Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 07:36 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times

Advertisements

We've lived in the area 20 years, and have had friends in Sandy Hook/Newtown even longer. Those in the Sandy Hook section say they are from Newtown, or the Sandy Hook section of Newtown. I never heard anyone simply say Sandy Hook, unless speaking to someone really local. Although since the tragedy more are inclined to point out Sandy Hook. Some people do think of the Sandy Hook area (specifically Alpine/Lake Zoar) area as a less desirable area...and finally, single family HOMES have definitely dropped as low as mentioned in many cases. You can't include condos, that's comparing apples to oranges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 10:06 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Newtown real estate is an excellent value for Fairfield County, like nearby Bethel, Monroe and Shelton. Yes, Newtown has seen a decline in value since the peak in 2006, but that can be said for every town in the country. It's rebounding, but I don't think any community will see the '06 prices anytime soon.

As for Sandy Hook, it's very much a part of Newtown. The area along Lake Zoar has long been the more "working class" section of Newtown (same with Southbury, Monroe and Oxford which are also on Zoar), but a lot of the cottages that used to be second homes are being tripled in size or torn down to make room for new, expensive housing. Sandy Hook is not what it was in 1985, but unfortunately many who do not know the area well view it as such.

I will second what andthentherewere3 said - anyone who lives in Sandy Hook will say they live in Newtown, not in Sandy Hook.

Overall, Newtown is a beautiful, upper middle class town with great schools.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:10 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Uh yeah, I know it is. But people who live in Sandy Hook, have "Sandy Hook" on their licenses, not "Newtown". And the huge majority of the houses from 200-300k are in Sandy Hook. Newtown proper has 12. If you ask someone in Newtown where they live, they will tell you either Newtown or Sandy Hook. If they live in Sandy Hook, they won't tell you Newtown. Get it now?
I had several friends in Sandy Hook, and some relatives just moved there. They say they moved to/lived in Newtown.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:08 PM

123 posts, read 166,503 times
Thanks everyone- you have given us a cornucopia of insightful views- m

Old 05-09-2014, 10:58 AM

678 posts, read 847,199 times
I currently live in Sandy Hook and andthentherewere3 is spot on for his description. As a current resident of Sandy Hook, I also say Newtown, unless speaking to someone local, usually someone from the town.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:32 PM

370 posts, read 608,807 times
I live in Newtown and the traffic around Newtown High in the morning is an absolute disaster. That whole section needs some major overhauling in terms of traffic flow. That is my only negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut