U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-18-2014, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Rochester, NY
1,129 posts, read 925,785 times
Reputation: 368

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
You bring up a good point... they'll probably use the Merritt more too. Damn... now I have a reason not to want it again. lol

Toll booth on Merritt too! Lets put a toll on Route 1 Post road also. Tolls in our driveways.
My NY state relatives said NY might toll I-684 and I-84 at Exit 21 to keep traffic off roads and push the out of state plates to the un-tolled I-95 and Merritt .
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-19-2014, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
22,104 posts, read 36,483,458 times
Reputation: 5854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek View Post
My NY state relatives said NY might toll I-684 and I-84 at Exit 21 to keep traffic off roads and push the out of state plates to the un-tolled I-95 and Merritt .
Again, this is unlikely. Whoever said that does not know anything. The Feds will be very careful where they allow tolls and will not allow them on highways just to keep out of state vehicles off them. That is why they call them interstate highways. Jay
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2014, 01:02 PM
 
3 posts, read 2,047 times
Reputation: 10
Do you remember why the tolls were eliminated in the first place? A woman burned to death because a tractor trailer slammed into her car. Tolls create such a safety issue. Drivers changing lanes, drivers fishing into their pockets for change, drivers trying to get their wallets, drivers trying to place back their wallets, etc. You are joking right?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2014, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
22,104 posts, read 36,483,458 times
Reputation: 5854
Quote:
Originally Posted by epower925 View Post
Do you remember why the tolls were eliminated in the first place? A woman burned to death because a tractor trailer slammed into her car. Tolls create such a safety issue. Drivers changing lanes, drivers fishing into their pockets for change, drivers trying to get their wallets, drivers trying to place back their wallets, etc. You are joking right?
You are thinking of the old fashioned toll plazas where cars line up to pay a toll taker or drop coins in a basket. Those days are gone. Now they put up transponder and license plate readers and bill you for the toll. You do not even have to slow down anymore. Still tolls are not great. It is a hidden form of taxation that people do not realize they are paying. Still we are rapidly running out of money to fix and build highways so this may be the only way to fund much needed highway construction. Jay
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2014, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
1,220 posts, read 1,071,519 times
Reputation: 1297
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You are thinking of the old fashioned toll plazas where cars line up to pay a toll taker or drop coins in a basket. Those days are gone. Now they put up transponder and license plate readers and bill you for the toll. You do not even have to slow down anymore. Still tolls are not great. It is a hidden form of taxation that people do not realize they are paying. Still we are rapidly running out of money to fix and build highways so this may be the only way to fund much needed highway construction. Jay
Sorry Jay, but with all due respect, the problem is not that there isnt enough money, the problem is the state out of control spending money that they do not have just as Wilton2ParkAve said earlier in this thread.

Surely you are not naive to think that find a way to waste the additional $$ the tolls will bring in, right??
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2014, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Connecticut
22,104 posts, read 36,483,458 times
Reputation: 5854
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Sorry Jay, but with all due respect, the problem is not that there isnt enough money, the problem is the state out of control spending money that they do not have just as Wilton2ParkAve said earlier in this thread.

Surely you are not naive to think that find a way to waste the additional $$ the tolls will bring in, right??
Roadway maintenance and improvements are funded by taxes, a fixed price tax that has not been increased in 20 or so years both on the Federal and State levels. In fact, the politicians in Hartford actually decreased the Connecticut gas tax 15 years ago. Last year the state increased the tax on wholesale sales which helped the state Trust Fund but the Federal Highway Trust Fund is set to run out of money this summer.

I am sure you realize that the cost of construction has gone up over the last 20 years so to rely on the same amount year after year really means there are less roadway improvements being made. This has NOTHING to do with state spending on other items. CTDOT has less employees n ow than they did 40 years ago so I am not really sure how anyone can say spending on transportation is out of control. So to answer you, no I am not naive, but it seems you may be. Jay
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2014, 10:20 AM
 
3 posts, read 2,047 times
Reputation: 10
Since when do politicians spend money on what they are supposed to? The toll money will only go towards pork projects. The money will not be used for road and infrastructure repairs. The government needs to learn how to run on less money not more money.

Did you know that people have gotten speeding tickets because they paid their tolls too quickly? Did you know that the government uses EZPass tags to track you?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2014, 10:32 AM
 
207 posts, read 191,969 times
Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Roadway maintenance and improvements are funded by taxes, a fixed price tax that has not been increased in 20 or so years both on the Federal and State levels. In fact, the politicians in Hartford actually decreased the Connecticut gas tax 15 years ago. Last year the state increased the tax on wholesale sales which helped the state Trust Fund but the Federal Highway Trust Fund is set to run out of money this summer.

I am sure you realize that the cost of construction has gone up over the last 20 years so to rely on the same amount year after year really means there are less roadway improvements being made. This has NOTHING to do with state spending on other items. CTDOT has less employees n ow than they did 40 years ago so I am not really sure how anyone can say spending on transportation is out of control. So to answer you, no I am not naive, but it seems you may be. Jay
Didn't the gas tax just go up 4 cents in 2013?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2014, 10:33 AM
 
207 posts, read 191,969 times
Reputation: 106
A new 3.6 cent wholesale gasoline tax increase, which retailers pass directly on to consumers at the pump, will bring the state's combined retail and wholesale gasoline taxes up 49.6 cents per gallon.
Connecticut's Gas Tax Jumps to Nearly 50 Cents July 1, 2013 - Government - Manchester, CT Patch
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2014, 10:34 AM
 
207 posts, read 191,969 times
Reputation: 106
oh you said that

my bad
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top