U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 07:22 AM

2,391 posts, read 2,065,516 times

Advertisements

Several people in my office commute from north Jersey to Stamford. Its not a particularly fun commute with 287 and the TZB and then 95 into Stamford. If you don't have to live in Jersey, I would suggest you look in CT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 09:09 AM

22,053 posts, read 36,363,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab456 View Post
I will be working in Downtown stamford near UBS. I guess you all right, living near work is a more convenient. I am thinking to move to CT.

I hope you all will response on helping me give suggestion for safe neighborhood close to shopping area and other activities around.

I am willing to spend between $1300 to $1500 for rent and looking for 2bd Room apt. I don't have any kids, it will be me and my wife and I will be making 105K. Hope some one can give me feedback on taxes and other cost of living in CT.
I am not sure what kind of 2 bedroom rental you can find in Stamford at that price. You might need to head up the line to a less expensive town or go with a smaller apartment. Sorry but you are moving to one of the priciest parts of the country so you will not be able to get much in that price range.

You say you cannot commute by train but your job is near station and they have a shuttle. Why won't you use the train? It would be the easiest way to get to your job if you live in a less expensive town. You might want to consider Fairfield, Bridgeport (Black Rock west of Ellsworth Street; downtown or the North End), Sratford or Milford. Jay

Old 05-05-2014, 01:25 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,920,176 times
I work near UBS in Stamford and you do not need to take the shuttle from the train station; the area is within very close walking distance of the station. You should commute via train. You are not going to find a 2BR rental within your price range in Stamford, Greenwich, or Darien unless it is falling apart. Since you don't have kids, you could reconsider whether you really need a 2BR apartment if you want to live in a more affluent area. If you need the 2nd bedroom, I would recommend looking at Fairfield or Milford for rentals and taking the train into work everyday.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:56 AM

394 posts, read 419,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I would NEVER live in NJ and commute to Stamford unless I had a good reason. There is nothing in NJ that you can't find closer to your job so I would encourage you to just look for apartments in Stamford or Norwalk. Remember commuting from NJ means you will have to cross the Hudson and the crossings in the morning into NY are very busy.
Not only that but there is also high tolls as well. $5 every day for crossing the Tappan Zee Bridge. It doesn't sound like so much but doing it every day all adds up. That means $35 a weak just in tolls plus gas is also expensive as well.

Probably not the best idea.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:03 AM

394 posts, read 419,147 times
If moving to Connecticut try Greenwich, Westport, Fairfield, Trumbull, Stratford, Shelton, or Milford. They are all great towns and pretty upper class areas.

I do not recommend Bridgeport because it is a major city with: high crime rate, so many people jammed in a small size, and towns around it call it the garbage city. Its really not a place you would want to live in.

Greenwich would be a good choice because you would be commuting against traffic. Also try Westport and Fairfield if you want a little more upper class towns. But all 3 of these towns might be a little beyond your budget depending on how big a home you want. If so try Trumbull, Shelton, Stratford, or Milford. Trumbull and Milford would be the best out of those four because they Trumbull has a mall and although its an inland town, I think you can get passes to Fairfield beach for a discounted rate. Milford has a huge mall and also a huge shopping area to. Shelton and Stratford are good but Shelton is an inland town which is a little hike from amenities, and Stratford is good as well, but it has a small airport right near the beach so you might not like it as nice. Although I like it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut