U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 04:54 PM

2,127 posts, read 1,528,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I know you couldn't care less, but this is blatantly untrue. I guess when you have an agenda it's ok to lie like crazy, right?

Murder Victims, by Weapons Used | Infoplease.com
He was probably confusing himself with the stats on "assault weapons" which in fact are lower. Much lower to barely any. The FBI only records "rifles" of which those scary black ones would be a subset.

FBI — Expanded Homicide Data Table 8
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 07:09 PM

2,604 posts, read 2,383,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I know you couldn't care less, but this is blatantly untrue. I guess when you have an agenda it's ok to lie like crazy, right?

Murder Victims, by Weapons Used | Infoplease.com
+1

I've thought a lot about the gun rights issue and my stance has changed in recent times.

What people don't seem to understand is that if your average citizen can own a gun, then any criminal can get one. Easy access. They can steal them! The guns are everywhere. There's a reason criminals have a hard time getting a hold of a rocket launcher and c-4. These are banned weapons and not mass produced like firearms for the general public.

So I have to be honest, it's either ban the guns or don't! Because half ass solutions like background checks and a lot of these other laws won't work. Even if we banned all guns, it would take decades to get them off the streets.

We have the 2nd amendment, which protects firearm owners rights. That's our constitution. Gun ownership is protected. It's an outdated concept about being able to take on the government. The isn't the late 1700's. The government has drones/attack choppers/missles ect ect We could never take on a totalitarian government with simple handguns. You'd have to extend that right to bear arms to ground to air missiles(that will be real safe for our airports with all the nuts running around).

So my personal opinion is that we'd be much safer if we banned all guns. Unless you live in the wilderness and have to protect yourself against bears ect there really is no real need for one. It's mostly just paranoia. Of course this will NEVER happen in this country due to the strength of the NRA and people's belief about guns. It happened it Australia, but would never happen here. Australia's gun crime has now gone down and all the guns are finally being taken back.

Are the majority of legal gun owners criminals/violent? Absolutely not, but allowing the general public to have them means the criminals will get them.

This country is moving the opposite way. MORE GUNS. It's a loser issue for politicians to fight for "gun control". And gun control won't accomplish anything anyway. You'd really have to just outright ban them and allowing only police and government to have guns doesn't sit well with the majority in this country. The number of pro gun people are simply too many. You're asking politicians in the democrat party to lie on a sword when they go for tough gun control laws in states like colorado. Laws that are half measures and will have no effect at stopping potential criminals from getting them anyway.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:42 PM

18,681 posts, read 14,965,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
The girl getting stabbed in Milford is sad but I dont know why people are comparing it to what happened at Sandy hook. That was a national tragedy not just a CT tragedy.

No, this was also very much viewed as a national tragedy. Granted, I grew up 2 miles from Law, and siblings went there, but by the time I got to work 1,000 miles from Milford, several employees were talking about it, and they were as emotional as those you see on tv at the vigils. Several have teenage girls 15-17. It strikes home.

I didn't go to Jonathan Law, but if I were in Ct, I'd have been there tonight. I was delighted to see Malloy there. I follow him, and may not like his policies, but between how he handled Sandy Hook and this, I like his soul. Many govs would not show for something like this, and instead issue a simple, insincere statement.

As for this thread, I understand talking about Sandy Hook, Petits, and Law, but the chimp attack..come on..that was not pre-meditated.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:26 AM

1,061 posts, read 943,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
As for this thread, I understand talking about Sandy Hook, Petits, and Law, but the chimp attack..come on..that was not pre-meditated.
Pre-meditation doesn't have to be something long before an attack. You know the chimp was thinking about it.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:31 AM

2,604 posts, read 2,383,449 times
I'm not sure what the chimp has to do with anything. Plenty of people get attacked by wild dangerous animals that should never be kept as pets in other states. Chimps are intelligent savages.(kind of funny how their our closes relatives eh?) They'll stick the head of a another monkey on a stick and run around with it. They'll kill you for fun. Only a complete wacko would keep something like that as a pet. Of course people seem to be obsessed with keeping potentially dangerous animals as pets. Look at all the pittbulls and rottweilers. Yes I'm fully aware some of them can be nice, but it's a powerful domesticated wolf that can and do attack and sometimes kill people. Dogs kills more people than all wild animals combined. And of course just because you raise something with love doesn't mean it will be nice and loving. It's a function of genetics/nature of the beast as well as environment. These are predatory animals.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:36 AM

170 posts, read 222,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford Stan View Post
Seriously, a girl gets stabbed in Milford, Sandy Hook, the chimp attack, the Cheshire Home Invasion the kids getting killed in Bridgeport and New Haven that no one cares about, the partying and drug abuse starting from middle school and the general moral bankruptcy of adults. Seriously things here are messed up.
If you think we've got it bad here, I think you're mistaken. I saw this post yesterday about how bad things are in Florida, and I think they've got us in the bad and weird department...

Florida is CRAZY these days (links from last week)

Old 04-29-2014, 07:17 AM

3,138 posts, read 7,457,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford Stan View Post
Seriously, a girl gets stabbed in Milford, Sandy Hook, the chimp attack, the Cheshire Home Invasion the kids getting killed in Bridgeport and New Haven that no one cares about, the partying and drug abuse starting from middle school and the general moral bankruptcy of adults. Seriously things here are messed up.
Ha, you need to get out of the state more. I am currently in South Florida for work. Try their local news if you want to see what real crime looks like.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:20 AM

2,127 posts, read 1,528,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaIceman View Post
If you think we've got it bad here, I think you're mistaken. I saw this post yesterday about how bad things are in Florida, and I think they've got us in the bad and weird department...

Every state has it's quirks and perks, it's up to the individual/family to decide which ones best suit their lifestyle and priority...That simple.

From Alaska to NYC this country has soooo much cultural, scenic, political, and workforce differences there really is a place for everyone.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:46 AM

4,445 posts, read 3,601,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaIceman View Post

I was watching a show a few years back about a guy in Florida who got bitten by a snake from Australia (the highly dangerous inland taipan snake) - somebody had imported it and the guy made a mistake handling it and got bitten. The only places that had antivenin for this particular snake were in New York City and Los Angeles.

The date he was bitten was 9/11/01.

So, they were obviously not getting the antivenin from New York, and they had to get special permission to get it flown from LA that day. And, they had to jump through hoops to get that special permission. They kept him alive using generic antivenin until the specific one got there. I think they said it was the only non-military flight that happened that evening.

But, damn, does anybody really need what is arguably the most venomous snake in the world? Remember the hysteria when they couldn't find that cobra at the Bronx Zoo?

Only One Plane Was Allowed to Fly After Flights Grounded on Sept 11th 2001 | Broken Secrets

Old 04-30-2014, 08:47 PM

164 posts, read 260,076 times
OP: If you think the chimpanzee attacks are bad in CT, you should watch the local news in Central Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut