U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 08:16 AM

22,071 posts, read 36,399,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Why wouldn't a driver take route 1 in portchester until after the tolls in Greenwich? Simple avoidance. I am also not aware of smart tolls on an interstate with trucks.
The state could add tolls stations on the first couple of on-ramps in Greenwich to catch them. Still I doubt that would be necessary or a lot of vehicles. Jay
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Mass pike? That doesn't go through swamp land and it heads right through boston as well.
But notice that the Mass Pike is very narrow through Boston (only 3 lanes, narrow shoulders, no right-of-way). Actually it is no wider than I-95 for its entire route. Jay

Old 12-31-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
The second article I posted does touch on this . . . I think it quoted Malloy as saying that he would support a state constitutional amendment to set toll revenue aside in a "lockbox." That better be the case if this thing goes forward . . . no way in hell can you trust a politician on his/her word alone to not use the funds for things other than road improvements.
There actually is a "lockbox" on the Connecticut Highway Trust fund that requires all money collected by the gas tax to go to "support transportation". The question is what does "support transportation" mean? Should the State Police that patrols our highways be considered part of that? How about the salaries and benefits of staff at CTDOT and the Department of Public Safety? Or the staff in the Governor's office that deal with transportation issues? What about support required from DEEP? Or what about the managers and senior staff that support transportation as well. There is so much that could be added or taken away from the "lockbox" that in theory half the state government could be put under it. Again it is not an easy answer. Jay

Old 12-31-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
One factor: you need fewer toll lanes when they are the full speed variety.

You don't even necessarily need any toll booths. Some of the toll roads in Texas are transponder-only; you just drive under a structure built over the road itself. (If you go through without a transponder they take a picture of your license and mail you a bill for the toll. It costs more, but not a major amount more.)

Yes; as far as I know, only the Interstate system has those restrictions.
This type of tolling is called "Open Road Tolling". It only requires a gantry across the highway to mount transponder readers and cameras on. There is no need for booths or anything to slow down traffic. Because the system is so flexible, these could be installed almost anywhere on highways or ramps. This is a relatively new technology that is only used in a few places around the country. It seems to be relatively successful but it still has its limitations.

I always thought that the state should have kept tolls on its state roads. There were tolls on the Merritt and Wilbur Cross Parkways and on a couple of bridges in the Hartford area (including the Putnam Bridge) before so they could have been kept to bring in additional revenue. Still the sentiment at the time was that major accidents could happen on any road so all tolls were removed in the state. The state could reinstall them at some point when they have major projects on a state highway but so far there has been little or no support of that. Jay

Old 12-31-2014, 02:25 PM

39 posts, read 25,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Modern high speed tolls. You can drive through them at highway speed without stopping.
This.

They have these in jersey. Overpass scanners read your EZ pass and there are some optional cash lanes off to the side.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:43 PM

2,724 posts, read 2,615,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIANT_ENEMY_CRAB View Post
This.

They have these in jersey. Overpass scanners read your EZ pass and there are some optional cash lanes off to the side.
That looks to be 5-6 sides wide in both directions. Where can 95 accomodate that in lower ffc?

Old 12-31-2014, 02:51 PM

2,416 posts, read 1,830,348 times
I never lived in CT when there were tolls. Any lifelong residents out here who remember how the tolls were laid out back in the day? i.e. how frequently were they placed on 95? Every exit? Also, were there ever tolls on the Merritt? On 84? Sorry for bombarding w/ all these questions. It's going to be interesting to see what, if anything, is proposed. Thanks.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
That looks to be 5-6 sides wide in both directions. Where can 95 accomodate that in lower ffc?
Modern Open Road tolls do not have the booths. They just have the gantries over the road to read the transponders and take license plate photos. Still there is room for the booths right where the original Connecticut Turnpike toll booths were in Greenwich, Stratford and West Haven. Jay

Old 12-31-2014, 03:22 PM

615 posts, read 521,654 times
I believe I-95 had barrier tolls every so often between Fairfield and New Haven counties. One obvious former location is in West Haven. Stratford, of course, was another one of them. I can't speak for the Merritt Parkway, as I wasn't on that road until the mid-to-late 1990s.

The New Jersey ORT toll road picture looks to be the Carlstadt area, along the western spur of I-95 North, fairly close to the Meadowlands.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:26 PM

6,779 posts, read 4,628,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
I never lived in CT when there were tolls. Any lifelong residents out here who remember how the tolls were laid out back in the day? i.e. how frequently were they placed on 95? Every exit? Also, were there ever tolls on the Merritt? On 84? Sorry for bombarding w/ all these questions. It's going to be interesting to see what, if anything, is proposed. Thanks.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut