U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 07:47 AM

173 posts, read 215,813 times

Advertisements

Hi. Would anyone happen to know the difference/definition of city vs. town in CT? I know most municipalities in CT are towns but a few (Norwalk, Hartford, Danbury, etc.) are categorized as cities. Just curious. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 07:52 AM

470 posts, read 1,099,934 times
From Wikipedia:

Administrative divisions of Connecticut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Town
The 169 towns of Connecticut are the principal units of local government in the state and have full municipal powers including:

Corporate powers
Eminent domain
Ability to levy taxes
Public services (low cost housing, waste disposal, fire, police, ambulance, street lighting)
Public works (highways, sewers, cemeteries, parking lots, etc.)
Regulatory powers (building codes, traffic, animals, crime, public health)
Environmental protection
Economic development
Towns traditionally had the town meeting form of government, which is still used by some of the 169 towns. Under Connecticut's Home Rule Act, any town is permitted to adopt its own local charter and choose its own structure of government. The three basic structures of municipal government used in the state, with variations from place to place, are the selectman–town meeting, mayor–council, and manager–council.[1]

Nineteen towns are also incorporated as cities, while one town (Naugatuck) is also incorporated as a borough.

The 20 consolidated borough-town and city-towns are classified by the Census Bureau as both minor civil divisions and incorporated places, while the other 149 towns are classified only as minor civil divisions. Some of the larger, urban towns are also classified in their entirety as census-designated places.

See also: List of towns in Connecticut
City
City incorporation requires a Special Act by the Connecticut General Assembly.[citation needed] All cities in Connecticut are dependent municipalities, meaning they are located within and subordinate to a town. However, except for one, all currently existing cities in Connecticut are consolidated with their parent town. Note that towns in Connecticut are allowed to adopt a city form of government without the need to re-incorporate as a city. Connecticut state law also makes no distinction between a consolidated town-city and a regular town.

There are currently twenty incorporated cities in Connecticut. Nineteen of these cities are coextensive with their towns, with the city and town governments also consolidated. One incorporated city (Groton) has jurisdiction only over part of its town. All cities are treated by the Census Bureau as incorporated places regardless of the settlement pattern.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:00 PM

22,333 posts, read 36,840,906 times
It has to do with the form of government. Municipalities with a mayor usually are classified as a city while those governed by a Board of Selectman or Town Manager are towns. Jay

Old 05-06-2014, 06:02 PM

1,100 posts, read 957,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It has to do with the form of government. Municipalities with a mayor usually are classified as a city while those governed by a Board of Selectman or Town Manager are towns. Jay
Perfectly said Jay! I remember asking the same question to my parents when I was a teen, and that is pretty much the answer my dad gave me. I was curious because he was thinking of being a selectman for our town, and our town had the Board of Selectman and there was no mayor.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:41 PM

8,783 posts, read 15,345,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
Perfectly said Jay! I remember asking the same question to my parents when I was a teen, and that is pretty much the answer my dad gave me. I was curious because he was thinking of being a selectman for our town, and our town had the Board of Selectman and there was no mayor.
Usually. There are exceptions though. Like the town of Stratford.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:51 PM

383 posts, read 363,847 times
So, perhaps I wasn't so wrong a while ago with this post, Mr. Stylo?
befriend
9,530 posts, read 5,958,949 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterStereoman
Aren't all Connecticut's cities and towns essentially towns to begin with? Cities can be coterminus with the towns their in (e.g. New Haven), or can make up a portion of the town (e.g. Milford, minus little Woodmont). I always thought the 169 towns of Connecticut were like counties are in most states. Simply expanses of land that are carved out from and to constitute the whole. A town can have a city. The town of New Haven has the City of New Haven. Perhaps New Haven has no town government anymore. But have I assumed wrong all these years?

Wait, what?

New Haven is a city. There is no "town" of New Haven. It's a city government within CT with an elected mayor, etc. Milford is also a city government, and Woodmont is just a borough of Milford - which from a governmental standpoint is meaningless (same with Devon). They're both wholly cities, there is no town government.

Towns are towns, cities are cities. They are not like counties.

Not sure what you're trying to communicate exactly?

Old 05-07-2014, 12:50 AM

4,353 posts, read 6,623,977 times
I thought what defined a city was having a population greater than 60,000. This belief was formed a few years ago when the Greenwich city/town scandal broke out. Remember? Greenwich residents demanded the state to revert the category of their city to a town out of fear it would affect property values.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:20 AM

1,007 posts, read 1,146,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I thought what defined a city was having a population greater than 60,000. This belief was formed a few years ago when the Greenwich city/town scandal broke out. Remember? Greenwich residents demanded the state to revert the category of their city to a town out of fear it would affect property values.
It has nothing to do with population. Cities like New London, Derby, and Ansonia have much lower populations than towns such as West Hartford, Wallingford, and Hamden. Interestingly, Winsted is incorporated as a city even though it is only a portion of the town (Winchester) that hosts it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut