Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 11:29 AM

9 posts, read 9,250 times

Advertisements

I am going to be moving to Connecticut from Texas. I am currently looking to move to Hartford. Can anyone give me advice on what neighborhoods to consider & which schools. Also, the job market.... I am a family law paralegal so I'm hoping to be able to find work fairly quickly and easily (fingers crossed).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 11:35 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,086,726 times
Whats your price range?

Old 05-09-2014, 11:39 AM

At this point I am only looking to rent. No more than $1100.00 a month. -

Old 05-09-2014, 12:11 PM

207 posts, read 272,907 times
the old snet building is nice

Old 05-09-2014, 12:20 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,059,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinac806 View Post
At this point I am only looking to rent. No more than $1100.00 a month. -
First of all, welcome to the nutmeg state

I think you will like Ellington, CT where you have farmer's market down the street, 24/7 fitness center, balcony, massive storage unit, and beautiful backroads

My rent is $900/month and I have 1.5 bedrooms and my drive is 15-20 minutes into Hartford. Where I live you feel like you are in rural farms but you are near to so many things including amazing 24/hour diners (Manchester/Vernon towns)
Vernon diner and Rein's deli

Manchester also has a burger and ice cream place called shady glen that is exactly how it looked in the 1960s that same classic time capsule look

Also 5 miles east is an elevation increase of 1,000 feet and a lake resort town called Stafford Springs.

To the south is this really pretty one-lane road that runs through an exotic tunnel with traffic light on each side of it

You will find it's a lot less pricey than just places 25 minutes away.

If you want to go higher on price and live in smack of activity I would recommend West Hartford.

Contrary to what some say, there's plenty of safe affordable and actually really nice residential places in Hartford

Old 05-09-2014, 12:21 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
If you have school age children you do not want to live in Hartford where schools under perform to state standards. Look in any of the suburbs which ring the city. Example, Newington, Wethersfield, the town of West Hartford, Rocky Hill. All are a short commute into Hartford itself. You may also be able to find work as a paralegal in any of then.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:26 PM

385 posts, read 362,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
First of all, welcome to the nutmeg state

I think you will like Ellington, CT where you have farmer's market down the street, 24/7 fitness center, balcony, massive storage unit, and beautiful backroads

My rent is $900/month and I have 1.5 bedrooms and my drive is 15-20 minutes into Hartford. Where I live you feel like you are in rural farms but you are near to so many things including amazing 24/hour diners (Manchester/Vernon)

Also 5 miles east is an elevation increase of $1,000 feet and a lake resort town called Stafford Springs.

You will find it's a lot less pricey than just places 25 minutes away.

If you want to go higher on price and live in smack of activity I would recommend West Hartford.

Contrary to what some say, there's plenty of safe affordable and actually really nice residential places in Hartford

You think Stafford Springs is a "lake resort town"? lol

Old 05-09-2014, 12:26 PM

I will be needing a 3 bedroom as I have two children, a boy & girl. I've done some searching & the rates are fairly decent.

I will look into other places besides Hartford. My goal is to be as close to NY as possible without living in NY. Sounds weird I know, but I'm looking for a total change in scenery.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:49 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,059,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinac806 View Post
I will be needing a 3 bedroom as I have two children, a boy & girl. I've done some searching & the rates are fairly decent.

I will look into other places besides Hartford. My goal is to be as close to NY as possible without living in NY. Sounds weird I know, but I'm looking for a total change in scenery.
Oh my gosh finally someone like me who appreciates Connecticut's proximity to New York City!

Tina trust me on this. Buy a 3-bedroom home in Manchester, CT and you will be surprised (for Connecticut) how reasonable the price will be. Then consider the schools may be not as outstanding as West Hartford but there's magnet schools for the kids or affordable private school options.

From Manchester it's not any more than a 2-hour scenic drive straight into New York City with I-84 to I-91 south to 15 Merritt parkway

And if you don't wish to drive into the city, you can drive to New Haven or Bridgeport and buy metro-north rail tickets straight "park and ride into Grand Central Station.

I know exactly what you want and this is why I love living here. You want to be able to raise kids in a countrified area and breathe in nice smell of farm...then in 2 hours, be able to walk right into New York City, and have best of both worlds

This is my situation and I love it and I know you will too. Please do not be discouraged by high prices in various towns because you have to believe me, there's affordable spots that will shock your eyes

Old 05-09-2014, 12:55 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
Manchester is a good suggestion, though I would say the schools aren't great. However, I think $1100 a month for a 3 bedroom anywhere is going to be a tough find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut