U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 03:02 PM

65 posts, read 96,932 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Some of you may recognize me as a previous move to CT" poster. We did look in 2012 but for a lot of reasons it never happened. Now we have had time to refocus on a move and find CT is still of interest. Previously had interest in New Fairfield and Bethel. Still interested but now considering Brookfield and possibly Newtown also.

I know all have good schools, and all are family oriented. What I would like to know is who has best kid programs of the four. Best shopping (Brookfield?) Possible town pool? Best town camp? Etc, etc.

We both have to commute to Westchester and when we travel to the area its via 684/84. I know NF has a decent westside commute. Would it be a crazy commute from Brookfield or Newtown time wise or not too bad. Generally I would be am down county. Husband later in day. I know traffic will happen anywhere (travel Hutchison Pkwy now). Any alternate ways I am not aware of? White Plains area.

Any info and advice is welcome. This has been a long tedious situation and I am ready to get settled. Hopefully this summer starts a new beginning.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 03:06 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,409,666 times
Danbury or newtown yes. The Newtown incident was a isolated event obviously and maybe the impact of the infamy of the Newtown shooting 18 months ago will reduce prices for you to buy and settle there. It's a rather nice place.

Could send your kids to the new sandy hook elementary school which probably got some state support money again due to condolences over the trauma that should never ever happen again

Old 05-09-2014, 06:07 PM

678 posts, read 543,054 times
I am from Newtown, and a strong admirer of Upper Fairfield County, so, I like your list of towns. All of them are amazing.

School wise, Brookfield and Newtown take the lead (albeit, slightly). Kids program, I want to say Newtown only because the population trumps the other three towns. It'll probably give a good rise to programs for kids. I know the Newtown Youth Academy is quite popular for kids and young adults alike for activities.

Diversity, I wanna say Bethel, if this matters at all to you.

Shopping? Brookfield has the local infamous Federal Road which has several retail stores, fast food, etc. Bethel is also pretty good. What makes Bethel real good is the easy access into Danbury. Which has more than what you will need. New Fairfield sits above Danbury (local roads) and Newtown is far from the other towns but more than accessible. Newtowners usually go to the local towns or within the town for most goods. Danbury is usually mentioned for things like the mall.

As for commuting? Out of the four towns, I want to say New Fairfield simply because it's the closest to Westchester outta the four. But, you have to navigate through Danbury to climb the highway, which can be a disaster in the morning with everyone trying to head on I-84. The other more "local" route would be through Route 39 to Somerstown Parkway leading into White Plains. Might be others, but dunno! That drive is roughly hour and 10 mins. I don't know what time your job is at. That's a big factor. But, if it's a typical 9 to 5, then you'll need to leave at 7:45 to hit White Plains on time comfortably. I've made this commute before. Sometimes, if the weather is sloppy, road work, or accident occurs, then it'll take longer. But, hour and 15 is a good average. On the way back can be deadlier. Danbury becomes a gridlock. Hour and a half is more like it.

Good luck with your move! Know that whichever town you pick, you're in excellent hands.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:29 PM

679 posts, read 811,093 times
Have you considered Ridgefield at all? It's pricer than all the other towns (listed above), but it's the quickest commute.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:53 PM

975 posts, read 674,303 times
Of the towns you listed, Newtown is the most family oriented, and as far as shopping goes, certain parts of Bethel and Brookfield would be most convenient, but for commuting, focus on Ridgefield and New Fairfield. The northern part of Ridgefield is very convenient to major shopping in Danbury.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:49 PM

13,116 posts, read 15,679,009 times
Best shopping is definitely not Brookfield. Brookfield has Costco and BJ's going for it, but most shoppers come from outside anyway. Danbury tops that factor by far.

Bethel and Newtown have a nice variety of stores. Brookfield is kind of blah, and I grew up in the area. It's just a character-less series of strip malls. Not particularly attractive either. The residential areas in Brookfield are very nice, but I always felt the commercial aspect was sorely lacking.

I really like Newtown's and Bethel's commercial base. Great grocery stores (Caraluzzi's and Big Y in each town), good restaurants, nice specialty stores, boutiques, etc.

Really, it doesn't matter - you're always within close distance to another town with different shopping. Or just hop on 84 and go to the mall. Even in New Fairfield, which has very little commercial, you're a pretty short drive away from whatever you need.

I struggle to recommend Newtown from a commute perspective. Brookfield is the furthest east I would go. But even then, it doesn't offer anything over New Fairfield that makes the commute worth it.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:15 AM

29 posts, read 26,640 times
Where in White Plains? If you have to travel via 287 into Downtown, there shouldn't be a massive delay. However, if you have to travel the Hutchinson River Parkway, I feel bad for you. With that budget, there are some pretty large homes in Katonah, NY which will shorten commute by about 20-30 minutes.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:17 PM

65 posts, read 96,932 times
Hi thx for the valuable info. For serious shopping I got to Danbury already. What I wanted to know was grocery stores, cvs-that kind of thing. At least everything we need/want is close by.

Ridgefield is very nice but not on list. Newtown was of interest but the commute puts it in a new light. Still considering Brookfield.

New Fairfield is first choice but there doesn't seem to be a lot of choice in our price range for one thing, or its short sale (looked at one that has been on market for over 2 years) or the location is closer to Sherman border while we want Westside if possible.

Going to look at some Bethel properties this weekend. I find Bethel very nice but I am annoyed because I had two people tell me its not as nice as the other towns. It seemed like I was talking about Bridgeport (no offense meant) from the reaction. I was told its "not on par" with the other choices. I think its a nice town. Maybe more diverse-is that so bad? Don't think it is.

I am going to try to get a job closer to the area. Work in a school so maybe I will get lucky.

One other question. Interested in townhouses. Any recommendations in Bethel or Brookfield? I know New Fairfield has none. Also-may just rent and take the time to wait to get what we want. Would like to move sooner than later so if anyone knows of anything in NF or Bethel (for now) please dm me.

Thanks!

Old 05-12-2014, 07:25 PM

13,116 posts, read 15,679,009 times
Bethel is perfectly fine. Don't listen to them.

There's a couple Toll House developments in Bethel. There's also Timber Oak but it's mostly sold out.

Homes For Sale In Bethel CT | Copper Square
Summit at Bethel

If you're looking for an existing townhouse there's plenty in Bethel. Brookfield, not so much. Mostly dated condos or retirement communities there

Old 05-12-2014, 07:30 PM

678 posts, read 543,054 times
My town has lots of rivalry with Bethel and even though I like to think my town is better from an elitist point of view, lol, I can assure you it's a great town. I know several families from Bethel and their kids all turned out super well. Families have never complained about their town, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut