U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 08:18 AM

6,502 posts, read 4,399,214 times

Advertisements

Nanny State. Don't these idiots have better things to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 08:19 AM

2,604 posts, read 2,383,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Well, not according to industry lobbyists anyway.
Look at the studies. There's no comparison. Please enough with the propoganda.

It's like people with the high fructose corn syrup. It's nothing, but SUGAR. GLUCOSE. C6H12O6. It all gets converted to the same stuff in your body. ATP.

Just look at the studies in mice with cigarettes. It's a known high level carcinogen. Causes severe dna mutation by NUMEROUS not naturally occurring chemicals like benzene, cabon monoxide and whole other list of chemicals. It causes tar to form all over the lungs and causes emphysema later in life. It also causes higher incidence of heart disease. It's like taking a bath in gasoline every day. You can't compare this stuff to drinking a can of pop. Even diet soda, the artificial sweeteners have been tested like crazy. Their relatively safe. Some very limited possibilities of small minor risk in cancer, but not proven. And you'd have to drink 1000 cans a day to get the level that mice are tested with before they start showing genetic mutations. Cigarette smoke at any level causes increase in cancer risk. Basic experiments exposing rats to cig smoke showed ENORMOUS unquestionable increases in carcinogensis.

The links of drinking a can of soda a day to all the problems caused by cigarettes simply isn't there. No matter what you say about irrational conspiracy theories.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:23 AM

56,498 posts, read 38,993,477 times
Good decision.. Even low fat milk, It's the chocolate that ruins it. Here's the label. 24 grams of sugar?? 66% of the calorie is carbs. 62% of fat ratio is saturated fats.

But like others have said... it all matters at home too! Stop feeding them McDonalds & Soda!!

Chocolate Milk, Lowfat - Complete Nutritional Information

Old 05-16-2014, 08:41 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,031,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Good decision.. Even low fat milk, It's the chocolate that ruins it. Here's the label. 24 grams of sugar?? 66% of the calorie is carbs. 62% of fat ratio is saturated fats.

But like others have said... it all matters at home too! Stop feeding them McDonalds & Soda!!

It's still 287 m.g. of calcium they wouldn't otherwise get.
And 490 iu of vitamin A they wouldn't get
And 8.1 grams of protein they wouldn't get.

IMHO the protein, calcium, and vitamins trump a few carbs.

Again there are kids whose only nutrition comes from school. Those kids need the protein and calcium.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:49 AM

Chocolate is bad for you now? LOL Ever heard of antioxidants?

You can die walking across the street. If you want to save lives, improve auto safety. Number one killer of children and young adults.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

What's wrong with 24 grams of sugar? Show me a study showing one chocolate milk a day leads to an enormous risk of disease? I know people who are thin as can be and drink chocolate milk.
Again only 8% of daily allowance of saturated fat. Really depends what else their eating as well. Truth is you can eat great and still die of cancer or heart disease or dementia or a stroke. You only live once. I don't think a chocolate milk is an enormous risk. LOL In fact it's laughable we are even having this discussion.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:54 AM

I'd call a chocolate milk a day as a good choice for healthy nutrition. Pair that chocolate milk with some cut up apples and it's a good snack!

Old 05-16-2014, 08:59 AM

399 posts, read 554,428 times
I guess I'm still wondering why we care if kids drink milk in school at all? What's wrong with water like the rest of the world?

Old 05-16-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse_f View Post
I guess I'm still wondering why we care if kids drink milk in school at all? What's wrong with water like the rest of the world?
Milk is loaded with protein and carbs(these are actually good unless you have a severe weight problem They provide energy) and nutrients.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:10 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,031,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse_f View Post
Umm.. water has NO protein and calcium..necessary for growth.
AND. Btw.glucose is necessary for brain function. It isn't at all bad to have some healthy carbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut