Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 07:14 PM

3 posts, read 3,291 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I will be moving from VA to CT for work reasons. We have 2 kids - 6 & 1 yr old. Need inputs from this group on location and apartment communities which meet below requirements:-

1) Work location - Cheshire
2) Safety is an important consideration
3) School - my son will be going to 1st grade. So need good public elementary schools
4) Will be renting( 2 bedroom) and no plans to own a house for now
5) Would prefer location with open spaces(parks) and easy of accessibility to indoor activities for kids during winter

Thanks in advance to all for their help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 07:34 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,426,249 times
You dont list your budget for a 2 bedroom, that would help me narrow down an area for you. How much are you looking to spend?
But you could look into Cheshire itself, they have good public schools though no apartment complexes really so you would need to find a condo or home for rent.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:04 PM

21,693 posts, read 28,028,400 times
Cheshire is a good option, just not much for apartments. There will be some home and condo rentals though. You may find more rentals in Wallingford, Southington, and Orange - which are good towns within a reasonable commute with good schools (Orange having the highest ranked schools). Those towns have a bit more going on and are more convenient to amenities than Cheshire. You may also want to look into North Haven.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,291 times
My budget is around $1400 and can stretch it to $1500 max. I have looked on various sites including Craig list but the options are very limited for Cheshire and hardly any for Orange. Wallingford and Southngton does have some options but again they have only 1 bath. With a family of 4 and relatives / friends visiting I am looking for 2 bath as well.

Which are the areas or communities in North Haven I should check?

Any areas to avoid in Wallingford and Southington. Is public transport available from these places to New Haven or you need your own car. Any idea if these areas have any Asian Indian population?

Old 04-27-2014, 09:28 PM

For that budget and needs you'll probably find more value in Wallingford. Your budget would be really tough in Orange especially.

Public transportation to New Haven is limited. Best would be by train from towns like West Haven or Milford. West Haven doesn't have great schools, and Milford is a bit of a commute to Cheshire - though it does have a lot of rentals, and a decent Indian population.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:56 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,361,416 times
I checked, there's only one place for rent in Wallingford (on Zillow anyway) with 2 bathrooms, and that's for $2k. Everything else is cheaper and has 2 bedrooms, but only one bathroom. Gonna be incredibly hard to find that on your budget in the immediate area.

There are no seedy parts of Wallingford, but you may want to try stretching your budget a bit. I imagine you'll probably be making more here since the cost of living is higher...

Old 04-27-2014, 10:50 PM

Here's one in Milford: 185 Melba St, Milford, CT 06460 is For Rent - Zillow

I had a friend that lived there. Certainly isn't luxury, but isn't bad either. Nice area, good schools, and public transportation to New Haven. But it's a 35 minute drive to Cheshire.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
I checked, there's only one place for rent in Wallingford (on Zillow anyway) with 2 bathrooms, and that's for $2k. Everything else is cheaper and has 2 bedrooms, but only one bathroom. Gonna be incredibly hard to find that on your budget in the immediate area.

There are no seedy parts of Wallingford, but you may want to try stretching your budget a bit. I imagine you'll probably be making more here since the cost of living is higher...
There are plenty of affordable options if the OP sacrifices on 2 bathrooms, which they may have to in this area if they want good schools.

The only other places I can think of that'll be cheaper and decent are Middletown or Hamden.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:54 AM

1,928 posts, read 2,036,762 times
Middletown would be in the budget. I don't think there is anything wrong with the elementary schools there. It also has a somewhat diverse population. You will need a car no matter what.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:07 AM

9 posts, read 12,400 times
Forget Milford. Too far...look in North Haven, Wallingford and Southington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut