U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 09:11 PM

31 posts, read 26,122 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm moving from mid-west to Hartford,Connecticut as my job will be in Hartford.
Looks like Hartford schools are not that good.
1. Could anyone please let me know the best elementary and middle schools in the cities around Hartford?

2. Looks like Avon has best schools and is there a train that connects Avon and Hartford?

3. Since,my son is Nov born,I'm looking for schools that has the Dec cutoff date for kindergarten.Please let me know. Thanks in advance.Appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 10:49 PM

678 posts, read 543,996 times
There are no trains that connect Avon to Hartford. It's not too bad of a commute. I believe you just ride along Route 44 for the most part. Avon has amazing schools. I might say even the best around the Hartford area or at the least, second to Farmington.

I cannot help you with the last question, unfortunately. Gonna have to wait for someone else to answer that one.

With all that said, welcome to New England! Welcome to Connecticut! =)

Old 04-27-2014, 10:54 PM

13,123 posts, read 15,697,586 times
Avon, Simsbury, Glastonbury, Farmington, Canton, Burlington, West Hartford, Marlborough, Hebron.

I'm probably missing a couple, but those are generally what's considered the best schools in the Hartford area.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:47 PM

4,787 posts, read 7,782,150 times
We're all assuming that you drive and are willing to commute to work via car. You did ask about a train which makes me wonder if you need public transportation.

If you need public transportation, then the town of West Hartford, which is adjacent to the city of Hartford, would work very well for you. You can take the bus into Hartford. Another town with bus transport to Hartford is Wethersfield which is just to the south of Hartford.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:37 AM

4,444 posts, read 3,596,983 times
Avon only has half-day kindergarten - you might want to look at West Hartford or Glastonbury if you want your child to go to full day kindergarten.

No trains from the surrounding towns into Hartford. There are bus lines that run into Hartford, though.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:32 AM

3,138 posts, read 7,453,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Avon, Simsbury, Glastonbury, Farmington, Canton, Burlington, West Hartford, Marlborough, Hebron.

I'm probably missing a couple, but those are generally what's considered the best schools in the Hartford area.
I tend to agree with this list.

If you are looking for public transportation, CT Transit runs many express commuter buses right into Hartford from many of the suburbs Stylo listed above. I used to take the one out of Marlborough and it couldn't be easier or quicker. Get the bus at the commuter lot and it was a straight shot to downtown Hartford. I linked the website below so you can check out the options.

CT Transit Hartford Express

Old 04-28-2014, 02:01 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,123,490 times
All public schools in Connecticut use a December 31 cutoff date.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:59 PM

31 posts, read 26,122 times
Thanks to everyone for the immediate replies.This was really helpful.
Can anyone shed some information on the below also? This would be really helpful for me.

1. How long will it take to drive to Hartford from Avon.?
2. How long will it take to drive to Hartford from Farmington.?
3. I'm looking for the best schools? So,what are the best schools elementary and high schools near Hartford?
4.are there Montessori schools in Avon or around Hartford.
5. Does New Jersey or Connecticut has good public schools?Which state is best for education?
Sorry for too many questions.need to decide on the location soon.Confused....thanks in advance!

Old 04-29-2014, 12:19 PM

22,069 posts, read 36,390,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmmet View Post
Thanks to everyone for the immediate replies.This was really helpful.
Can anyone shed some information on the below also? This would be really helpful for me.

1. How long will it take to drive to Hartford from Avon.?
2. How long will it take to drive to Hartford from Farmington.?
3. I'm looking for the best schools? So,what are the best schools elementary and high schools near Hartford?
4.are there Montessori schools in Avon or around Hartford.
5. Does New Jersey or Connecticut has good public schools?Which state is best for education?
Sorry for too many questions.need to decide on the location soon.Confused....thanks in advance!
It is about 10 miles from Avon to Hartford which is about 20 minutes without traffic. During rush hour add at least 10 more minutes, maybe 15 or 20 just to be safe. Farmington is also about 10 miles from Hartford but figure it will take longer because of heavier traffic on I-84.

As for schools, because the school systems here in Connecticut are generally small and their curriculum fairly uniform, you need worry less about the actual school and more about the town. Generally each town maintains their own school system except for some smaller towns which are part of small regional systems. The towns with the highest rated schools generally are Avon, Simsbury, West Hartford, Farmington and Glastonbury. Avon has the Farmington Valley Academy Montessori school. Both Connecticut and New Jersey have good public schools but Connecticut is consistantly considered to be the best or near best in the country. Jay

Old 04-29-2014, 12:31 PM

10,900 posts, read 16,531,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmmet View Post
New Jersey has many exceptionally good school systems, but also many horrible ones. I think you should ask about the specific town where you will be working on the New Jersey forum.

Just my opinion, but I think Connecticut has better schools if you average all of the communities together. I would certainly feel safer living in Connecticut, and I am sure my property taxes would be lower in Connecticut. I'm not sure about overall tax burdens, but you could run some cost of living calculators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut