U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-27-2014, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
13,117 posts, read 15,688,669 times
Reputation: 2797

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Yeah. You never used to see it in the suburbs, but i have noticed in the last few years panhandlers holding signs at the bottom of exit ramps on 95, or very near 95. Stratford and Milford cops seem to do a good job at pressuring them to move along, but still, it's unsettling to see.
I've seen the veterans(?) holding signs at ShopRite and exit 40 by the truck stop, but they never approach cars like stated in that New Milford article. If someone banged on my car it would be a challenge to remain passive.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2014, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Northern Fairfield Co.
2,416 posts, read 1,828,768 times
Reputation: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I've seen the veterans(?) holding signs at ShopRite and exit 40 by the truck stop, but they never approach cars like stated in that New Milford article. If someone banged on my car it would be a challenge to remain passive.
Yup!! Not sure how I would react personally -- I'm guessing those rapping on the windows are male, and probably deranged at that. Enough to make me avoid, personally. A night out with my husband with that same scenario could have a more predictable and ugly outcome. Even more reason IMO to avoid... Really it's a shame though because that downtown has some good bones and could be so, so much more. I seriously hope the powers that be over there can figure this out pronto. Lots of good business owners there that I'd like to continue to support, but not at this expense. Seriously not worth it to me. NM doesn't have anything that I can't find elsewhere...

Last edited by Lalalally; 04-27-2014 at 04:31 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2014, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Hartford, CT
10,832 posts, read 11,935,479 times
Reputation: 6377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Jay is right Mystic is mostly in Groton and only a very bit in Stonington. Take it like Groton vs Stonington, but most of Mystic is in Groton.

I am sorry but I am not perfect just like anyone. I am sure if you made something like this you would have some mistakes as well. Those 7 towns you listed are not listed very well on a map like look at google maps, yes they exist but they are hardly listed on a map and then those are kind of odd towns which I am sure would be outvoted right away, and that gives odd numbers. And a lot of people I know consider Sherman and New Fairfield one town. I am sorry to disappoint you, but I seriously cannot be perfect.
You're wrong. If I had designed this tournament, it would have come out perfect, because I already know all exact 169 cities, towns and boroughs in CT in my head. Google Maps is not an appropriate map to use, because it doesn't display incorporated town borders unless you enter the name of the town manually, one by one. You should have done a Google search for "ct town map" and you would have seen a plethora of maps that show the exact names and boundaries of all 169 towns. There are three boroughs within CT. Only Naugatuck is an independent borough, but Woodmont and Fenwick are part of an incorporated city/town (Milford and Old Saybrook, respectively).

I knew that Mystic covers land area in both Groton and Stonington, but I didn't want to overcomplicate things. So please don't question my godly knowledge of CT geography.

When is Round 2 coming up? It's been almost 48 hours already.

Also, does the person who wins this tournament receive a prize or something?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2014, 05:46 PM
 
8,783 posts, read 15,200,736 times
Reputation: 5200
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

Also, does the person who wins this tournament receive a prize or something?
It would typically be a booby, but i don't think you're interested in that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2014, 09:14 PM
 
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
394 posts, read 419,309 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
You're wrong. If I had designed this tournament, it would have come out perfect, because I already know all exact 169 cities, towns and boroughs in CT in my head. Google Maps is not an appropriate map to use, because it doesn't display incorporated town borders unless you enter the name of the town manually, one by one. You should have done a Google search for "ct town map" and you would have seen a plethora of maps that show the exact names and boundaries of all 169 towns. There are three boroughs within CT. Only Naugatuck is an independent borough, but Woodmont and Fenwick are part of an incorporated city/town (Milford and Old Saybrook, respectively).

I knew that Mystic covers land area in both Groton and Stonington, but I didn't want to overcomplicate things. So please don't question my godly knowledge of CT geography.

When is Round 2 coming up? It's been almost 48 hours already.

Also, does the person who wins this tournament receive a prize or something?
I'm sorry, but I actually did look at an actual map of the CT towns, the reason why it wasn't perfect was because I was a little mistaken in names, because I basically thought Jewett City was a more common name for Lisbon. And for Mystic it was labeled on Google Maps east of the river so I thought it was a more common name for Groton. For the next rounds I will name them properly then. I know also the 169 towns by heart you know, and to tell you the truth I did know that I was missing 7 towns but they are so uncommon though and let me ask you like if I included them, OH NO: A TRAP how would I compare 1 town with nothing in a county, I mean yeah you and I know but most people probably wouldn't notice and wouldn't care because those towns are unknown anyway especially scotland.

Round 2 is starting today as soon as I can get the points added up. Before I start round 2 I will be posting the scores of each town.

Confused a little what you mean about who wins, because as you can tell its a town that wins not a person. I don't see how a person can win. The town that wins I will be posting big here and a congratulation note on this thread.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2014, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Hartford, CT
10,832 posts, read 11,935,479 times
Reputation: 6377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
I'm sorry, but I actually did look at an actual map of the CT towns, the reason why it wasn't perfect was because I was a little mistaken in names, because I basically thought Jewett City was a more common name for Lisbon. And for Mystic it was labeled on Google Maps east of the river so I thought it was a more common name for Groton. For the next rounds I will name them properly then. I know also the 169 towns by heart you know, and to tell you the truth I did know that I was missing 7 towns but they are so uncommon though and let me ask you like if I included them, OH NO: A TRAP how would I compare 1 town with nothing in a county, I mean yeah you and I know but most people probably wouldn't notice and wouldn't care because those towns are unknown anyway especially scotland.

Round 2 is starting today as soon as I can get the points added up. Before I start round 2 I will be posting the scores of each town.

Confused a little what you mean about who wins, because as you can tell its a town that wins not a person. I don't see how a person can win. The town that wins I will be posting big here and a congratulation note on this thread.
Okay, well that's a bit discriminatory to just omit seven towns like that. Who knows....including them may have changed the outcome of the game a little. I mean, Scotland and Sherman are beautiful towns.

Anyway, I'll stop now and wait for Round 2.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Trumbull, CT
301 posts, read 195,968 times
Reputation: 123
I'm really only familiar with FFC, so that's all I'm doing.

Fairfield County


Stamford vs Norwalk

Greenwich vs Fairfield

Westport vs Stratford

Trumbull vs Shelton

Bridgeport vs Danbury

Darien vs New Canaan

Redding vs Easton

Wilton vs Ridgefield

Bethel vs Newtown

Weston vs New Fairfield

Monroe vs Brookfield
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
394 posts, read 419,309 times
Reputation: 85
Okay everyone. Round 1 is done, and the results of which towns were the winners are here. I put the scores as we;;.

Round 1:


Fairfield County


Stamford 13-1 Norwalk

Greenwich 2-12 Fairfield

Westport 11-3 Stratford

Trumbull 8-5 Shelton

Bridgeport 2-11 Danbury

Darien 5-7 New Canaan

Redding 4-8 Easton

Wilton 3-10 Ridgefield

Bethel 5-8 Newtown

Weston 8-3 New Fairfield

Monroe 5-8 Brookfield



New Haven County


Milford 7-4 Branford

New Haven 11-1 Waterbury

West Haven 6-5 East Haven

North Haven 7-4 Hamden

Naugatuck 2-9 Wallingford

Southbury 8-3 Middlebury

Guilford 2-8 Madison

Meriden 2-10 Cheshire

Ansonia 0-10 Seymour

Beacon Falls 2-7 Wolcott

Bethany 2-6 Woodbridge

Orange 7-3 North Branford

Oxford 9-2 Derby



Litchfield County (This County Might Be A Little Boring because there are not much major towns here)


New Milford 6-6 Woodbury (They are tied, but I am giving the winner to Woodbury because my policy for ties, are that I take my vote out)

Torrington 7-2 Winchester

Thomaston 5-5 North Canaan

Kent 3-6 Litchfield

Salisbury 7-2 Canaan

Washington 6-2 Bethlehem

Sharon 6-2 Barkhamsted

Watertown 6-1 Plymouth

Bridgewater 4-6 Roxbury

Warren 6-3 Morris

Cornwall 6-3 Goshen

Harwinton 3-3 New Hartford

Norfolk 6-1 Colebrook



Hartford County


New Britain 2-7 Hartford

West Hartford 8-2 East Hartford

Bristol 2-7 Manchester

Southington 1-8 Glastonbury

Newington 4-4 Wethersfield

Windsor 3-4 Windsor Locks

East Windsor 3-4 South Windsor

Granby 6-0 East Granby

Suffield 2-4 Enfield

Farmington 10-0 Bloomfield

Burlington 3-3 Canton

Avon 4-5 Simsbury

Rocky Hill 3-3 Marlborough

Plainville 4-4 Berlin



Middlesex County


Cromwell 3-8 Middletown

Middlefield 5-2 Durham

East Hampton 0-5 East Haddam

Killingworth 2-3 Deep River

Clinton 2-6 Essex

Westbrook 1-7 Old Saybrook

Chester 5-0 Haddam



New London County


New London 4-3 Norwich

Old Lyme 2-5 East Lyme

Waterford 5-0 Montville

Lebanon 1-2 Franklin

Lyme 4-1 Salem

Colchester 3-1 Bozrah

Groton 5-2 Stonington

Ledyard 1-4 North Stonington

Lisbon 3-1 Sprague

Griswold 2-2 Voluntown



Tolland County


Hebron 2-3 Columbia

Vernon 4-3 Mansfield

Tolland 3-3 Willington

Somers 1-2 Stafford

Andover 2-3 Coventry

Ellington 1-4 Union



Windham County


Windham 4-1 Plainfield

Canterbury 1-2 Sterling

Ashford 2-3 Pomfret

Woodstock 2-4 Thompson

Killingly 3-2 Putnam

Chaplin 1-2 Hampton

Eastford 2-2 Brooklyn



Winners


Fairfield County:
Stamford
Fairfield
Westport
Trumbull
Danbury
New Canaan
Easton
Ridgefield
Newtown
Weston
Brookfield

New Haven County:
Milford
New Haven
West Haven
North Haven
Wallingford
Southbury
Madison
Cheshire
Seymour
Wolcott
Woodbridge
Orange
Oxford

Litchfield County:
Woodbury
Torrington
Thomaston
Litchfield
Salisbury
Washington
Sharon
Watertown
Roxbury
Warren
Cornwall
New Hartford
Norfolk

Hartford County:
Hartford
West Hartford
Manchester
Glastonbury
Newington
Windsor Locks
Granby
Enfield
Farmington
Burlington
Simsbury

Middlesex County:
Middletown
Middlefield
East Haddam
Killingworth
Essex
Old Saybrook
Chester

New London County:
New London
East Lyme
Waterford
Franklin
Lyme
Colchester
Groton
North Stonington
Lisbon
Griswold

Tolland County:
Columbia
Vernon
Tolland
Stafford
Coventry
Union

Windham County
Windham
Sterling
Pomfret
Thompson
Killingly
Hampton
Eastford

I will be starting round 2 in maximum an hour as soon as I choose which city vs city is best. Hopefully I can sort that out and get it on here before an hour though. Just to let you know I spent 2 hours sorting out round 1 before I even started this thread.

WHO IS READY TO VOTE AGAIN IN ROUND 2!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
394 posts, read 419,309 times
Reputation: 85
Default Slight Problem

Hey Everyone

Before I can start Round 2, I have a slight problem.

Fairfield, New Haven, Middlesex, and Windham Counties are odd numbers, and I need your opinions on what to do.

Fairfield County:

I am having trouble with Fairfield County because there are no draws, so I have 2 options:

Option 1: I realized that I skipped Sherman town in Round 1 so I can maybe add that.

Option 2: Give 1 town the winner and pass to round 3, if I do this option which town should I pass on to round 3?



New Haven County:

Same as Fairfield, I am having a little trouble.

Same 2 options as fairfield. But I missed the city prospect.


Middlesex County

I think i will just pass middletown to Round 3 because its the only major small city there, and there is no fair town in the same county to compare it to. If any of you don't like this idea, please tell me and tell me your idea.


Windham County

Eastford and Brooklyn were tied, so I think i will pass them both and compare them to different towns in round 2.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2014, 12:22 PM
 
324 posts, read 408,405 times
Reputation: 655
this is lame
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top