U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 09:46 AM

10,834 posts, read 11,943,429 times

Advertisements

Also, is it just me or is this idea of young people moving out of CT only a recent phenomenon with the new generation of kids? My parent's generation generally stayed in CT and raised kids. But these days it seems like kids feel "special" and like they need to be living in a big world class city or somewhere where it's warm and sunny all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 10:07 AM

2,152 posts, read 2,368,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Also, is it just me or is this idea of young people moving out of CT only a recent phenomenon with the new generation of kids? My parent's generation generally stayed in CT and raised kids. But these days it seems like kids feel "special" and like they need to be living in a big world class city or somewhere where it's warm and sunny all the time.
Think there are a lot of factors.

There is a lot of difference between older generations and the newer ones. People settle down way later today so therefore there is a desire to be single and free in 20s and experience a new city instead of settling down right away and living in a suburb.

With the economy the way it is and the way corporations function now. Its rare people are staying in there jobs 20+years.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:38 AM

2,440 posts, read 2,058,997 times
We forget with have Yale in New Haven. This is an Ivy league school that holds some of the brightest students in our Country/World. I would be interested to see where the grads from Yale end up moving too. My guess is NYC/Stamford, Boston or California and maybe Texas. NH is doing well, second I would say to Stamford, so maybe NH has something that is keeping the grads here after they graduate. I know there are some incubators in NH which offer Yale/anyone space to start businesses. I know Honest Tea was started by a Yale professor and his student. I believe the student moved to NYC right after graduating. If we can keep these minds here, we might have a shot.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:42 AM

1,583 posts, read 2,250,064 times
We left CT in April, moved to west coast of FL. Yes we are making a little less $ here but we are having a home built for a hair over $210k, 1978 sq feet, taxes $2300.00. Try that in CT. No state tax and no car tax here either. Also civilized weather, I will take scorching heat for a few months vs. 0 degrees and an ice scraper. 2.5 hours to Bradley if I want to visit but doubt we will move back. And I moved from Long Island to CT in 2004 because the cost of living was so much cheaper then...my taxes doubled from 2004 to 2013 in Glastonbury..and the economic climate slowly spiraled down. We don't regret leaving....89 here today

Old 05-07-2014, 05:38 AM

2,440 posts, read 2,058,997 times
I know I will get bashed for this by the G-Bury lovers, but I think this article shows what is happening in CT.

Closing A School Part Of Glastonbury Consolidation Proposals - Courant.com

G-Bury is one of the best school districts in all of CT, no argument there. However, in the past years elementary school enrollment has declined which is leading to lay offs and closing of a school. This tells me that CT, esp a great town like G-bury, is not attracting new young couples that have the means to start a family or even want to live in CT anymore. I know of at least 10 people from Glastonbury that went to college in another State and never came back. A couple families have moved to SC, FL and NC. But the aging population, the lack of well paying jobs and lack of opportunities will continue to erode the young people out of CT and they will not be coming back. This is a huge problem, that needs to be taken care of quickly.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:03 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,411,474 times
The insurance companies and childcare services people are willing to pay in West Hartford and Farmington, Hartford , Bloomfield, Simsbury, make it very clear there is still money circulating in this state. These people are having young kids. They will be Connecticut youth. The ones who stay will be a small but loyal bunch of residents. Compared to smalltown Ohio, New York City commuters pumps money into this state so there's more lifeline for this state.

If enough people move out, the New York City big wigs will buy up acres of it

The moving out of Connecticut has been a phenomenon for many decades and the state isn't dead yet.

And the way I see wealth in the boring SW Florida is "not my wealth creation; you can have it all." Money without a community quality of life standard is not money I'm interested in. Some things Connecticut offers, all the money in Tampa and Houston just can't buy. And you can see it for yourself.

Big big big houses for cheap. But no town common , or the bike-friendly hills and places in the town square where people meet. Just your house, your car, your shopping plaza...no thanks to that.

If all of the northern states collapse, I'll be going to Canada because those people can't move to Texas so easily and will be forced to actually keep a place with real seasons as the farthest south they can go without immigrating .

Last edited by EricS39; 05-07-2014 at 07:13 AM..

Old 05-07-2014, 07:19 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,411,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
We left CT in April, moved to west coast of FL. Yes we are making a little less $ here but we are having a home built for a hair over $210k, 1978 sq feet, taxes $2300.00. Try that in CT. No state tax and no car tax here either. Also civilized weather, I will take scorching heat for a few months vs. 0 degrees and an ice scraper. 2.5 hours to Bradley if I want to visit but doubt we will move back. And I moved from Long Island to CT in 2004 because the cost of living was so much cheaper then...my taxes doubled from 2004 to 2013 in Glastonbury..and the economic climate slowly spiraled down. We don't regret leaving....89 here today
Civilized weather? Just wait until the summer down there in SW Gulf Coast Florida. That civilized stagnant inescapable humidity and grass mold. That 89 degrees you have now is missing absent the dewpoint that will soon be climbing for you and then you will be stuck with it till first week November.

If I had to pick the best outdoor year-round weather I would go with San Diego

Old 05-07-2014, 08:16 AM

22,071 posts, read 36,390,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I know I will get bashed for this by the G-Bury lovers, but I think this article shows what is happening in CT.

Closing A School Part Of Glastonbury Consolidation Proposals - Courant.com

G-Bury is one of the best school districts in all of CT, no argument there. However, in the past years elementary school enrollment has declined which is leading to lay offs and closing of a school. This tells me that CT, esp a great town like G-bury, is not attracting new young couples that have the means to start a family or even want to live in CT anymore. I know of at least 10 people from Glastonbury that went to college in another State and never came back. A couple families have moved to SC, FL and NC. But the aging population, the lack of well paying jobs and lack of opportunities will continue to erode the young people out of CT and they will not be coming back. This is a huge problem, that needs to be taken care of quickly.
First of all, this is just a proposal. This is based on a trend but likely a temporary one. Glastonbury has long been a town for families and will continue to be so. I think the Board may be premature in considering closing a school. Heck it was not that long ago we built Nyaug. Fairfield went through a similar trend 20 years ago. They closed a high school and then several years later they had to reopen it. It cost the town millions because they did a knee jerk reaction. Glastonbury needs to move carefully on this. I am sure there will be a ton of opposition, including me. Jay

Old 05-07-2014, 10:53 AM

4,281 posts, read 6,491,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident
It was meant to be a tongue in cheek post. They actually weren't Greenwich "residents". Their mansion is in NY, not CT.
Ron Howards property is located entirely in Greenwich CT.
Interestingly enough I stumbled on this article:

Is It Greenwich Or Stamford? Lay Your Head On Either Side - NYTimes.com

If that's the case along the border of two municipalities within the same state, one can only imagine how much more strict they are along state lines.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:06 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,921,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
Kristin where do you live? Most of the kids from my highschool in FFC are all in NYC or somewhere else. I had college loans and now a car loan so i couldnt really afford to make that move but now am looking into doing a move somewhere
I live in Greenwich but grew up in Bridgeport. In Bridgeport I went to a magnet high school and my close friends were at the top of the class--all of them went to great schools and ended up moving out of CT permanently, even after a couple of them graduated from Yale. Acquaintances from Bridgeport who didn't go to college are still there and just want to be around friends/family. Only one of my friends who is college educated chose to stay in Connecticut after turning down an opportunity in Hawaii.

As for "born and bred" Greenwich young adults, they also seem to be leaving if they're educated. The few I've met who went to college moved to New York and Georgia. The few I've met who sat around at home after high school are still doing that...and will probably inherit their parents' Greenwich mansions many years down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut