U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 06:56 AM

394 posts, read 427,912 times

Advertisements

Well Bridgeport is probably affordable with your budget, but its not a really nice place. Its a major city and its one of the worst cities in CT, I sometimes debate if Bridgeport or Waterbury is the worst city in CT. With your budget, Try Trumbull first. It is more expensive, but its closer to Stamford. Its true that the commute is not long in miles, but you would be commuting with traffic flow so it will take longer then you think. You can also try Darien although its a little lower class, its much closer to Stamford. If Trumbull and Darien don't work for you, you can go to Stratford which is what others recommend, or if you want a little quieter place and don't mind being kind of on the inland, try Shelton. Shelton is a great town although not as upper class, and for amenities, you might end up going to either Fairfield or Milford, but Shelton is affordable and a little quieter than Stratford.

And also if you don't mind rural areas, try New Canaan, Weston, Wilton, or Easton. They are just off the Merritt Pkwy which runs parallel with I-95, and it would be a pretty easy commute down to Stamford. But those towns are pretty rural, so consider the ones I said above first unless you want rural areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 09:30 AM

13,302 posts, read 15,963,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Well Bridgeport is probably affordable with your budget, but its not a really nice place. Its a major city and its one of the worst cities in CT, I sometimes debate if Bridgeport or Waterbury is the worst city in CT. With your budget, Try Trumbull first. It is more expensive, but its closer to Stamford. Its true that the commute is not long in miles, but you would be commuting with traffic flow so it will take longer then you think. You can also try Darien although its a little lower class, its much closer to Stamford. If Trumbull and Darien don't work for you, you can go to Stratford which is what others recommend, or if you want a little quieter place and don't mind being kind of on the inland, try Shelton. Shelton is a great town although not as upper class, and for amenities, you might end up going to either Fairfield or Milford, but Shelton is affordable and a little quieter than Stratford.

And also if you don't mind rural areas, try New Canaan, Weston, Wilton, or Easton. They are just off the Merritt Pkwy which runs parallel with I-95, and it would be a pretty easy commute down to Stamford. But those towns are pretty rural, so consider the ones I said above first unless you want rural areas.
I think you've been away from CT too long. You're recommending places way out of the OP's budget with few rentals available. The Merritt is far from an easy commute. It's traffic hell from Fairfield to Stamford.

New Canaan and Wilton are not rural. They have more commercial than Trumbull.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:41 AM

10,834 posts, read 12,115,138 times
Quote:

Darien is lower class than Trumbull or Stamford? Huh?

Old 05-11-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I think you've been away from CT too long. You're recommending places way out of the OP's budget with few rentals available. The Merritt is far from an easy commute. It's traffic hell from Fairfield to Stamford.

New Canaan and Wilton are not rural. They have more commercial than Trumbull.
You are right that Wilton, New Canaan, and Weston are out of the OP's budget but I believe it would be easier to find a rental place there than it would in Trumbull, Shelton, or Stratford. Less populated a little. But yeah I just said check there because I have found rental places in New Canaan for $900/month surprisingly, and I checked that out before for other people. I think it was because no one was buying it for a high price though, so they might lower it a bit.

OMG I am tired of arguing with people about the Merritt vs I-95. Done this so many times and I always had better experiences on the Merritt. Never ever seen a complete standstill on the Merritt before. You are right that I haven't been to CT for a long time but the last time I have been there was July 2013.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well lower than Trumbull but not Stamford. I never liked Darien its just a small town located in between 2 major cities, not as friendly people as Trumbull, Westport, Fairfield area.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:40 AM

8,783 posts, read 15,342,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Quote:
Well lower than Trumbull but not Stamford. I never liked Darien its just a small town located in between 2 major cities, not as friendly people as Trumbull, Westport, Fairfield area.

^^^^ You've obviously never even been to CT, let alone lived here.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:

Old 05-11-2014, 01:02 PM

I will say it again. I seriously don't like Darien at all. Understand, if you like Darien then thats your opinion.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:23 PM

8,783 posts, read 15,342,548 times
Quote:
I will say it again. I seriously don't like Darien at all. Understand, if you like Darien then thats your opinion.
Opinion?

I don't care for Darien or Trumbull, but i would never EVER claim them to be remotely in the same league. As i stated above, you don't know these areas, AT ALL.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I don't like Darien either. Oddly, it seems like a conservative enclave and the people tend to be very "i want it just the way I like it." Everyone is money hungry Republicans and old people. And stupid rich girls. I think Trumbull is much more down to earth and sort of resembles a suburb of Hartford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut