U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 04:58 PM

13,117 posts, read 15,688,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I can't visualize WTC in Hartford. I'm kinda glad it didn't end up there. Not because of what happened on 9/11 but despite it. Had it wound up there, the inner suburbs and outer ring towns would look very different today. I love where I live, but I also have come to appreciate the other neighboring suburbs for what they have to offer. As much as I love NYC, it's such an immense city that you have to you have to drive pretty far away from it to escape that big city glare. Not so with Hartford.
A WTC, not the WTC.

There's many: List of World Trade Centers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 10:29 PM

4,276 posts, read 6,486,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
? I guess I've lived long enough near areas of constant development to see how we bulldoze, tear, inch towards, and take over areas which had "natural beauty". It DOES spill over. That's the problem.

I've seen areas of domino effect, one goes up, then more go up. I've seen homes being taken down to build apartment buildings. I've witnessed woods taken down to build huge structures and gas stations... I've seen resturants taken down in a "residential" area to put up a 4 story 11,000 sq ft building or a Dentist office with apartments on top.. So I guess it hits me to a person experience what I've been seeing.

And they didn't magically appear there. Here's a photo of Stamford from 1800s. There is a big building there now. Need I say more?

A Stamford photo of the week for fans of local history - Stamford411
Unlike back then, we now have zoning. The highest construction limits are in downtown and South End. The few high-rises outside of those two areas for the most part are not comparable to the heights found in downtown. Also, aside from the Stamford Hospital expansion, I don't think outside of those areas any high-rises are currently under construction or even in the plans.

If it was left to the developers, High Ridge Road would had been one long shopping strip from beginning to end. There's a reason why most of the road is not like that, even though it is wide enough to handle relatively high amounts of traffic. Also, north of the Merritt High Ridge Road (and Long Ridge Road) continue to retain its original look and feel.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:12 AM

56,437 posts, read 38,870,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Also, north of the Merritt High Ridge Road (and Long Ridge Road) continue to retain its original look and feel.
I guess because I travel a lot I see a lot more out there. Route 7 north of Merritt in Wilton, CT had a spot of 10.6 acres of woods. It's now gone and 7 buildings are in its place. A multi unit(100+), 4 story building structures. These are just ones I've personally witnessed. I've got more.

At least there are height limits in place..

"The Endangered Lands Coalition also was involved in the opposition to the Avalon Bay project saying it would likely to impact a population of spotted salamanders."

Construction begins on AvalonBay in Wilton - CT Environmental Headlines - CT Environmental Headlines

Old 06-12-2014, 05:28 AM

58 posts, read 85,132 times
I Live in Stamford, and while some of the office buildings are flat out ugly (the ones adjoining I-95), and trump may at times look like a "sore thumb", Stamford is a growing city. Growing City of over 125K, so naturally its gonna have a tall building or two. At least you know you are coming into a city when you see Trump building from I-95. Most cities (New haven, Hartford etc) you can see from a distancee and you KNOW where you are. At least now Stamford has recognizable buildings (not Landmark Square) that tell you you are approaching a city, before Stamford was kinda "hidden" behind trees on I-95 North and Southbound.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:29 AM

58 posts, read 85,132 times
I wouldn't mind Stamford having Trump building, and a couple other 300+ buildings. Stamford does not need a 500 footer though. But 350, 330, 380 is good enough

Old 06-12-2014, 05:43 AM

On Post Road in Greenwich. There used to be a gas station here on the corner without an overhang. So you saw the trees behind it and open air...

It's Not the "tallest" building here but case in point we just keep building higher everywhere. Getting Disgustingly Claustrophobic

Old 06-17-2014, 07:23 AM

Driving South on I-95 this morning I did a double take.. Didn't remember seeing a structure in the distance then realized....yup... another one going up.

See it?

How about now?

And people wonder a complain about the congestion. Lets keep adding hundreds of people and vehicles into the area.

The views must be nice up there though! and there probably wasn't landscape that was ruined as if it was inland more. But again... keep finding ways to add more people onto roads that are supportive.

Buildings popping up like mushrooms.

Old 06-17-2014, 09:51 AM

699 posts, read 550,320 times
Tall buildings add to the city, we should have more, something like NYC would be great although not possible in CT.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:49 PM

4,276 posts, read 6,486,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
On Post Road in Greenwich. There used to be a gas station here on the corner without an overhang. So you saw the trees behind it and open air...

It's Not the "tallest" building here but case in point we just keep building higher everywhere. Getting Disgustingly Claustrophobic

Greenwich has very strict zoning. I doubt it will ever become dense. The only density they like is of the tree kind!

I do wonder how the Wendy's on Putnam managed to get their drive through. The two McDonald's, the Starbucks, the Dunkin Donuts, and probably a few other fast food joints along Putnam don't have drive through (according to what's said in the grape vine, because except for the Starbucks and Wendy's I have never been in any of the others) supposedly due to zoning restrictions. Corruption? Maybe?

On the eastern stretch of Putnam is one of the most beautiful CVS Pharmacy I have ever seen, at least from the outside. I have never been in there. I don't know if it was company built or if they simply rent the place, but it looks quite nice!

Old 06-18-2014, 06:46 AM

22,056 posts, read 36,372,874 times
This thread is going off topic which is Connecticut's Tallest Buildings. Please return to the topic of the OP. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut