U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 07:41 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,902,691 times

Advertisements

just to throw it out there as an alternate commute, you could look into the Hart bus and the metro north train that picks up in Brewster and goes straight into Westchester and beyond.

HART
Metro
(you want the Harlem line)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 07:43 PM

8,783 posts, read 15,195,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGMOM View Post
I find Bethel very nice but I am annoyed because I had two people tell me its not as nice as the other towns. It seemed like I was talking about Bridgeport (no offense meant) from the reaction. I was told its "not on par" with the other choices. I think its a nice town.
It is a nice, small town. Many people in this state have a knee-jerk reaction of putting down the "most affordable" town that directly borders a city. In the case of Bethel, it borders Danbury, which is one of the best cities in this state. I wouldn't have any reservations about Bethel.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:14 PM

65 posts, read 96,932 times
Thanks for the extra info. I like what I have seen in Bethel so far. Planning on taking a look at some listings this weekend. Trying to see what our best bet would be regarding commute. Have to drive-no choice due to locations of our work. Any thoughts on areas that would work?.

Am I right in thinking Bethel lies between Danbury and Brookfield? My thought on New Fairfield is it's semi-rural. Is Bethel the same? One more ?-what beach is used by Bethel residents? I know some areas are residents only. Do people use the town pool in Newtown or is that mainly used by Newtown residents.

Thanks for the townhouse info. Going to look into those. Really appreciate all the responses.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:43 PM

13,116 posts, read 15,679,009 times
No beach in Bethel. The lakes are in Danbury/New Fairfield/Brookfield. The beaches are really not very good for the most part. I guess they're ok for small kids. Squantz Pond is popular. Better off going to the Sound. Don't know about town pools.

Bethel is definitely less rural than New Fairfield.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:54 PM

679 posts, read 811,093 times
This should help.

Bethel is the town with the purple marker.
Brookfield is orange.
New Fairfield is lime green.
Newtown isn't highlighted, but you can see it's east of Bethel and Brookfield.

The red marker is the Harlem Line in Brewster, NY-- where you would catch Metro North to go into White Plains and New York City (Note: spanning non-coastal parts of Westchester County). The train line terminating in Danbury would be used to go to coastal parts of CT. Transferring in Norwalk or Stamford would bring you to coastal Westchester County communities. There's also a stop on the Danbury line in downtown Bethel. You cannot use the Danbury/New Haven lines to commute to the White Plains area and northward; the Harlem line in Brewster must be used. It's also quicker to take the Harlem line into the City. I hope this helps.

As you can see, New Fairfield is closest to Brewster and 684. You can take back roads to both. In Bethel and Brookfield, you would need to go west on 84.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:13 PM

Thank you Tubeworm for that info. Very helpful. I heard about Brewster train to WP & into NYC. I just hope I find a job closer to our new location!

Old 05-13-2014, 07:31 PM

Something to consider: Bethel gives the best access to Norwalk area jobs, which is a pretty big market.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:33 PM

I am definitely planning on doing a pretty wide search of both NY & CT school districts. I do have office experience as well so I may be able to work closer to our new home.

Can you access 7 from the Merritt?

Old 05-13-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGMOM View Post
Can you access 7 from the Merritt?
Yes, why?

Old 05-14-2014, 05:58 AM

2,416 posts, read 1,827,127 times
What's your price range and how many of bedrooms are you looking for? There are a few homes that recently came on the market in NF that are in a great commuting location (west side near town). Also regarding beaches - the only thing in this area are the town parks along the Candlewood Lake. New Fairfield has has a small town beach. There's a concession stand (hamburgers hotdogs ice cream, that sort of thing) swim lessons, and it's pretty much the meeting place for many moms and kids during the week. But again, it is small. Squantz pond beach is nicer, but it gets totally overwhelmed by out of town visitors on the weekend, so you probably will want to avoid it entirely. It's nice and quiet though midweek...
There's also shuttle bus service in NF to the train station in southeast. Two stops in town: park and ride at the main firehouse on rte 39, and a second park and ride at the ball pond firehouse. There's a final park and ride across the border in NY at a synagogue on mt. Ebo road. Sometimes it's faster to drive to that stop and pick up the bus over there. (I always drive a lot faster than the bus drivers do ) Just something to consider...

Last edited by Lalalally; 05-14-2014 at 06:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut