U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 01:31 PM

164 posts, read 194,559 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a job located in Somers, NY and living in the Danbury/ Ridgefield area. I'm heavily researching costs of utilities right now (and kind of confused about trash removal, but that's a whole 'nother topic!)

We will be renting the first year, and I'm looking at single family homes, townhomes, and more traditional apartments. My assumption is that we will be responsible for all utilities if we rent a SFH-- heat, trash removal, sewer/water, etc.-- but what about apartments? In my current area, you traditionally only pay for electricity, and of course phone/cable/ internet, when living in an apartment. Generally speaking, in CT which utilities do apartment renters have to typically pay?

Trying to make sure we budget appropriately, since costs are much higher in CT vs. my current location of Minneapolis.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 11:07 PM

22,340 posts, read 36,849,569 times
It really depends on the apartment. Many have electrric heat which you pay. You have to look at what each place includes and then add in the utilities not included. I have seen some that charge you for garbage. A coworker lived in a place where they prorated garbage for the entire complex. It got very expense. Plus they kept upping her rent each year. In the end she could have rented a much nicer place for the same money. Jay

Old 05-10-2014, 06:03 AM

57,596 posts, read 40,001,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I have seen some that charge you for garbage.
Oddly enough in my years of real estate investing I've never come across a property in CT where garbage was a separate bill. I get a lot of NYorkers asking me that too and I never got it. I thought it was old time thinking or maybe it was done with. Should be incorporated into the common charges/taxes but never really heard of even if so. Maybe there's just a few spots out there still that its separate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autum1031 View Post

My assumption is that we will be responsible for all utilities if we rent a SFH-- heat, trash removal, sewer/water, etc.-- but what about apartments?

In my current area, you traditionally only pay for electricity, and of course phone/cable/ internet, when living in an apartment. Generally speaking, in CT which utilities do apartment renters have to typically pay?
Single Family Home Trash removal cost? That should be included in the city taxes unless the landlord wants a piece of that back from you.

As far as any rentals, it's up to each landlord. There's no set way. Usually it's the electric the tenant pays for since it can get expensive and hard to control tenants use of it. I pay the Natural Gas utility for my tenants.

Think about the heating expenses. How is it heated. If its by oil that should be an expense for you, not the landlord but again... find a property, and ask the landlord whats included.

Also if it's an apartment/condo ask who's responsible for removing snow around your steps/deck/walkway.

Water is typically paid by landlord which should be in their common charges if its a condo/apartment.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:49 AM

5,062 posts, read 12,496,002 times
A lot of Ct. towns don't have garbage collection for single family homes, but it's only around $30 a month for a private company. However, I believe most Ct. cities have garbage pickup, included in property taxes. Some towns also have recycling pickup fees, but I am not familiar with the costs involved. What is utilities are covered by a landlord of a SFH will vary.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Single Family Home Trash removal cost? That should be included in the city taxes unless the landlord wants a piece of that back from you.
\

Quote:
A lot of Ct. towns don't have garbage collection for single family homes, but it's only around $30 a month for a private company. However, I believe most Ct. cities have garbage pickup, included in property taxes. Some towns also have recycling pickup fees, but I am not familiar with the costs involved. What is utilities are covered by a landlord of a SFH will vary.
This is why the trash removal is getting a tad confusing for me, since it seems to vary by town. In my current area, you are responsible for hiring your own garbage company to take away your trash every week. I've never heard of it being covered by city taxes. (Which would be awesome, one less thing to worry about). Some cities, including my own, have a town yard waste removal site for residents to haul leaves, dirt, branches, etc. but never household trash.

Anyway, it's too bad there isn't a standard, would make it easier! Around here, it's rare for an apartment not to include heat and hot water, so when one doesn't, it's sure sign it's a crappy place to live. Usually tenants only have to pay for electricity.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:05 AM

57,596 posts, read 40,001,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autum1031 View Post
This is why the trash removal is getting a tad confusing for me, since it seems to vary by town. .
I did say this... "Maybe there's just a few spots out there still that its separate"

It's a city thing so yeah it would vary but it's few and far between if there are. Whats the different if the city or private company comes out. It's not like you have to remember each week, they automatically pick it up, private or public.

Our recycle trucks that come by are private yet there is no separate bill from them. I believe whats happening is the city actually contracts/pays them so residents don't have the separate bill. In turn either the city incorporates it into the taxes or keeps things status quo since they're saving by not going out themselves.

I think you're thinking too much into it now. Don't let that be the back breaker to finding a home.

Here's Avon, CT:

"The Town of Avon does not provide curbside trash collection or recycling for residents. The following private contractors can be contacted for weekly residential curbside trash collection and recycling service:"

Just imagine a 3rd world country where garbage is left on the streets for weeks & months or never picked up.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:17 AM

1,008 posts, read 709,104 times
I have lived in the tri state area for most of my life and would expect to pay my own heating bills in a rental. The last time I rented in CT, I was in a complex, and I had to pay for everything except for trash pickup.

Trash service is not expensive ($30ish/month) and some towns allow you to bring trash to the transfer station at no charge. Unless you live in Danbury proper, I would plan on having to pay separately for it - town paid service is far from universal in western CT.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:26 AM

2,743 posts, read 2,661,752 times
Wilton has no trash pickup and hardly resembles a third world country. I don't see the big deal with such tasks being a personal responsibility.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:20 AM

5,062 posts, read 12,496,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I did say this... "Maybe there's just a few spots out there still that its separate"

It's a city thing so yeah it would vary but it's few and far between if there are. Whats the different if the city or private company comes out. It's not like you have to remember each week, they automatically pick it up, private or public.
It's not "few and far between", it's pretty common in towns across Ct. Since you live in a city you are probably not aware of how garbage is picked up in smaller towns.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I think you're thinking too much into it now. Don't let that be the back breaker to finding a home.
No, of course it's not a deal breaker. I would never say, "oh no, I have to haul my own trash, I can't live there" or whatnot. I'm just a detail person. I am an uber detailed person. I like to understand the details and nuances about everything, if I can. It just makes me feel better to understand things.

Anyway, the trash pickup was just more of a random puzzler question, "how does this work, anyway?" I was more concerned about my main question, which was: as a renter, what utilities will I be responsible for? This helps me with budgeting. It sounds like we'll probably be responsible for almost all utilities, which is good to know. That is very, very different from my current area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut