U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 06:40 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,410,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
I am planning to move (husband put in a transfer to Nashville last week) but I've talked to my 20-something acquaintances who have no desire to leave about this. The #1 reason they don't leave is because they don't want to leave behind friends and family. They see the taxes and bad winters as necessary sacrifices to stay close to the people they love. Their entertainment and enjoyment comes from hanging out at friends' houses, bars, and local venues in Black Rock & New Haven.

Other people love their towns (like Greenwich and Easton). They love the houses they bought, they appreciate their neighbors, they enjoy the seasons. They don't get bored because they enjoy being at home and going out for dinner/walks in the towns where they live. They also spend time sailing, kayaking, or doing whatever it is they do at their local fitness clubs. If they want to get out of town, they go to NYC or Boston or Vermont. Obviously people who live (where I live) in Fairfield County already have decent salaries so they're not complaining much about prices of gas/homes and taxes. Again, they see the COL as a necessary sacrifice to live in the towns they love.

As for guns, the gun lovers I know own multiple guns. It may be a pain in the butt to take the courses necessary to get your pistol permit, but once you have one everything's easy. You have to wait a few weeks on a background check to get a new gun, but it's like that anywhere.

Needless to say, if you're unhappy hanging out with the people you've known your whole life, don't want to be involved in outdoor sports or neighborhood groups, only enjoy the amenities of major cities to be entertained, and struggle to have spending money after bills/taxes then you're going to have a bad time in Connecticut.
And I moved into Connecticut from down South and won't be leaving the state unless I'm forced into extreme poverty and I came here with no family/friends

And I love going into the city and yet living in a nice balcony 1.5 bedroom apt for $900/month while people in Brooklyn and jersey would pay double the rent

I like being a quirky person who blends in randomly with these neighborhood groups bravely as if I was born and raised here. You should try it out. Go to a neighbor's block party and just show up and entertain the people....it's really not that hard. People are friendly in this state.

And NYC is not out of realm of CT residents, but I'm kind of glad the majority of you think it is because it explains why my rent is lower than it would be if people did look at if as an outlying suburb of Manhattan

Last edited by EricS39; 05-05-2014 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 05:22 PM

1,088 posts, read 931,887 times
I sometimes wonder how expensive the northeast really is. The trend I see is the closer you get to a city the cost goes up and the further you get from a city the cost goes down. I was born and raised in New York but now reside in Virginia and I gotta tell ya NYC is really not a huge interest of mine. We enjoy going hiking in the trails, cooking outside, meeting up with friends, and my youngest races BMX. In my opinion I bet there are people who live in CT who are happy. If I was granted a wish I would pick a quaint New England country town to call home, as far away from NYC as possible. Hopefully there is a BMX track there so my son can continue to rAce.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:31 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,011,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Where Texas shines is how much house you will get for 300k. CT is pathetic in terms of purchasing power.
I know you were only referencing CT specifically but - some parts of New York (like the Binghamton area) have some of the lowest single family home prices in the country, cheaper than almost anywhere in Texas. It really depends on where you're talking about specifically. You really don't need to go far from CT (especially not to Texas) to find cheap housing.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:47 AM

But Binghamton is not cheap due to low taxes lol

It's cheap in upstate NY only because no job opportunities there kind of like South Detroit and Flint, so you can't do anything for a living by being there and so of course property is low and vacant

Texas is job boom and low property to go with it, a combination that only exists in a low tax red politically Conservative pro-business friendly state.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:03 AM

2,604 posts, read 2,379,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
But Binghamton is not cheap due to low taxes lol

It's cheap in upstate NY only because no job opportunities there kind of like South Detroit and Flint, so you can't do anything for a living by being there and so of course property is low and vacant

Texas is job boom and low property to go with it, a combination that only exists in a low tax red politically Conservative pro-business friendly state.
I'm not sure that combination only exists in "red states". Oh and a ton of red states have no "job booms" Look at alabama ect. These states are poor.

look at the median income at towns like amherst, ny right near buffalo.
http://www.city-data.com/city/Amherst-New-York.html
68k with an average home price of 164,000

You can't compare the burbs of buffalo, which are as safe as rocky hill, to south detroit. LOL Also, a lot of these inner cities of Texas are extremely dangerous and flooded with crime even with the draconian harsh stance on crime they take in Texas. It's a place where the governor would run ads claiming how many people he executed and bragging about it.

Again, no jobs in upstate new york? Look at the median incomes of some of the burbs of buffalo, rochester , syracuse ect. The inner city of buffalo has areas that are absolutely horrible. But that's no different than most american cities.

I think there's another factor at play than "taxes"/conservative state. Property taxes are astronomical in all of upstate new york. Look at the mill rates. Yet apartments are still cheap.

Again, the whole conservative ideology kind of falls apart. "Lower taxes"/"small government repub. propoganda" doesn't mean what people think it means. It ends up getting swallowed up by the top 1% anyway and you end up with less services. It's a big piece of pie. It truly is.

Last edited by mikelizard860; 05-07-2014 at 08:13 AM..

Old 05-07-2014, 08:06 AM

2,604 posts, read 2,379,036 times
Oh and another place that had a job boom was North dakota, which is a solid republican state. But that was nothing to do with politics/taxes, but the fact they have oil! Cost of living sky rocketed once that boom took place. It didn't stay low.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:10 PM

8,558 posts, read 3,573,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Connecticut problems:
Limited job growth
High taxes
Expensive to live
Some say it's boring and too cold a climate, but not me

Texas problems:
So much money people don't know what to buy first...too many choices on what you can buy with millions in the bank

So many job opportunities that people don't know what job will make them happiest so it's tough because you have to decide which job you want to do while though you only need one parent working . Since every job has an immediate high paying offer you have to be careful not to speak up or you will get offers like $750,000 a year and it will make you not able to sleep if you turn these down

So much growth that the state can't keep up with building the new roads and schools fast enough, though they do because they have hundreds of millions of dollars in Govt surplus. But having all this high speed development gets tiring ....just so much to be done all the time

Which problems are better to have?

People are asking of Texas questions like

How do you do it all????

How do you build all these new roads???

How do you do so much????

How do you do it all????
Your perception of average salaries in Texas is inaccurate. Average per capita income for the most recent data I was able to find in 2012: Connecticut avg = $ 58,908; Texas avg = $ 41,471. FWIW, even my native state of Minnesota was higher than Texas. North Dakota with its own oil boom...also higher than Texas. www.bber.unm.edu/econ/us=pci.htm.

Yes, Texas is growing and more jobs are a part of that. However, the perception that more than a small fraction are high paying is incorrect.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:05 PM

It's also what you can buy with less money in terms of land, what you don't owe in taxes, what basic daily living will cost you. It by a landslide creams the high cost of CT living for west of CT River

I would never argue that CT is a place to move to increase your level of savings ... I am as Pro-Connecticut as they come and I can assure you that you get more stuff in Texas for your dollar by a margin 5 fold or more whatever less income you are earning, if even your take home pay is still less after income taxes

You want to have more cash to buy clothes, land, all of that...you don't want to be here.... Here is a price to pay for a standard of social morale that we refuse to compromise. It's killing us economically but it also has no substitute.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:00 PM

29 posts, read 26,643 times
Texas, Ohio residents speak with a Texan accent. I wanna glass of pop.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:03 PM

89 posts, read 90,608 times
Default Ct v. Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILF View Post
I know several people that left CT for Texas after Obamalloy signed his BS gun bill. They now have more money than they ever had in CT, COL is half the cost, own twice the amount of land ,no property taxes, and the list goes on and on...
Keep in the mind one of the first questions out of a Texan's mouth may be what church do you go to? This is the equivalent of where do you work, except in the case of the church it is also your social life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut