Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 11:53 AM

3 posts, read 6,591 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My girlfriend recently accepted a job offer in Stamford and I work in Manhattan. We currently live in Brooklyn and her commute to Stamford is about 2 hrs. It is slightly manageable right now but during busy season when she has to work late and start early it might be a hassle. We currently own the home we live in Brooklyn and trying to to see if renting an additional apartment in Stamford would be reasonable.

We are looking for a studio/one bedroom/loft in a safe neighborhood. Since I plan on commuting to Manhattan and her building is right by the Stamford train station it would best if it is walking distance to the Stamford Metro North Station. Is it possible to find a place no more than $1200/month in the area?

Also a parking space would be a huge plus I know this might be asking too much. Is it safe for street parking, I would like to bring my car up to Stamford sometimes.

If not can anyone recommend neighborhoods near by or options that we could possibly consider. We would consider a smaller place to keep the price down since we have our own place in Brooklyn and the main purpose of the Stamford apartment is for when she has to work late.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

If someone can recommend specific apartments that would be great as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 12:07 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Yes, older studio's do go for less than $1200 in the downtown area, though they're not especially easy to find. Try hotpads.com

Old 08-27-2014, 12:29 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Have you considered moving to Stamford? Your commute to Manhattan would be similar if you work in Midtown and hers would be much shorter. Another option would be to move to Midtown or Harlem so she would be near the train. Just a thought. Jay

Old 08-27-2014, 12:44 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Have you considered moving to Stamford? Your commute to Manhattan would be similar if you work in Midtown and hers would be much shorter. Another option would be to move to Midtown or Harlem so she would be near the train. Just a thought. Jay

Harlem or Downtown Brooklyn would good option

Old 08-27-2014, 01:40 PM

3 posts, read 6,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Yes, older studio's do go for less than $1200 in the downtown area, though they're not especially easy to find. Try hotpads.com
Thanks.
Never heard of the site before, I will check it out later. Any other websites you can recommend? I've only used Zillow for my research.

Quote:
At the moment Stamford looks like it might temporary (maybe a year or two) as she is trying to transfer internally to the NY office. Our best option at the moment would be renting a place before making any big moves. We have consider moving to Midtown or Harlem but want to consider something in CT first seeing how we both grew up in NYC and would like to experience life outside NYC.

As I look for apartments and start moving farther away from Downtown/Stamford Metro Station. Are there any areas I should avoid?

One of her co-workers said to avoid the south part of Stamford (opposite of the I-95 by S State St)

Old 08-27-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynJack View Post
Thanks.
Never heard of the site before, I will check it out later. Any other websites you can recommend? I've only used Zillow for my research.

At the moment Stamford looks like it might temporary (maybe a year or two) as she is trying to transfer internally to the NY office. Our best option at the moment would be renting a place before making any big moves. We have consider moving to Midtown or Harlem but want to consider something in CT first seeing how we both grew up in NYC and would like to experience life outside NYC.

As I look for apartments and start moving farther away from Downtown/Stamford Metro Station. Are there any areas I should avoid?

One of her co-workers said to avoid the south part of Stamford (opposite of the I-95 by S State St)
Pacific & Woodland, Henry St, Spruce St, Myano Lane and Connecticut Ave, Richmond Hill ave, Custer Street it not that bad but it little sketchy

Last edited by BPt111; 08-27-2014 at 02:48 PM..

Old 08-27-2014, 03:01 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Downtown Brooklyn??? They live in Brooklyn now and it takes her two hours to get to Stamford. Jay

Old 08-27-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Downtown Brooklyn??? They live in Brooklyn now and it takes her two hours to get to Stamford. Jay

My bad Jay I read it incorrectly I though the job was in NY

Old 08-28-2014, 12:07 AM

1,129 posts, read 1,351,112 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Harlem??? That is a really bad neighboorhood, I wouldn't live there. Another city to check out is White Plains.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:31 AM

686 posts, read 1,767,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
Harlem??? That is a really bad neighboorhood, I wouldn't live there. Another city to check out is White Plains.
It is impractical to commute from White Plains to Stamford by public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut