Middle eastern food open til 3AM, with vegan options:

Mamoun's Falafel Restaurant - New Haven, CT | Yelp

Vegan diner:

Georgie

Another:

Claire's Corner Copia

And another:

welcome to miya's sushi | because man cannot live on rice alone.

And one more:

G-Zen Restaurant | organic vegetarian sustainable cuisine | 203-208-0443 | 2 East Main Street, Branford, CT 06405
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2014, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
394 posts, read 419,309 times
Reputation: 85
Middletown is a nice town. New Haven is definatly a doable commute to middletown. To be honest I am not a city person so I might not have the best answers for you but my favorite districts of New Haven are Fair Haven Heights, East Shore, and Quinnipiac Meadows. These are east of the river and a little more suburban than Yale or East Rock.

Personally f I was working in Middletown, I would either commute from Marlborough, Hebron, Old Saybrook, East Lyme, or Old Lyme. I just don't like urban areas, prefer rural-suburban. If you want a city closer to Middletown than New Haven, also consider Meriden. I prefer to live in Middletown itself than Meriden but Meriden is a not a bad city though. Keep in mind though that Meriden does have some high crime areas, so I would stay in the east side if I would live in Meriden. Honestly I would prefer Middletown itself though. Downtown Meriden is mediocre at best. But if your on a budget I wouldn't call it a bad city.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2014, 06:34 PM
 
Location: W Hartford, CT
1,666 posts, read 3,162,230 times
Reputation: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Downtown Meriden is mediocre at best.
Meriden in general is mediocre at best.

To the OP, just stick with Middletown and you will be fine. Again, it's a small city of 50,000 people, but there's plenty to do there and if you're working there you probably could bike to work as you had said you wanted to earlier. Once your child has grown you may want to consider elsewhere because the public schools are only so-so, but for the time being it should work. Be sure to visit Eli Cannon's once you get situated!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2014, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
13,117 posts, read 15,688,669 times
Reputation: 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
New Haven are Fair Haven Heights, East Shore, and Quinnipiac Meadows. These are east of the river and a little more suburban than Yale or East Rock.
Please be careful with advice unless you really understand the area. There are some really dumpy and frankly dangerous sections of Qunnipiac Meadows and Fair Haven Heights. To someone that isn't familiar with the area that is not a prudent reco. On the other hand, East Rock (and Westville) is a much much nicer area and safer.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2014, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
394 posts, read 419,309 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Please be careful with advice unless you really understand the area. There are some really dumpy and frankly dangerous sections of Qunnipiac Meadows and Fair Haven Heights. To someone that isn't familiar with the area that is not a prudent reco. On the other hand, East Rock (and Westville) is a much much nicer area and safer.
? Didn't actually know that. Well yeah I am not as familiar with New Haven as I don't go there often. I have explored the area, and liked Fair Haven Heights and Quinnipiac Meadows but never heard bad things about it.

Hey Wait a minute are you mixing up Fair Haven Heights with Fair Haven when you say dangerous. Because Fair Haven has a high crime rate, but Fair Haven Heights on the other hand is a better area, I don't think its a high crime area, but please correct me if I am wrong. I am not as familiar with that part of New Haven but I do like it when it comes to scenery and quieter area.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2014, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
13,117 posts, read 15,688,669 times
Reputation: 2797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Hey Wait a minute are you mixing up Fair Haven Heights with Fair Haven when you say dangerous. Because Fair Haven has a high crime rate, but Fair Haven Heights on the other hand is a better area, I don't think its a high crime area, but please correct me if I am wrong. I am not as familiar with that part of New Haven but I do like it when it comes to scenery and quieter area.
Fair Haven Heights is better than Fair Haven, yes, but still has problem areas. There's been a few murders in that area recently. It's especially bad in the southern part of Fair Haven Heights down by Fairmont Heights. It's not a particularly "nice" area except for some pockets, namely on the riverfront and around E Grand. Careful making suggestions to outsiders on where to live if you aren't familiar with the area.

You did mention East Shore, which is nice - but kind of a pain to commute to Middletown.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2014, 10:48 PM
 
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
394 posts, read 419,309 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Fair Haven Heights is better than Fair Haven, yes, but still has problem areas. There's been a few murders in that area recently. It's especially bad in the southern part of Fair Haven Heights down by Fairmont Heights. It's not a particularly "nice" area except for some pockets, namely on the riverfront and around E Grand. Careful making suggestions to outsiders on where to live if you aren't familiar with the area.

You did mention East Shore, which is nice - but kind of a pain to commute to Middletown.
Yeah the problem with East Shore is that there is only one way out and it can get backed up, so it would be a little tough commute.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top