U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 11:03 AM

45 posts, read 65,235 times

Advertisements

Thanks again for all the responses! I didn't mean to compare Old Lyme beaches with other beaches around the country, but rather the scene and people on the beaches. Some of the images on the web are pretty scary. It really looks like a binge drinking Jersey Shore/Daytona kind of scene. This is certainly not what I want my three and five your old to be around when going to have a nice family day at the beach. I'm sure these party goers spill out to the rest of the town as well. Is the whole area affected by this scene? Will this spring break scene be a part of my family's daily life during the summer months? It sounds like this is the dominant scene in the area, and the locals are forced to small cramped private beaches. If I had to make a choice, I'd definitely rather be around snooty, stuck up people, than drunken trash looking for trouble. Condoning binge drinking and partying on a public beach just doesn't seem right, and is not what I expected of this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 11:48 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,109,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPlate View Post
Thanks again for all the responses! I didn't mean to compare Old Lyme beaches with other beaches around the country, but rather the scene and people on the beaches. Some of the images on the web are pretty scary. It really looks like a binge drinking Jersey Shore/Daytona kind of scene. This is certainly not what I want my three and five your old to be around when going to have a nice family day at the beach. I'm sure these party goers spill out to the rest of the town as well. Is the whole area affected by this scene? Will this spring break scene be a part of my family's daily life during the summer months? It sounds like this is the dominant scene in the area, and the locals are forced to small cramped private beaches. If I had to make a choice, I'd definitely rather be around snooty, stuck up people, than drunken trash looking for trouble. Condoning binge drinking and partying on a public beach just doesn't seem right, and is not what I expected of this area.
I grew up in Old Lyme (part time) (my family owns a home and used to have a business in town). If you stay away from Soundview you will be fine. I am not a fan of Soundview because of what you mentioned above. Just so you know, OL does not allow anymore liquor permits to be issued so in a couple years when the owners want to sell the bars OL will likely not give them permits so that issue you have above will go away. There are only two bars on the beach and they are at Soundview. The crowd from SV does not spill into the town at all. The go right from the bar to 156 and 95. They have no interest in a sleepy town like Old Lyme. So if you stick to one of the many private beaches like Old Lyme shores, Old Colony and Whitesands you will have no issue. Or like others suggested Rogers Lake which is my favorite. The drunk idiots are limited to a certain area so you will have no problems.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:52 PM

Thanks Mr-250! Appreciate it!!!!!

Old 05-13-2014, 02:40 PM

4,448 posts, read 3,677,257 times
agreed - excellent response Mr_250. Reputation awarded.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:03 PM

25 posts, read 36,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I grew up in Old Lyme (part time) (my family owns a home and used to have a business in town). If you stay away from Soundview you will be fine. I am not a fan of Soundview because of what you mentioned above. Just so you know, OL does not allow anymore liquor permits to be issued so in a couple years when the owners want to sell the bars OL will likely not give them permits so that issue you have above will go away. There are only two bars on the beach and they are at Soundview. The crowd from SV does not spill into the town at all. The go right from the bar to 156 and 95. They have no interest in a sleepy town like Old Lyme. So if you stick to one of the many private beaches like Old Lyme shores, Old Colony and Whitesands you will have no issue. Or like others suggested Rogers Lake which is my favorite. The drunk idiots are limited to a certain area so you will have no problems.
Just to echo Mr_250…CT beaches are nothing like Daytona type spring break scenes. The public beaches certainly get filled to or near capacity on the big holiday weekends during the summer season and during any extreme heat waves…but for the most part the crowds are pretty manageable. Honestly…as you live here you may find yourself knowing when to expect the biggest crowds and sometimes adjusting your schedule to avoid them. Honestly my favorite time to hit the beaches is late afternoon/evening after 4-5pm when most of the day trippers have left and you can enjoy a peaceful evening and beautiful sunset. The early fall…September can be especially nice. Weather and water are still warm and the summer crowds are gone.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:38 PM

303 posts, read 306,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPlate View Post
Hello. I'm looking for some opinions on what it's like to live in Old Lyme Ct. We have two young children so schools and activities are of course important. Many of the threads and articles I've been reading make it seem almost like a retirement community. Any truth to this? What are the demographics like? Is this a good place for a young family, or is it a bit too quiet. Any insight into the pros and cons of daily life in this area would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your responses.
Grew up there. It sucked. Schools are over rated. 2nd grade teacher was overheard saying she hated all boy students. 4th grade teacher, he was practically a bully himself. 7th grade Spanish teacher did nothing to stop bullies. Senior High maths teachers were lousy - one would have preferred to watch golf rather than help me after school one day. Not all its cracked up to be. Got out with a decent average, B- but with barely passing maths (weakest link in the school system and went on to UNI, with superior teachers and got a solid B average with much improved Maths marks.

Town if filled with snobs. Children are ultra clique with more drugs than you would think for such a town.

The beaches - as a local I know to avoid Soundview and to a lesser extent, white sands. But the uncultured bros (or is that "brahs") or frequent soundview generally stay within a very well defined little box (aka soundview) and THANKFULLY do not venture to the left or right, at all. I know of tons of great beach area, but won't mention it because I like my, often, solo trips there .

No real good solid food to speak of. There used to be an above average pizza place, husband/wife duo but they argued so much, they kind of had to shut down. I think there is a new pizza place, DaVinci maybe that is pretty good.

Culture - you have a few museums but there is a heavy scent of snob in the air. Nothing like the museums here in DC, free and generally snob free.

All the interesting things you could do are at least 15, to as many as 90 or more minutes away. There is some nice nature that is not too far, depending on where in the town you are. But it is not worth it for the sub par (and over rated) schools.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:30 AM

4,448 posts, read 3,677,257 times
Old Lyme filled with snobs? I'm there all the time and never get that impression at all. I consider most of the region to be a lot more laid-back than the Hartford area, New Haven area or Fairfield County. Sure, there can be some snobbish wealthy people, but you can find snobbish wealthy people in every wealthy town. And, it sounds like you personally had issues with the teachers there, as I also know a lot of parents there and nobody has had issues like those of which you speak. The test scores for CMTs and SATs are among the best in the region as well.

There is almost nowhere in the world that can compare to Washington DC in terms of museums. So, comparing Old Lyme, with less than 8,000 people in it, to metro Washington DC with nearly 6 million, is not really a valid comparison. I've never felt anything but a friendly atmosphere there, either. For a town its size, having the Florence Griswold Museum and Lyme Academy of Arts is quite an achievement.

Sounds like a lot of sour grapes.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:11 AM

22,364 posts, read 36,879,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Old Lyme filled with snobs? I'm there all the time and never get that impression at all. I consider most of the region to be a lot more laid-back than the Hartford area, New Haven area or Fairfield County. Sure, there can be some snobbish wealthy people, but you can find snobbish wealthy people in every wealthy town. And, it sounds like you personally had issues with the teachers there, as I also know a lot of parents there and nobody has had issues like those of which you speak. The test scores for CMTs and SATs are among the best in the region as well.

There is almost nowhere in the world that can compare to Washington DC in terms of museums. So, comparing Old Lyme, with less than 8,000 people in it, to metro Washington DC with nearly 6 million, is not really a valid comparison. I've never felt anything but a friendly atmosphere there, either. For a town its size, having the Florence Griswold Museum and Lyme Academy of Arts is quite an achievement.

Sounds like a lot of sour grapes.
I agree. The OP is comparing a small coastal Connecticut town to one of the largest cities in the country. Really not fair. Also DC being the center of the Federal government means that there is a lot of free things to do which is not possible anywhere else in our country. Go to any other city and you will not find free museums. And of course the OP does not compare the cost of real estate. homes in DC are lot pricier than Old Lyme Connecticut. Jay

Old 05-17-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree. The OP is comparing a small coastal Connecticut town to one of the largest cities in the country. Really not fair. Also DC being the center of the Federal government means that there is a lot of free things to do which is not possible anywhere else in our country. Go to any other city and you will not find free museums. And of course the OP does not compare the cost of real estate. homes in DC are lot pricier than Old Lyme Connecticut. Jay
OP here. That was not me. My only reference to snobs was referring to the Westchester area in which I'm currently living.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:47 PM

303 posts, read 306,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Old Lyme filled with snobs? I'm there all the time
You are there all the time? How often? Once a month. I grew up there. Snobs galore. People are more down to earth in other towns. No sour grapes, just the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut