U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 11:07 PM

89 posts, read 99,999 times

Advertisements

Two New Haven public high schools that come to mind and definitely quality: I graduated from Wilbur Cross High School. My brother-in-law teaches there and it is still a good public high school, with a diverse student body. I'm grateful I went there. Also, for that art-performance interest, there is a newly built home and also good school, Cooperative High School which has a high tech performance program and arrangements with the Shubert Theater and Yale programs.u

In New Haven, you will like East Rock, Orange Street, and Square neighborhoods. Westville and much of Edgewood are just as nice, but not really as walkable to downtown.

Finally, I have the quirky knowledge of the fact that New Haven has 6 weekly farmer's markets:
Downtown-New Haven Green; Wooster Square; Westville-Edgewood Park; The Hill; Upper State Street; and Fair Haven.

Good luck and welcome to New Haven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 01:22 PM

12 posts, read 9,851 times
Thoughts on Wallingford ? I like what I see in term of housing( for sale). How is the community? would a drive to the port of new haven be a reasonable one?

Old 05-03-2014, 03:04 PM

4,448 posts, read 3,683,039 times
Wallingford is a nice town, with a solid school system and a lot of amenities right in town. Depending on how close to the highway you lived, you'd be looking at a 20-30 minute commute to Waterfront St in New Haven, maybe a bit more during peak times.

Having just googled Port of New Haven, Branford is also a very nice town and would offer an even shorter commute. Guilford is also very nice, but pricier.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:19 PM

13,366 posts, read 16,016,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolina View Post
Thoughts on Wallingford ? I like what I see in term of housing( for sale). How is the community? would a drive to the port of new haven be a reasonable one?
Wallingford is a good town, but would be a big change coming from Portland. I think the coastal towns are going to give more of the feel that you're used to.

I do agree Branford would be a really option for a port commute.

Old 05-18-2014, 07:17 PM

12 posts, read 9,851 times
What is traffic like from new haven harbor to Guilford or Madison? I know it is about 20 miles but how is traffic during rush hour?

Old 05-18-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
What is traffic like from new haven harbor to Guilford or Madison? I know it is about 20 miles but how is traffic during rush hour?
Not too bad at all. From the harbor you're at least past the interchange/bridge traffic. Summer Friday afternoons will be pretty bad though.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:44 PM

1,129 posts, read 939,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Do NOT move directly into New Haven, there is crime In Southern New England Cities (New Haven, Bridgeport, Springfield, Hartford, Providence, Boston) that you simply wouldn't hear of in Portland. Southern New England becomes more like New Jersey every year, but with less adapted and experienced police.
Crime is the same in CT as in every other state.

The only reason crime is high in CT cities is because land size. Major cities like Atlanta are 400+ square miles. The size includes the suburbs AND the city. In CT, the cities are small and the suburbs arent included in the best and worst crime list, unlike ATL. New Haven, Bridgeport, Hartford, etc all have their nice areas too. Most cities in the US have a ghetto area, including ATL.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:53 AM

33 posts, read 70,285 times
I would echo what others have said - surrounding towns of New Haven would probably be your best bet. I personally love Branford, it's economically diverse, on the coast, has a cute little downtown, and very close to New Haven.
If you want to stay in New Haven proper, I would mention my neighborhood as another option in addition to East Rock, etc. - the East Shore/Morris Cove area. Close to beaches and parks, VERY close (next to) the port area, and you are separated from the rest of New Haven by a bridge so it's very safe over here, while still being a 5-minute drive to downtown (Google Map Woodward Ave., Townsend Ave., and Lighthouse Point Park to get an idea of the area). There seem to be affordable homes over here, too, though the lots are small. Can't speak to the school system here because I don't have kids, but from what I hear it varies GREATLY from school to school. Property taxes are much higher in the city than in the surrounding towns, but I do think that depending on your situation they may have some sort of tax credit situation to try to get more people to buy homes in the city, so you could look into that.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:15 PM

I wouldn't count on the schools being great even at Morris Cove/East Shore, but that's a nice area and a good value - and clearly you can't beat the commute.

The program you're referring to is this: http://renewhavenct.com/

It's a decent deal to offset the high property taxes of New Haven, especially against a town with similarly high taxes like Hamden or West Haven - but still not going to save as much on taxes as living in Branford.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:50 AM

334 posts, read 238,739 times
Quote:

My family and I moved to Wallingford in December and, so far, we are loving it. The schools are good, plenty of recreational offerings for the kids, and it has a great little downtown area. I live close to I91 and my commute- without heavy traffic- is about 20 minutes to down town New Haven. And (knock on wood!) I have hardly ever hit any serious traffic on my commutes and, even then, I am at work in 30 minutes including the walk from the parking garage.

I traveled to Portland quite a bit for work at my last job and, I don't think you are going to find any towns in this area that have a similar "vibe" to where you are coming from. What you can find, if I can be so bold as to generalize after only 6 months or so in the area, are some great smaller towns that offer a diverse range of "vibes" to choose from. (The drivers will also be in a much bigger hurry and a lot less friendly than what you are used to our west!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut