U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 06:00 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,296,958 times

Advertisements

CT is a close 2nd to IL in percentage of residents who want out.

Half in Illinois and Connecticut Want to Move Elsewhere

Quote:

PRINCETON, NJ -- Every state has at least some residents who are looking for greener pastures, but nowhere is the desire to move more prevalent than in Illinois and Connecticut. In both of these states, about half of residents say that if given the chance to move to a different state, they would like to do so. Maryland is a close third, at 47%. By contrast, in Montana, Hawaii, and Maine, just 23% say they would like to relocate. Nearly as few -- 24% -- feel this way in Oregon, New Hampshire, and Texas.

These findings are from a 50-state Gallup poll, conducted June-December 2013, which includes at least 600 representative interviews with residents aged 18 and older in each state. Gallup measured residents' interest in moving out of state by asking, "Regardless of whether you will move, if you had the opportunity, would you like to move to another state, or would you rather remain in your current state?"
Thirty-three percent of residents want to move to another state, according to the average of the 50 state responses. Seventeen states come close to that 50-state average. Another 16 are above the average range, including three showing an especially high desire to move. In fact, in these three -- Illinois, Connecticut, and Maryland -- roughly as many residents want to leave as want to stay.
At the other end of the spectrum, 17 states are home to a below-average percentage of residents wanting to leave. This includes the previously mentioned six states -- Montana, Hawaii, Maine, Oregon, New Hampshire, and Texas -- where fewer than one in four want to move, the lowest level recorded. The detailed results for all 50 states are shown on page 2.

In the same poll, Gallup asked state residents how likely it is they will move in the next 12 months. On average across all 50 states, 6% of state residents say it is extremely or very likely they will move in the next year, 8% say it is somewhat likely, 14% not too likely, and 73% not likely at all.
The combined percentages reporting they are extremely, very, or somewhat likely to move out of state ranges from 8% in Maine, Iowa, and Vermont to 20% in Nevada. Although these figures are still high relative to the actual percentage of Americans who move out of state each year, they provide a basis for evaluating each state's risk of losing population that is somewhat stronger than the sheer desire of its residents to move.

Of course, all states enjoy an influx of new residents as well as outflows, so these intention-to-move data are only part of the population-change picture, but an important one.
Those saying it is at least somewhat likely they will move were asked to say why, in their own words. The biggest factor residents give for planning to move is for work or business reasons -- the 50-state average is 31%. This is followed by family or other social reasons (19%), weather or location (11%), and then seeking a better quality of life or change (9%).
In most states, it is not possible to view these answers because there are too few respondents, but in each of the 11 states with the highest percentages wanting to leave, roughly 100 answered the question. The breakdown of the open-ended responses for these 11 states is shown in the accompanying graph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 06:17 PM

267 posts, read 296,522 times
Good. I wouldn't want the state population to grow too fast. I hope the negative naysayers who don't appreciate all of the great things we have here are replaced by those who do.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:02 PM

701 posts, read 553,205 times
I think that number is a bit low for CT.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:42 PM

250 posts, read 296,666 times
I would love to come back to Connecticut. Perhaps if enough folks leave, housing prices will be reasonable considering I'm coming from Georgia.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:48 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,296,958 times
Maybe Malloy will see this and offer money for people to stay in CT

Old 05-01-2014, 05:12 AM

678 posts, read 545,371 times
The only place I'd really sacrifice over Connecticut is Southern California. That's it. If I move elsewhere, it's probably because of family, really.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:53 AM

2,127 posts, read 1,531,152 times
Surprised NY is not higher than CT, but not surprised CT is at nearly 50%. The wife and I are going on our first exploratory mission May 23rd. Will continue to check out places through the summer and ideally be out by next spring.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:11 AM

2,440 posts, read 2,066,336 times
Not surprised. CT is losing people, young people, which is the backbone to society. Young people are the risk takers, innovators and dreamers who have the ability to lose or hopefully win. As others have pointed out CT is a place for families. People will move away after college and then when they have a family move back up here, work for Aenta make six figures and live in Avon. CT has ZERO innovations. I just came back from Charleston and I have never seen so much activity, building and young entrepreneurs starting out. Some will fail, some will win and some will stumble, but there is SOMETHING going on. CT is stagnant and will remain as such for the foreseeable future. I visited Charleston for two reasons:
(1) - Vacation and to visit GF best friends who moved there (along with her family) from CT.
(2) - Check out the locations. I want to start a business and I refuse to become a corporate slave. CT will not allow me the chance to start this business (unions and high cost of living). SC offers this, I would take a cut in pay, but would be paying essentially half for living so it would equal out.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:53 AM

701 posts, read 553,205 times
I am just suprised the Goverment does not care, people are fleeing this state in record numbers and no one seems to care, good I cant wait to leave this dump.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:11 AM

616 posts, read 523,864 times
WDRC-FM 102.9 of Hartford also mentioned this story today. Like I sad to them: Give me the fundage and I'll gladly rent the moving van! Maybe I'd go back to Maine? Who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut