U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-02-2014, 09:13 AM
 
1,692 posts, read 1,414,277 times
Reputation: 975

Advertisements

More embarrassed than CT should be Illinois. You have a US president who is from Illinois and his own home state is #1 not wanting to be in the state of the delegate who is lead spokesperson for the entire nation. Now that's sad
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2014, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Danbury, CT
267 posts, read 296,405 times
Reputation: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
CT is a great place to raise a family because the schools are excellent it is in a relatively nice location and the people are friendly.

It also has a lot of wealthy residents so there is a high amount of money available for public projects

Economically we took a turn for the worse starting in the early 90's when we enacted an income tax

We started focusing on social programs and ignored the economy

The only issues people think about are gun control, abortion and climate change

Trying to explain to someone that raising the minimum wage will destroy jobs, which is a proven fact, is like talking to a brick wall.

We keep giving example after example of companies leaving negative GDP etc because of high taxes and all you hear is "yeah but the GOP is racist and we are going to be destroyed by global warming if we allow the Keystone pipeline the rich are evil and we need to save the poor!"

Most people are stupid and this proves it
Honestly the minimum wage hike is modest at most. I think it will be around 10.10 national by 2017 anyway.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2014, 09:42 AM
 
Location: CT
2,127 posts, read 1,530,256 times
Reputation: 1642
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Funny you say that. I was talking about this with coworkers yesterday and one made this exact comment. I agree to a point, but I can understand why the elderly move down south. Snow becomes a hassle in old age.
The snow is arguably the biggest hassle during your working years. While shoveling becomes much more difficult bordering on dangerous for old people, my personal world is less affected or inconvenienced by missing bingo instead of showing up to the office. JMO.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2014, 09:47 AM
 
Location: CT
2,127 posts, read 1,530,256 times
Reputation: 1642
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLees View Post
Honestly the minimum wage hike is modest at most. I think it will be around 10.10 national by 2017 anyway.
I have no problem with reasonable minimum wage increases. I just find it laughable that all the new hype around it is "income inequality". Yeah, they really bridged the gap between millionaires and the poor by artificially inflating the worth of our lowest paying jobs. sigh. The concentration should be on bringing in more high paying high tech jobs that pay over 20 or even 30 bucks an hour. that would actually make a difference and it would be fair wages (not artificially mandated by government).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2014, 10:21 AM
 
5,061 posts, read 12,400,320 times
Reputation: 3479
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

NYC is simply too crowded, expensive and fast paced for me. I know many people (co-workers, friends) here in Fairfield County that avoid it like the plague, and I'm one of them. The tolls are unbelievable now. It's $7.50 each way in AND out. I know there is an alternate route with maybe only a $5.00 toll in, but still. NYC is simply a hassle to deal with. I like NOT paying tolls and being able to park in a parking lot for free.

In my opinion, if you're a nature-oriented person like me, there is nothing to do in NYC. It's all manmade commercialized "fun" that simply has limited appeal to me. I just don't find it pleasant to be constantly meandering through swarms of pedestrians and being super alert while driving. I hate NYC.

I enjoy thinks like hiking, sightseeing, historical sites and stuff like that.

I can deal with Boston much better, however.
I'm actually in complete agreement with you, and know a lot of people that feel the same.

Plus I'd rather be hot than cold. That said, I've come to the realization that I'd never actually want to live in the south, for reason I can't really state without offending southerners. You should try it though Nep, then maybe you will learn to appreciate Ct. more.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2014, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Hartford, CT
10,834 posts, read 11,962,205 times
Reputation: 6377
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I'm actually in complete agreement with you, and know a lot of people that feel the same.

Plus I'd rather be hot than cold. That said, I've come to the realization that I'd never actually want to live in the south, for reason I can't really state without offending southerners. You should try it though Nep, then maybe you will learn to appreciate Ct. more.
Oh, I fully appreciate CT. I think it's a beautiful, solid state. But it's just lacking in catering to people who are single and in their 30's. And, no matter how much you like CT, you gotta admit, after 30 years of living here, it could get stale.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2014, 10:26 AM
 
207 posts, read 191,618 times
Reputation: 106
The only way you could offend a southerner is to move there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2014, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Hartford, CT
10,834 posts, read 11,962,205 times
Reputation: 6377
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
In short, redo the survey during peak of autumn foliage

Survey accuracy is diminished by timing and duration of survey, how the questions were phrased, persuasive tone of the caller, how much margin of difference there are between the state rankings

Conclusions to draw from survey would need to consider just because Connecticut residents complain more often doesn't reflect they are more inclined to follow thru, relative to when people down south openly complain. Culture difference. Also someone mentioned a wealthier per capita state contains a people who can move back and forth more often by nature. So then there are pockets of people buried in other states who may be seeking to move back home and survey isn't capturing this.
That would be even worse for me. I can't stand autumn. It signifies decline, decay and the plunge into cold and darkness. Fall foliage never looked beautiful or appealing to me, either. However, I DO like spring foliage, because it signifies life, growth, warmth and daylight. Also, autumn always represented going back to school, which was not a cool thing, growing up.

To me, autumn is the worst of the four seasons, because I think it's just plain ugly. Especially in the latter half of autumn, when the trees look completely dead, it's cold, dark and there's not even white snow to look pretty.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2014, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Fairfield County, CT
14,474 posts, read 20,052,743 times
Reputation: 4610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
The snow is arguably the biggest hassle during your working years. While shoveling becomes much more difficult bordering on dangerous for old people, my personal world is less affected or inconvenienced by missing bingo instead of showing up to the office. JMO.
Snow is a hassle at any age, but in younger years, you can shovel whenever you want. When you're elderly, you don't have that advantage. You either have to pay someone or wait until it melts. Even when you do pay someone, rarely will they shovel your front steps or rear patio. I can certainly see why FL looks good to senior citizens. If you take a poll of all transplants in FL, the vast majority will likely mention snow as a reason for moving.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2014, 10:43 AM
 
5,061 posts, read 12,400,320 times
Reputation: 3479
I've known a lot of elderly people to slip on ice and break hips etc. during the winter, too.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top