U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2014, 12:16 PM

904 posts, read 1,286,222 times

Advertisements

the more people drive on the roads, the more gas taxes they pay. The government still finds ways to waste tax money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Roadway maintenance and improvements are funded by taxes, a fixed price tax that has not been increased in 20 or so years both on the Federal and State levels. In fact, the politicians in Hartford actually decreased the Connecticut gas tax 15 years ago. Last year the state increased the tax on wholesale sales which helped the state Trust Fund but the Federal Highway Trust Fund is set to run out of money this summer.

I am sure you realize that the cost of construction has gone up over the last 20 years so to rely on the same amount year after year really means there are less roadway improvements being made. This has NOTHING to do with state spending on other items. CTDOT has less employees n ow than they did 40 years ago so I am not really sure how anyone can say spending on transportation is out of control. So to answer you, no I am not naive, but it seems you may be. Jay
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 01:18 PM

2,440 posts, read 2,065,057 times
Quote:
I am sure you realize that the cost of construction has gone up over the last 20 years so to rely on the same amount year after year really means there are less roadway improvements being made. This has NOTHING to do with state spending on other items. CTDOT has less employees n ow than they did 40 years ago so I am not really sure how anyone can say spending on transportation is out of control. So to answer you, no I am not naive, but it seems you may be. Jay
The cost of construction has gone up in all aspects. Just look at prevailing wage. A laborer cost a company around $55/hr. They get paid around $27/hr and that does not include benefits, OT after 40. If they are not a union member they get more because they can get fringe benefits in cash. Materials, fuel, mandates and other items have really jumped the cost of construction, but it varies in different States. CT is a very high cost State to work in. A job similar scope in Georgia would cost about 1/3 less to do.

CT does have less DOT employees than it did 40 years ago, but it now has to hire outside services to do inspections and engineering. They work on HOURLY pay and I can tell you first hand, they rake the State over coals. When an engineering company is BILLING the State $250/hr for an engineer that engineer will MILK it...believe me . One would think that if DOT did a lot of managing in-house the cost would be less. Plus CT has some crazy requirements that a lot of companies will not even bid CT DOT work because they will loss money.

Tolls, I don't think will help that issue.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:31 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,069,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epower925 View Post
Since when do politicians spend money on what they are supposed to? The toll money will only go towards pork projects. The money will not be used for road and infrastructure repairs. The government needs to learn how to run on less money not more money.

Did you know that people have gotten speeding tickets because they paid their tolls too quickly? Did you know that the government uses EZPass tags to track you?

Thank you! Someone who gets it!!

Old 05-22-2014, 03:13 PM

22,097 posts, read 36,438,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
The cost of construction has gone up in all aspects. Just look at prevailing wage. A laborer cost a company around $55/hr. They get paid around $27/hr and that does not include benefits, OT after 40. If they are not a union member they get more because they can get fringe benefits in cash. Materials, fuel, mandates and other items have really jumped the cost of construction, but it varies in different States. CT is a very high cost State to work in. A job similar scope in Georgia would cost about 1/3 less to do.

CT does have less DOT employees than it did 40 years ago, but it now has to hire outside services to do inspections and engineering. They work on HOURLY pay and I can tell you first hand, they rake the State over coals. When an engineering company is BILLING the State $250/hr for an engineer that engineer will MILK it...believe me . One would think that if DOT did a lot of managing in-house the cost would be less. Plus CT has some crazy requirements that a lot of companies will not even bid CT DOT work because they will loss money.

Tolls, I don't think will help that issue.
First of all, the State is not paying any engineering company $250 per hour for an engineer. They have limits on all the contracts and their multiplier is 2.54 times the persons salary. There are not many engineers making $100 per hour. Only the very top managers make even close to that amount and their involvement in most projects is usually very limited. Also most contracts CTDOT issues are lump sum contracts and they are very good at making sure they are not paying more than they have to. Inspection is done on an hourly basis but the hours are set so the inspector really can't abuse the system. Jay

Old 05-22-2014, 04:32 PM

2,440 posts, read 2,065,057 times
Agree that inspectors are set on hours. They fall under the Connecticut state employees umbrella. But CT has set contracts with engineering companies for engineering and environmental services.

See the link below that shows the hourly billing rate of 15 companies. I only found Florida from 2012. So I would think that CT rates are a little bit more.

Example: CEI project manager billing rate range from $190 to $208. You would suspect that the rate charged in CT is a bit more.

Engineers rate from $150 to $200 per hour.

The top manager rate for parsons is $400 per hour.

I don't think the old toll system would work, but I like how mass is doing it with the AET system.

http://www.pinellascounty.org/purcha...o%206-5-12.pdf

Old 05-22-2014, 06:05 PM

An interesting attachment but Connecticut rates are not much more if at all. Sorry but I am seeing the engineer rates a lot lower than $150. Project Engineers look to be billed out as low as $105, not $150. Several Senior Engineers make more but most make less than the rates you say. Remember these rates are what the company gets so it includes overhead (the costs to run the business) and benefits (insurance, FICA, paid time off, etc.). I still am not seeing the $250+ rates you say the firms are getting. Again, engineers do not make a lot. An engineer rate of $150 means that the engineer is making about $100,000 per year. Not a lot when you compare them to other professions like doctors and lawyers. Jay

Old 05-24-2014, 10:46 PM

1,129 posts, read 924,164 times
CT should build a walking trail between Port Chester, NY and Bridgeport, CT. It would probably be quicker to walk 35 miles than sit in traffic.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
the more people drive on the roads, the more gas taxes they pay. The government still finds ways to waste tax money.
Yes, but what is happening is that less people are driving less and gas usage is dropping as vehicle gas mileage is increasing. Combine this with inflation and you can easily understand that there is less work being done on our highways. Jay

Old 05-27-2014, 06:39 PM

208 posts, read 118,473 times
Quote:
An interesting attachment but Connecticut rates are not much more if at all. Sorry but I am seeing the engineer rates a lot lower than $150. Project Engineers look to be billed out as low as $105, not $150. Several Senior Engineers make more but most make less than the rates you say. Remember these rates are what the company gets so it includes overhead (the costs to run the business) and benefits (insurance, FICA, paid time off, etc.). I still am not seeing the $250+ rates you say the firms are getting. Again, engineers do not make a lot. An engineer rate of $150 means that the engineer is making about $100,000 per year. Not a lot when you compare them to other professions like doctors and lawyers. Jay
True, Jay. I work as a project manager at an engineering and environmental consulting firm, and our contract rates are as you've stated. In addition, we work hard to stay within budget and do not "milk it" when working for the State or any other client - not if we want to keep out jobs (and our reputations).

Old 08-23-2014, 11:47 AM

6,797 posts, read 4,656,113 times
Heavy Traffic in Stamford 41 mins from Stamford to Fairfield
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut