Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 12:15 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,416,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I believe its the highest point within 25 miles from the coast from Florida to Maine. But the road ruins it for me. For Mt Washington fine, but for a 900 elevation? Ruins the "natural" beauty of the park/hill/ tower area.

I remember hiking Mt Greylock (Tallest in MA) for first time, enjoying the hike, being on the trail in the middle of the forest, then all of a sudden, I approached a paved road in the middle of the hike... . I had to cross this paved road and continue the hike up to the summit. Then at the top I came across more road.

It kinda ruined the experience for me but was worth the hike at the top. Although WAY to many people up there..

I'll add Hubbard to my list though. Thanks
Years ago, I was at our local beach and a couple from Long Island were visiting there. I told them I can usually see a couple of tall buildings on Long Island (saw them last week from Sleeping Giant SP, too) and asked what they see in CT from their beach or boat (they came to CT by boat) and they told me Meriden Mountain, which I had never been to at that time. You are correct - it is the tallest point within 25 miles of the East Coast. I believe one reason the road is there is because TV and radio stations have transmitters up there and a former neighbor of mine (a phone company employee) spends his whole day up there maintaining phone equipment, so the road has to be open all year, but only for sightseers May - late Oct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 12:43 PM

83,387 posts, read 74,844,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
Years ago, I was at our local beach and a couple from Long Island were visiting there. I told them I can usually see a couple of tall buildings on Long Island (saw them last week from Sleeping Giant SP, too) and asked what they see in CT from their beach or boat (they came to CT by boat) and they told me Meriden Mountain, which I had never been to at that time. You are correct - it is the tallest point within 25 miles of the East Coast. .
Awesome story.. VERY interesting to get a perspective from the water instead of the air. I
I'd rather live in an area where a hill stands out, then buildings.... although I bet now they notice Stamford before Meriden.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:46 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,619,673 times
Isn't

Cadillac Mountain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tallest on the east coast?

Old 05-10-2014, 02:34 PM

83,387 posts, read 74,844,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Hmm, nice catch.. with that elevation it sure would be.

Even official page claims it. Looks like someone will have to edit Wiki page for Hubbard. Unless I saw it somewhere else. On phone so hard to check stuff out

Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park, Maine

Old 05-10-2014, 03:39 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,073,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I believe its the highest point within 25 miles from the coast from Florida to Maine.
Not including Maine; Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park is taller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut