Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 01:01 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Connecticut.

One thing to keep in mine when moving, Hartford is 17 square miles in size, Houston is 627 square miles, or more than 35 times bigger in area. Houston itself is almost as big as all of Hartford County (750 square miles) and is bigger than Middlesex County (439 sq mi)

Depending on how far you want to commute into Hartford, places like Cromwell and Middletown are pretty easy commutes to Hartford, as well as Rocky Hill and Berlin. Without traffic, I used to make Yankee Stadium in The Bronx in 90 minutes from Cromwell. You could also look into North Haven and Wallingford - they're north of New Haven, but you won't hit any traffic heading north on 91 into Hartford. Both towns, though, would put you 15-20 minutes closer to NYC than Cromwell and Middletown.

If you want to live West of Hartford, you could look at Southington, which is right on 84. That way, you take 84 West out past Danbury and then head south into NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 01:05 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Manchester is a good suggestion, though I would say the schools aren't great. However, I think $1100 a month for a 3 bedroom anywhere is going to be a tough find.
She wants to be closer to NYC, though. So, that would mean south or west of Hartford.

Here is one in Cromwell - a bit higher than $1,100...
3 Bedroom Apartment

3 bedroom in Berlin, $1,100
apartment for rent

Old 05-09-2014, 01:06 PM

9 posts, read 9,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Oh my gosh finally someone like me who appreciates Connecticut's proximity to New York City!

Tina trust me on this. Buy a 3-bedroom home in Manchester, CT and you will be surprised (for Connecticut) how reasonable the price will be. Then consider the schools may be not as outstanding as West Hartford but there's magnet schools for the kids or affordable private school options.

From Manchester it's not any more than a 2-hour scenic drive straight into New York City with I-84 to I-91 south to 15 Merritt parkway

And if you don't wish to drive into the city, you can drive to New Haven or Bridgeport and buy metro-north rail tickets straight "park and ride into Grand Central Station.

I know exactly what you want and this is why I love living here. You want to be able to raise kids in a countrified area and breathe in nice smell of farm...then in 2 hours, be able to walk right into New York City, and have best of both worlds

This is my situation and I love it and I know you will too. Please do not be discouraged by high prices in various towns because you have to believe me, there's affordable spots that will shock your eyes

You are exactly right!! I live in the Panhandle in Texas (many people don't even know where that it is)...but it sucks & I am ready for a change in scenery. My daughter will be a senior & my son a freshman so magnet schools would be a thought. How is the job market in Manchester?

Old 05-09-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Welcome to Connecticut.

One thing to keep in mine when moving, Hartford is 17 square miles in size, Houston is 627 square miles, or more than 35 times bigger in area. Houston itself is almost as big as all of Hartford County (750 square miles) and is bigger than Middlesex County (439 sq mi)

Depending on how far you want to commute into Hartford, places like Cromwell and Middletown are pretty easy commutes to Hartford, as well as Rocky Hill and Berlin. Without traffic, I used to make Yankee Stadium in The Bronx in 90 minutes from Cromwell. You could also look into North Haven and Wallingford - they're north of New Haven, but you won't hit any traffic heading north on 91 into Hartford. Both towns, though, would put you 15-20 minutes closer to NYC than Cromwell and Middletown.

If you want to live West of Hartford, you could look at Southington, which is right on 84. That way, you take 84 West out past Danbury and then head south into NYC.
I live in Amarillo, Texas, which is way smaller than Houston. Small does not bother me, in fact that is what I am looking for. I'm still looking for "affordable" towns to relocate to, Connecticut will be my choice of state tho. Thanks for the info! Very informative & helpful

Old 05-09-2014, 01:09 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinac806 View Post
You are exactly right!! I live in the Panhandle in Texas (many people don't even know where that it is)...but it sucks & I am ready for a change in scenery. My daughter will be a senior & my son a freshman so magnet schools would be a thought. How is the job market in Manchester?
I would say Manchester you would want to set house but the job market you will be seeking will be Hartford/West Hartford area. But the commute to Manchester is not a long one and also the proximity to highway makes it so Eventhough Manchester distance-wise is a tad farther east, the commute times are really not bad.
In contrast, some towns west of the river may be closer distance-wise but your commute is a backlog of cars and annoying red lights. The Manchester to the highway is a straight go and I end up driving west I-84 more worried I am going too fast and risking a ticket, than facing traffic.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
She wants to be closer to NYC, though. So, that would mean south or west of Hartford.

Here is one in Cromwell - a bit higher than $1,100...
3 Bedroom Apartment

3 bedroom in Berlin, $1,100
apartment for rent

Those prices are both decent & of course I know I'll have to consider going higher than I originally planned. The housing is different in CT than here in Texas. When they say a "three family home"...is that like an apartment complex? Also, utilities...how does that work?

In Texas, you rent a house, set up utilities (no buying oil to heat) and go on your way. I guess I need the ins & outs of living in CT.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I would say Manchester you would want to set house but the job market you will be seeking will be Hartford/West Hartford area. But the commute to Manchester is not a long one and also the proximity to highway makes it so Eventhough Manchester distance-wise is a tad farther east, the commute times are really not bad.
In contrast, some towns west of the river may be closer distance-wise but your commute is a backlog of cars and annoying red lights. The Manchester to the highway is a straight go and I end up driving west I-84 more worried I am going too fast and risking a ticket, than facing traffic.
Its definitely going to be a change. It takes me 5 minutes to get to work...
I'm totally up for the challenge & ready for a change.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:16 PM

My community has no heating charges at all. I think your electric bill though will be higher than mine if you have a bigger size home

Mine runs around $55-60/month and $70 in dead of summer from A/C

Also CL&P "Connecticut light and power" isn't the only supplier of electricity and tends to be higher . Sometimes you can contract out with another provider and pay less

Electric is high if you need heating oil. Try to find electric heating included

West Hartford I had an apartment that had free heating that was neither electric nor oil. It was a really old-fashioned rare to find radiator system where you have little vents in each room and you can put your clothes on them to dry even...and they run silently

Old 05-09-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
My community has no heating charges at all. I think your electric bill though will be higher than mine if you have a bigger size home

Mine runs around $55-60/month and $70 in dead of summer from A/C

Also CL&P "Connecticut light and power" isn't the only supplier of electricity and tends to be higher . Sometimes you can contract out with another provider and pay less

Electric is high if you need heating oil. Try to find electric heating included

West Hartford I had an apartment that had free heating that was neither electric nor oil. It was a really old-fashioned rare to find radiator system where you have little vents in each room and you can put your clothes on them to dry even...and they run silently

Good information. So I'll try to find electric heating included. Electric in my town runs about $100-$150 during summer & I have a 4 bedroom two-story house. I think there are definitely going to be pros/cons to the whole thing. What about the job market?

Old 05-09-2014, 01:29 PM

Job market in healthcare services and legal services is not bad. Heaithcare, insurance, hospital work, special education, Childcare services, those are the thriving trades around here. Beyond that the state economy has room fir improvement. You may already know the cost of running a business in this state is where things get problematic. If you are in a certain industry it really isn't bad

Hartford still has a high number of insurance jobs between prudential, UnitedHealthcare, Aetna, Cigna

Hartford hospital employs a lot physicians and nurse technicians

The care.com website is very popular in area for pet and nanny and Childcare opportunities abound

Legal services are always in demand

Also UConn is a high employer of research and university positions, as is UHartford and Trinity College
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut