Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 08:17 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,229,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
As for commuting? Out of the four towns, I want to say New Fairfield simply because it's the closest to Westchester outta the four. But, you have to navigate through Danbury to climb the highway, which can be a disaster in the morning with everyone trying to head on I-84. The other more "local" route would be through Route 39 to Somerstown Parkway leading into White Plains. Might be others, but dunno! That drive is roughly hour and 10 mins. I don't know what time your job is at. That's a big factor. But, if it's a typical 9 to 5, then you'll need to leave at 7:45 to hit White Plains on time comfortably. I've made this commute before. Sometimes, if the weather is sloppy, road work, or accident occurs, then it'll take longer. But, hour and 15 is a good average. On the way back can be deadlier. Danbury becomes a gridlock. Hour and a half is more like it.

No need at all to drive through Danbury to get to 684 from New Fairfield! . This is how you do it: Take Milltown Road (it starts in New Fairfield on the west side of town and intersects w/ Route 39 a/k/a "Ball Pond Road") and drive it to the end (4.5 miles). Milltown ends at Route 22. Turn left onto 22 South, and in about 2.5 minutes you'll be on 684 -- you totally and entirely avoid Danbury/84 traffic. If you live on the west side of New Fairfield, this route will take you 10 minutes to get to 684.

Bonus is that the State of NY expanded Route 22 last summer at that intersection. It's now a 3 lane road in each direction (6 lanes total North & South), with dedicated turning lanes to/from New Fairfield. It used to bottle neck there, but not at all anymore. It definitely reduced my commute by about 5 minutes. I know that doesn't seem like a lot, but trust me every minute counts!

Last edited by Lalalally; 05-14-2014 at 08:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 08:46 AM

21,732 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Yeah, the whole point in living in NF for a Westchester commute is the ability to skip 84 and the 684/84 interchange.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:21 PM

66 posts, read 139,283 times
The reason I asked about 7/Merritt is an alternate route if ever needed. Just a thought.

As far as 684/22/Milltown I am familiar with that. We have used it already and that's why NF is so appealing.

Our price range is on low end (250000 +/-). We could go a little higher but we are focused on continuing saving for when college rears its ugly head lol.

I want to say thx again for all the info received. You can't imagine how much it has meant.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGMOM View Post

Our price range is on low end (250000 +/-). We could go a little higher but we are focused on continuing saving for when college rears its ugly head lol.
OK, the new listings I mentioned ^ are above your budget. But I'll take a look at trulia and if anything within your budget and in a good location for a Westchester commute jumps out at me, I'll let you know.

Edit: These two homes are both located in the Charcoal Ridge Section. It's a neighborhood of somewhat older homes (1960s-1970s). Not technically as west as you can get, but still an easy commute. Also, the lots tend to be a little smaller than other parts of town (around 1/2 acre), so it has more of a neighborhood feel and is more suburban than rural, as some parts of NF can be (especially true as you head north towards Sherman) -- you might like that, as I think in an earlier post you commented that NF seemed semi-rural. Charcoal Ridge is appealing to many because it's close to schools, close to town, and offers a convenient commute to most points. It's also very convenient to Danbury, as it sits on the border:

http://www.trulia.com/property/31551...field-CT-06812
http://www.trulia.com/property/31547...field-CT-06812

Last edited by Lalalally; 05-14-2014 at 12:52 PM..

Old 05-14-2014, 02:00 PM

Sorry ... too late for me to edit my earlier post. As a post script I just wanted to add that there is absolutely nothing wrong with Bethel -- I'm not sure why anyone would suggest otherwise. It's a great town, and I go there often. Super nice downtown area too! The only downside is that a commute from Bethel to Westchester will not be as easy as it is from NF. And I agree with one of the other posters (I think Stylo): Brookfield is as far east as I would go for a Westchester commute. The traffic situation on 84 puts Newtown just a little too far, in my opinion.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:50 PM

Thx Lalalally for that info. We may go higher if need be but sometimes sellers drop drastically (recently saw one drop 30,000). Because of that we may rent and take the time to find the right house.

I also think Bethel is nice. Love the downtown! FYI the naysayers live in Ridgefield. Absolutely no offense meant when I say they both believe Ridgefield is the only place to live. To each their own.

I do think Brookfield is a stretch for Westchester commute and we may not look into it. Still debating.

Hopefully we will be successful in finding what we want (and our wish list is pretty simple).

Old 05-14-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
The reason I asked about 7/Merritt is an alternate route if ever needed. Just a thought.
It would pretty much NEVER be quicker that way. I wouldn't even consider it.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
FYI the naysayers live in Ridgefield. Absolutely no offense meant when I say they both believe Ridgefield is the only place to live. To each their own.
I don't know how to say this tactfully: they're being snobby.

Bethel's your best bet with that budget IMO.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:53 PM

678 posts, read 846,882 times
I personally think Ridgefield's the best in the area, but, to have that kinda superiority complex is uncalled for.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:09 PM

Stylo I like your view! We want a community where we aren't the "have nots" but rather a nice mix and I think our choices are on target. Looking forward to our visit this weekend. I was going to call the schools to take a tour also .

What is meant to be will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut