Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 10:42 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times

Advertisements

Let's start at the root of the problem. Talented high school seniors that move away from CT to attend college somewhere else. CT is #3 highest of exported seniors with 53%.

Going Away to College: Data Dive on 350,000 HS Grads | Niche Ink

If we can retain at least a portion of these kids CT could be booming, but when the young risk takers leave we are left as dry and old with no new ideas.

This begs the question how many seniors does CT import. CT has some great schools. I have yet to find that number.

Last edited by Mr_250; 06-05-2014 at 11:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 01:10 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
The only reason I'd want to move out of Connecticut is the unfavorable climate in the winter and summer. I'm more of a desert fan - Arizona and New Mexico, parts of Utah and Nevada.

If I had unlimited income (or was filthy stinkin rich) I'd live in Connecticut during the spring and autumn, and have an adobe in Santa Fe for the summer and winter.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:49 PM

543 posts, read 1,900,985 times
In response to my earlier post, I have to say I have never been to Hartford, although West Hartford was one of the areas we were interested in. And yes, SHU is on the border of Bridgeport, which is definitley not the safest place to live, but I was not really interested in living near there.

My in-laws live in Stratford and have always pursuaded us from moving to CT because of the expense and the weather, although my daughter, a native Californian loves the change of seasons and has adjusted very well.
I am happy to hear that there are still people who love living there becuase truly it is one of my favorite places to visit. I visited a friend in New Canaan and just driving around with her I guess I realized how wealthy you really need to be to survive there. I am sure as you move away from the city though the COL is somewhat better. Also, had we moved from CA to CT I probably wouldn't have been so affected by the prices of gas, food, homes, etc. And like another poster said, it's not a place that is easy for someone right out of college to get started in, and I have 3 of those kids. I would at least like a chance of living near one of them.

The observation about the people of CT can be said for my homestate of CA as well. When I went home I realized how much everyone keeps to themselves, me included. That part doesn't really bother me. It's more the fact that when I am now living in a place where people feel pride and love for where they live. And then when I people who were stressed-financially and mentally, it became evident that CT might not live up to all I dreamt it was. Even my friend who recently moved back to CT from CA told me "be careful what you wish for." :0

Obviously CT and CA have a lot to offer in many areas such as beauty, weather, culture, etc. or they wouldn't be so popular. I guess I was disappointed to be there and talk to people who either felt "stuck" and wanted out, or people who didn't understand why I would EVER want to live there. Maybe the next trip back I need to high tail it out of FF county and get the opinions of some mutual CT lovers.

Last edited by oc2nyc; 06-05-2014 at 02:08 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 06:05 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
In response to my earlier post, I have to say I have never been to Hartford, although West Hartford was one of the areas we were interested in. And yes, SHU is on the border of Bridgeport, which is definitley not the safest place to live, but I was not really interested in living near there.

My in-laws live in Stratford and have always pursuaded us from moving to CT because of the expense and the weather, although my daughter, a native Californian loves the change of seasons and has adjusted very well.
I am happy to hear that there are still people who love living there becuase truly it is one of my favorite places to visit. I visited a friend in New Canaan and just driving around with her I guess I realized how wealthy you really need to be to survive there. I am sure as you move away from the city though the COL is somewhat better. Also, had we moved from CA to CT I probably wouldn't have been so affected by the prices of gas, food, homes, etc. And like another poster said, it's not a place that is easy for someone right out of college to get started in, and I have 3 of those kids. I would at least like a chance of living near one of them.

The observation about the people of CT can be said for my homestate of CA as well. When I went home I realized how much everyone keeps to themselves, me included. That part doesn't really bother me. It's more the fact that when I am now living in a place where people feel pride and love for where they live. And then when I people who were stressed-financially and mentally, it became evident that CT might not live up to all I dreamt it was. Even my friend who recently moved back to CT from CA told me "be careful what you wish for." :0

Obviously CT and CA have a lot to offer in many areas such as beauty, weather, culture, etc. or they wouldn't be so popular. I guess I was disappointed to be there and talk to people who either felt "stuck" and wanted out, or people who didn't understand why I would EVER want to live there. Maybe the next trip back I need to high tail it out of FF county and get the opinions of some mutual CT lovers.
Don't use Fairfield County as an indicator of how CT living is in general. Fairfield County is the oddball county within CT. It is an extension of NYC, really. The rest of CT is so much different, much more affordable and has much less traffic and an easier life in general.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:14 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Don't use Fairfield County as an indicator of how CT living is in general. Fairfield County is the oddball county within CT. It is an extension of NYC, really. The rest of CT is so much different, much more affordable and has much less traffic and an easier life in general.
I agree with this statement, but wish to make the distinction that "more affordable than FFC" and "reasonably affordable for the services provided" are 2 different things entirely. All of CT is expensive. Some towns being worse than others. FOr example Naugatuck and Waterbury are 2 towns that come to mind where you can find decent houses in a respectable price range, but will have taxes somewhere in the 8k + range which, in terms of monthly payments, more than make up for housing costs in much nicer towns.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:39 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,517 times
Quote:
don't use fairfield county as an indicator of how ct living is in general. Fairfield county is the oddball county within ct. It is an extension of nyc, really. The rest of ct is so much different, much more affordable and has much less traffic and an easier life in general.
^^this^^

Old 06-06-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
I agree with this statement, but wish to make the distinction that "more affordable than FFC" and "reasonably affordable for the services provided" are 2 different things entirely. All of CT is expensive. Some towns being worse than others. FOr example Naugatuck and Waterbury are 2 towns that come to mind where you can find decent houses in a respectable price range, but will have taxes somewhere in the 8k + range which, in terms of monthly payments, more than make up for housing costs in much nicer towns.
Yeah, but in Hartford County, for example, the cost of living is MUCH less than Fairfield County, yet the jobs pay only slightly less than they do in Fairfield County. The ratio of income-to-housing costs is superior in Hartford County. I'm sorry, but if someone is struggling to make ends meet in Hartford County, they're doing it wrong. Trust me, I've lived in both areas and now that I live in Fairfield County, I totally laugh when people up near Hartford complain about "CT being too expensive." Oh please. It's the cheapest large metro area in New England.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but in Hartford County, for example, the cost of living is MUCH less than Fairfield County, yet the jobs pay only slightly less than they do in Fairfield County. The ratio of income-to-housing costs is superior in Hartford County. I'm sorry, but if someone is struggling to make ends meet in Hartford County, they're doing it wrong. Trust me, I've lived in both areas and now that I live in Fairfield County, I totally laugh when people up near Hartford complain about "CT being too expensive." Oh please. It's the cheapest large metro area in New England.
I'm sensing a bit of elitism there. CT IS expensive. Even Hartford County. Maybe not for the tri state, but certainly compared to most of the rest of the country...yes, even the rest of New England minus Boston. But boston has a lot more jobs, higher pay, more universities (especially top tier), and a more lively culture.

The only thing I'm "doing wrong" is pissing money away for wasteful liberal spending. T - 11 months till liberation for me.

Last edited by Sigequinox; 06-06-2014 at 09:27 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
I'm sensing a bit of elitism there. CT IS expensive. Even Hartford County. Maybe not for the tri state, but certainly compared to most of the rest of the country...yes, even the rest of New England minus Boston. But boston has a lot more jobs, higher pay, more universities (especially top tier), and a more lively culture.

The only thing I'm "doing wrong" is pissing money away for wasteful liberal spending. T - 11 months for till liberation for me.
"Expensive" is a relative concept. Would you rather live in an area where it costs $400K to buy a home and you earn a salary of $80K or live in an area where it costs $250K to buy a home and you earn a salary of $70K?

Old 06-06-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
"Expensive" is a relative concept. Would you rather live in an area where it costs $400K to buy a home and you earn a salary of $80K or live in an area where it costs $250K to buy a home and you earn a salary of $70K?
13% decrease in salary for a 38% decrease in cost of comparable home? absolutely--assuming other COL variables such as property and income tax etc are commensurate.

If I can live somewhere that has no income tax, property tax on a 350k home built in the 21st century is less than 2k/year, oil is cheaper, electric is cheaper, gas is cheaper, and take a 10% cut on my salary that is a financial no brainer. Then if QOL variables such as universities, public school, municipal services, restaurants, entertainment etc are equal, the decision is even easier still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut