U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-01-2014, 02:54 PM
 
4,445 posts, read 3,605,055 times
Reputation: 1929

Advertisements

New Haven itself, not really. People that want good schools for their children live in places like Orange or Woodbridge west of New Haven, or Guilford of Madison east of New Haven.

Bear in mind, however, New Haven is 20 square miles in size, but the region is very densely populated. Portland Oregon itself is 145 square miles in size, or more than 7 times larger in area, yet has about 4.5 times the population as New Haven. (600,000 vs 131,000)

In about the same square miles of area as Portland, you have New Haven, East Haven, West Haven, Hamden, North Haven, Branford, Orange, and Woodbridge combined. (The CT towns add up to a few more square miles...).

Adding in Wallingford, Meriden, North Branford, Cheshire, Guilford, Madison and some other New Haven suburbs and you're in an area that has over 800,000 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-01-2014, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
13,129 posts, read 15,730,640 times
Reputation: 2798
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolina View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions. Would you say over all it is a good place to raise children. For some reason I am not finding much that is making me too excited. I might not be looking in the right places. We love farmers markets, beautiful parks to ride our bikes, rich libraries... what would you say is the state's strengths for families with children?
You might like Branford or Milford. A little more to do. I know at least here in Milford there is 3 regular farmers' markets and it's pretty bikable by the coast and downtown. Most towns have a good library but New Haven excels on that. They have a large public library and many of Yale's impressive libraries are open to the public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 05:24 PM
 
4,445 posts, read 3,605,055 times
Reputation: 1929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
You might like Branford or Milford. A little more to do. I know at least here in Milford there is 3 regular farmers' markets and it's pretty bikable by the coast and downtown. Most towns have a good library but New Haven excels on that. They have a large public library and many of Yale's impressive libraries are open to the public.
agreed on the Yale library. They have some amazing historical items there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 06:35 PM
 
Location: Boston
849 posts, read 599,444 times
Reputation: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolina View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions. Would you say over all it is a good place to raise children. For some reason I am not finding much that is making me too excited. I might not be looking in the right places. We love farmers markets, beautiful parks to ride our bikes, rich libraries... what would you say is the state's strengths for families with children?
Schools. Connecticut, in most of its town has amazing schools, a good amount of cultural diversity, nice homes when you can afford them, and proximity to New York and/or Boston. Connecticut also does have some beautiful parks, and Id be willing to bet you could find some farmer's market's in New Haven. However, if your not very well monied, Connecticut, and the northeast as a whole can be really difficult to raise children.Overall though it sounds like your looking for some Northwest in the Northeast, which isnt too difficult but, takes more money and more tip toeing around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
13,129 posts, read 15,730,640 times
Reputation: 2798
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Schools. Connecticut, in most of its town has amazing schools, a good amount of cultural diversity, nice homes when you can afford them, and proximity to New York and/or Boston. Connecticut also does have some beautiful parks, and Id be willing to bet you could find some farmer's market's in New Haven. However, if your not very well monied, Connecticut, and the northeast as a whole can be really difficult to raise children.Overall though it sounds like your looking for some Northwest in the Northeast, which isnt too difficult but, takes more money and more tip toeing around.
Yes, there's several farmers' markets in New Haven.

CitySeed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 07:22 PM
 
12 posts, read 9,726 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Schools. Connecticut, in most of its town has amazing schools, a good amount of cultural diversity, nice homes when you can afford them, and proximity to New York and/or Boston. Connecticut also does have some beautiful parks, and Id be willing to bet you could find some farmer's market's in New Haven. However, if your not very well monied, Connecticut, and the northeast as a whole can be really difficult to raise children.Overall though it sounds like your looking for some Northwest in the Northeast, which isnt too difficult but, takes more money and more tip toeing around.
That is good to hear. What would be considered monied in the northeast? For a family of 4 would 160k be considered comfortable? we of course want to purchase something as soon as as possible but I am afraid if we don't give ourselves some time we might end up in a not so good area. I keep hearing mixed reviews on schools so I am a bit confused on that. Luckily we homeschool but will be considering HS in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
13,129 posts, read 15,730,640 times
Reputation: 2798
Are the mixed reviews based on New Haven, and perhaps Hamden and West Haven? It's true those places have some challenges in the school. The other suburbs mentioned in this thread rank above average for CT, which already has above average standards on a nationwide level.

$160k should be comfortable for the New Haven area. It would be more challenging in the Stamford area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2014, 08:00 PM
 
4,445 posts, read 3,605,055 times
Reputation: 1929
In Connecticut, the towns and cities all have their own school systems and there is very little mixing of kids across towns to other towns for schooling. If you live in Guilford, your children will go to elementary school there, then intermediate school, junior high school and then high school. All in Guilford. The same with Madison, Branford, or the other towns.

However, some of the smaller towns may share a high school and/or a middle school - Orange, Bethany and Woodbridge share Amity Middle School and Amity High School, but the towns each have their own elementary schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2014, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Fairfield County, CT
14,475 posts, read 20,059,246 times
Reputation: 4610
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
New Haven itself, not really. People that want good schools for their children live in places like Orange or Woodbridge west of New Haven, or Guilford of Madison east of New Haven.
And Branford, Cheshire, North Haven, Wallingford, North Branford, Milford, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2014, 11:46 AM
 
4,445 posts, read 3,605,055 times
Reputation: 1929
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
And Branford, Cheshire, North Haven, Wallingford, North Branford, Milford, etc.
good point - just about everywhere around New Haven has better schools than New Haven
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top