U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 10:36 AM

14,476 posts, read 20,065,205 times

Advertisements

As others have said, I would suggest Stratford, Shelton and Milford for you. They are all relatively affordable and have great areas.

As for the debate between Stratford and Milford, there is a small difference in test scores, but it's hardly a large enough difference to make note of. They are about on par with each other. Neither are as high performing as Westport or even Orange, but they are just fine. Stratford and Milford schools are not on different levels, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 10:51 AM

151 posts, read 183,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnneffde View Post
thank you for the advice everyone, I have been researching Milford a lot and it seems to be very nice. As Stylo says, I have a couple of years before schools become a factor so that is not the biggest deal.

If I may jump in now, as a parent of a 5 year old and 6 month old, the whole schools thing creeps up on you faster than you think and is for some more connected than you think. You apply for preschool the October of the year prior, and it really is nice to connect with other moms and kids if you can. When they are babies you don't imagine you will feel that way, but when they start preschool you see kindergarten right in front of you. It really flies. You get all set with babysitters and things like that too.

We made the mistake of buying in Stamford before understanding the schools, and then they changed the magnet system, and well... we are now moving to Fairfield...but that's me lets get back to you!

I do not know what rentals cost in Monroe or Redding, but those towns are a lot quieter and prettier than the ones mentioned so far. I love the beach, so I'd pay to be closer to it, but if you like quiet and space please look inland (and not in Danbury please!)

I didnt catch where you are moving *from*...

good luck!

Old 05-09-2014, 09:30 PM

22,103 posts, read 36,471,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyGodmother View Post
If I may jump in now, as a parent of a 5 year old and 6 month old, the whole schools thing creeps up on you faster than you think and is for some more connected than you think. You apply for preschool the October of the year prior, and it really is nice to connect with other moms and kids if you can. When they are babies you don't imagine you will feel that way, but when they start preschool you see kindergarten right in front of you. It really flies. You get all set with babysitters and things like that too.

We made the mistake of buying in Stamford before understanding the schools, and then they changed the magnet system, and well... we are now moving to Fairfield...but that's me lets get back to you!

I do not know what rentals cost in Monroe or Redding, but those towns are a lot quieter and prettier than the ones mentioned so far. I love the beach, so I'd pay to be closer to it, but if you like quiet and space please look inland (and not in Danbury please!)

I didnt catch where you are moving *from*...

good luck!
Very good points. We made a number of friends at our kids preschool including one of our best friends. This way our children had friends before they went off to school. And you are right, the whole thing flew by so fast. I would strongly recommend trying to move to a town where you can set down roots as soon as possible. Plus who wants to have to move every couple of years especially with small children. Jay

Old 05-10-2014, 10:31 AM

13,130 posts, read 15,736,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyGodmother View Post

I do not know what rentals cost in Monroe or Redding, but those towns are a lot quieter and prettier
1. Stamford has inferior schools to the towns being mentioned, where the OP should have zero reservations about the elementary schools.
2. I'm not sure how Monroe or Redding are "prettier". It's an apples and oranges comparison to the coastal towns and many parts of Shelton look identical to Monroe, which is a pretty typical looking suburban town for CT. Redding does have rural beauty but it doesn't sound like the OP wants that kind of country feel and isolation, as Redding is definitely more rural than suburban. There are parts of Redding that are gorgeous but I think the same thing at the duck ponds or harbor in Milford, or driving along Gulf Street by historic homes and the water, or walking along Woodmont Beach. Pretty is incredibly subjective.

Last edited by Stylo; 05-11-2014 at 10:15 PM..

Old 05-11-2014, 12:16 PM

394 posts, read 421,321 times
I agree with the people that say Startford, Shelton, or Milford. They are all nice towns. Personally I would go with Milford because its a suburban town and it has a great coastal beach. Just to let you know Shelton is an inland town so its a bit of a hike to the beach. If you are willing to pay a little more you MIGHT be able to consider Trumbull or Fairfield but they are more expensive (especially Fairfield). Since schools aren't a priority yet, I'd say your on the right track looking at Milford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut