Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 04:49 PM

21,582 posts, read 31,045,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
Not in favor of this. This idea offers room for discretion and would be subjective. In many cases, I choose to travel in the lane that has less pot holes. If that happens to be the left lane then so be it. If someone comes up behind me then I happily go into the right and let them pass, otherwise I choose the path of least resistance.
Huh? What "idea"?

As posted a few times in this thread, there is already a G.G.S. that says drivers must keep right except to pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 12:36 AM

5 posts, read 5,320 times
Just to be clear ... Parkway it means " landscaped highway" so Merritt included. You can do research.
Sec (4) could be more clear but let me help you guys we have I95 with mostly 3 lines if not that exception middle lane will not be a travel lane anymore because you will need to stick to right lane. That's why is section (C) even that except in sec (4) law going back to (C) to still keep you away from far left lane. Its the law. Safe Drive !

Sec. 14-230. Driving in right-hand lane. (a) Upon all highways, each vehicle, other than a vehicle described in subsection (c) of this section, shall be driven upon the right, except (1) when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, (2) when overtaking and passing pedestrians, parked vehicles, animals or obstructions on the right side of the highway, (3) when the right side of a highway is closed to traffic while under construction or repair, (4) on a highway divided into three or more marked lanes for traffic, or (5) on a highway designated and signposted for one-way traffic.

(b) Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic shall be driven in the right-hand lane available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the highway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:24 PM

769 posts, read 1,009,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Yes, let's fine those traveling in the left lane at passing speeds so that we can leave a clear lane for jerk offs doing 85+ in a 55.

Most people traveling in the left lane are moving faster than right lane traffic and in most cases that means faster than the speed limit. If you have a problem with this then you are probably one of those *******s that just HAS to travel at obsurdly dangerous speeds.

The left lane will likely never get back to it's original intention as a passing lane. I have more of an issue with people not using their blinkers than I do with left lane traffic.
This must be a Connecticut thing, but why is it so difficult to grasp the concept of KEEP RIGHT, EXCEPT TO PASS?

All up and down 95 and the Merritt Parkway I see CT plates camping out in the passing lane, creating massive traffic back ups and all around unsafe driving conditions.

I really wish that the State Police would start ticketing people for left lane camping.

Just yesterday there was some 19 year old kid, doing 55 in the left lane smoking pot in filthy beat up Prius. My respect level for CT went down 50 points after seeing this, as well as all the other clueless locals who still cannot grasp KEEP RIGHT, EXCEPT TO PASS.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:08 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,291,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
This must be a Connecticut thing, but why is it so difficult to grasp the concept of KEEP RIGHT, EXCEPT TO PASS?

All up and down 95 and the Merritt Parkway I see CT plates camping out in the passing lane, creating massive traffic back ups and all around unsafe driving conditions.

I really wish that the State Police would start ticketing people for left lane camping.

Just yesterday there was some 19 year old kid, doing 55 in the left lane smoking pot in filthy beat up Prius. My respect level for CT went down 50 points after seeing this, as well as all the other clueless locals who still cannot grasp KEEP RIGHT, EXCEPT TO PASS.
Some people believe if you're in the left lane you'll get to your destination faster than drivers in the center and right lanes. I guess drivers don't realize the concept of the left lane or maybe some drivers don't feel the need to look who's behind them and instead only focus on what's in front of them. As for enforcing it...it's not that easy. When the state police gets on the highway, nearly every driver gets out of the left lane. I know this because one of my good friends works for the state police and he always tells me stories about how if he's in his personal vehicle people don't move out of his way, but once he drives his Crown Victoria state police car nearly everyone moves over because he has the authority to pull you over.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:39 PM

9,871 posts, read 7,625,621 times
I am slowly getting over it. I can't stand going 75 empty highway than bam soneone going 50. You move to the right no one there than bam person going 100 riding your but.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:06 AM

21,582 posts, read 31,045,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post

Ah, yes. One kid in a Prius accurately represents all 3-something million of us...

And FWIW, left lane camping is a HUGE problem in New York as well, especially on the Hutch and Van Wyck. Oh and yes, they usually have New York plates.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:18 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,603,780 times
Left lane camping is an offense in NJ but I don't notice any lack of slow left lane drivers.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:28 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,244,439 times
yes, I have a 30 mile commute and respect those who travel faster. When we're out there on the road we need to "be friends".

Old 12-29-2015, 08:03 AM

3,434 posts, read 3,921,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Ah, yes. One kid in a Prius accurately represents all 3-something million of us...

And FWIW, left lane camping is a HUGE problem in New York as well, especially on the Hutch and Van Wyck. Oh and yes, they usually have New York plates.
Mass too. Most of the campers I see have Mass or NY plates. CT and NJ do it too, but to a lesser degree.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:25 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,101,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

Pretty much all of these silly complaints I see about Connecticut drivers are universal to congested areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut