U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2014, 09:57 AM

627 posts, read 748,955 times

Advertisements

If our realtor would just give us his MLS login, then I would probably not feel the need to use Zillow.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 10:35 AM

8,783 posts, read 15,209,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams798 View Post

However, Zillow is a great tool it has everything in one application Pictures, Detailed Maps, Over Head Views from Bing/Google, tells how many times the house has been on or off the market and price changes (yes this can be inaccurate, but you can see if this "new" listing is just a relisted listing that appears new to a prospective home buyer.

Maybe if the MLS would develop their website to be more like Zillow and the like maybe people wouldn't use them to look for houses. The MLS in CT looks like a website from the 90's....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackfu View Post
If our realtor would just give us his MLS login, then I would probably not feel the need to use Zillow.
I'm finding realtor.com to be superior to Zillow for active listings. True, you won't see FSBO on realtor, but realtor doesn't "miss" listings like Zillow does, and you're less likely to find listings that should have been deleted 3 months ago, like this one for example.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:22 PM

454 posts, read 443,886 times
Default selling your house with Zillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK10 View Post
Hi folks - we're getting close to putting our Southbury house on the market. Has anyone had any experience using Zillow's 'Make Me Move Price" or listing your house on Zillow? Wondering if it makes sense to try it before calling the realtor.
How did it go? Did you sell your house? use a Realtor? I tried using a realtor to sell my beach cottage which didn't work out then I listed on Zillow myself as "for sale" and was able to sell it direct of course I had a lawyer represent me in the transaction. Only thing is that you have to deal with all the people that say that they are in the market when many times other motives are working behind the scenes. Like maybe they are trying to price their own house, or they are just out having fun looking at houses?
Real Estate is all about price and timing. If you have a great price, timing might not matter. It did take a year to sell it myself and I did have to move the price down. If you find yourself in that situation I suggest moving the price down very slowly. Also, Zillow records each price change. I found to price very close to the Zestimate is a good idea unless there is a good reason; (that Zillow can't know) why your house should be priced higher. Like you just remodeled the kitchen, because Zillow bases everything on a price-per-square-foot average. Also, like if they have your school district incorrectly listed or if they have the wrong square footage listed. Important to check all that is correct before determining the price.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:07 PM

151 posts, read 182,768 times
I have a house on the market right now and can tell you when I had a MMM I got no interest, but when I moved it to FSBO I did get some contacts. My issue is I went on the market at a terrible time, mid-July. I have an agent, but frankly, I'm likely to relist it in the Spring. I'm going to do 2 weeks of Zillow in early March, then do an FSBO service to get into the MLS and agree to pay the buyer's broker fee of 2.5% for another 4 weeks, then if I make it to mid-April with nothing I will list with a regular selling agent. I find these agents do so little, and the commission KILLS me but people still use them.

The brokers want you to set your own appointments anyway so I am left feeling like what do you guys *do*???

Last edited by DairyGodmother; 08-25-2014 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: forgot to end a sentence

Old 08-27-2014, 12:49 PM

24 posts, read 27,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCT View Post
How did it go? Did you sell your house? use a Realtor? I tried using a realtor to sell my beach cottage which didn't work out then I listed on Zillow myself as "for sale" and was able to sell it direct of course I had a lawyer represent me in the transaction. Only thing is that you have to deal with all the people that say that they are in the market when many times other motives are working behind the scenes. Like maybe they are trying to price their own house, or they are just out having fun looking at houses?
Real Estate is all about price and timing. If you have a great price, timing might not matter. It did take a year to sell it myself and I did have to move the price down. If you find yourself in that situation I suggest moving the price down very slowly. Also, Zillow records each price change. I found to price very close to the Zestimate is a good idea unless there is a good reason; (that Zillow can't know) why your house should be priced higher. Like you just remodeled the kitchen, because Zillow bases everything on a price-per-square-foot average. Also, like if they have your school district incorrectly listed or if they have the wrong square footage listed. Important to check all that is correct before determining the price.
Didn't use Zillow - using a Realtor and still on market - although Zillow and realtor.com and just about every other site picks up the listings from MLS so it's all over the internet anyway. Decided against Zillow and other DYI sites because there's really no way to screen people. When they come with a Realtor they almost always have been pre-qualified.

Zillow is not very accurate, but you can go on as owner and make corrections in the comment section. I do wonder where they get the original data from because it is different than what town hall has.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:35 PM

48 posts, read 113,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never2L8 View Post
If you list with a realtor using MLS, Zillow will pick up the listing and show it as a house for sale (at least they do here in NY).

That said, Zillow is stunningly inaccurate even when pulling info from the MLS listing! It can be really laughable. A friend of mine currently has her house for sale on MLS here on LI and among the inaccuracies that Zillow's page for her house shows are:

- Shows it as a Townhouse instead of a SFH
- Shows it as a 3-bath house instead of 2.5 bath
- Shows lot size as "unknown" instead of .5 acre which is shown on MLS
- Shows the heating type, cooling type, fireplace, basement type and floor covering as all "unknown" even though each is clearly specified/shown on MLS
- Shows the roof type as "other" (what the heck is an "other" roof? It's typical asphalt shingles, LOL)

Her realtor has tried to get Zillow to correct their information but hasn't been able to do so.

Supposedly Zillow gets a ton of traffic but I wonder how many people are really potential buyers. Everyone I know thinks that Zillow's information is wrong more often than it's right.
Don't forget, the information on Zillow gets put in by the home owner. That said, we have our house on Zillow and have had several showings. I put the information in. Our next step is to get an MLS for the house.

Unless I have it wrong, I didn't realize that Zillow pulled info. from the MLS.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:51 PM

48 posts, read 113,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyGodmother View Post
I have a house on the market right now and can tell you when I had a MMM I got no interest, but when I moved it to FSBO I did get some contacts. My issue is I went on the market at a terrible time, mid-July. I have an agent, but frankly, I'm likely to relist it in the Spring. I'm going to do 2 weeks of Zillow in early March, then do an FSBO service to get into the MLS and agree to pay the buyer's broker fee of 2.5% for another 4 weeks, then if I make it to mid-April with nothing I will list with a regular selling agent. I find these agents do so little, and the commission KILLS me but people still use them.

The brokers want you to set your own appointments anyway so I am left feeling like what do you guys *do*???
Just be careful and read the fine print before paying for a MLS. I read the fine print before purchasing an MLS, ONLY to find out the MLS (Our house) would NOT be advertised in Connecticut!!!! Why in the world would I pay for this service and not have it advertised in my State?

We used a few Realtors and found they didn't do heck of a lot. One Agent cost us a buyer. The purchaser's agent had the signed contract, yet, our Realtor NEVER went and picked it up!!!!!! It was on a weekend and apparently he couldn't have been bothered. When I questioned why he wasn't picking it up, he told me I was being paranoid!! Turns out, while our agent was doing nothing, the purchaser's spent that weekend looking at more houses, and bought another home.

Our last Agent told us to price our home at 325K. Sounded good, so we signed with her. She was useless. Every few days she called us to lower our price in 10K increments. She reeled us in with a good starting price, again, to only to call and have us keep lowering. We finally stuck to our guns and said "To #ell with Realtors.

They were useless..... I'm sure there are a lot of good one's. We didn't luck out with one of those.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:56 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,297,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK10 View Post
Hi folks - we're getting close to putting our Southbury house on the market. Has anyone had any experience using Zillow's 'Make Me Move Price" or listing your house on Zillow? Wondering if it makes sense to try it before calling the realtor.
I listed ours and had a buyer within hours. I found it attracted serious buyers who were very motivated. We had lots of people call, but they were all just a tad too late as the first callers made an offer.

Ignore the naysayers who have no first hand experience. There are anecdotal stories of this and that, but most of that has other factors which effected the outcome. Its a good tool in the bag for selling your house. It's not the only tool, but there is no downside. I also used it to buy my new house. Sure, there are sometimes errors, but then what system doesn't? I never felt the percentage was significant and certainly no worse than other methods. Whatever you do, don't hire a Realtor if you have basic common sense and have been through the process before, or if you just like spending money. In today's world you can do your own marketing as well as an agent. Spend a few bucks to hire a real estate attorney to handle the closing and you are set. A Realtor in today's world, in most markets and for most houses is simply unnecessary.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:43 AM

164 posts, read 259,977 times
The last two times we sold/bought we used a realtor for buying, but sold our old house ourselves. We found services that would get our homes listed in the MLS/Realtor.com and we offered commission to the buying agent, so we basically were saving the commission we would have paid to our selling agent. We did some web design work at the time, so I set up a very professional looking website with lots of great photos (and we staged our house to show it off well). The Realtor.com listing had some of the photos but also a link back to our website.

With the first one we sold (here in CT), we tried to mimic what the realtors would do and had an initial open house, or whatever it was called, where we invited realtors from the area, had some appetizers, etc., but we got very little interest. In general, we found that the realtors had a very condescending attitude about us selling the house on our own (and/or acted nice, but did so only as a prequel to them trying to sell us on using them as a selling agent). As luck would have it, we sold the house to someone who didn't have an agent of their own, so we were more willing to come down a bit more on price since we didn't have to pay any commission there.

The last house we sold (in PA) we wanted to sell quickly, so I gave it what I thought was a pretty low price to start. That might have been a mistake since the first offer is almost always lower than list price (unless it's a true seller's market, which it wasn't at the time), so by the time all of the back and forth was done, we ended up taking a little bit bigger loss than I would have liked. In that situation the buyers agent we were using in CT (to help us find our new house) was willing to double-check the offers we were getting in PA, give us free advice, etc., which was great.

Overall, I'd say that if you have a knack for staging, taking high quality photos, marketing, etc. (or have friends/family that fit that bill), you can do it, but a lot of the realtors won't make it easy on you, because you're horning in on their turf. It's a shame, really, because most of it isn't rocket science. The tricky part is more with the contracts, money for down payment, etc., which is where you definitely want to pay for a lawyer and then maybe refer back to how the contracts were set up the last time you bought/sold.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:56 PM

34 posts, read 21,707 times
bump!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut