Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 04:28 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,890,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Your Source is 14 years old.

Anyway, take a look at the breakdown in the schools. 85(+)% Black, 15% Other.

To put that in perspective, most of the schools in Bridgeport have more white students than Bloomfield does!

When i think of racially balanced/integrated, i'm thinking more along the lines of my town, where the schools are basically at about 50% white, 25% black, 25% hispanic/other.
It's very common that towns that appear to be integrated at a general population level have school systems that are overwhelmingly black/hispanic. In these cases, the white citizens are either older holdovers, while those moving in are nonwhite, and/or white people with school-age children send their kids to private school.

Bridgeport is about 1/3 white in terms of citizenry, but white students make up only about 10% of the school system, probably primarily in magnet schools with special admission standards.

Norwalk and Stamford are actually relatively integrated in terms of both school system and general population, but I can't think of a town/city that meets those standards AND has a school system that is considered desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 08:29 AM

92,101 posts, read 122,326,409 times
What about Newington?

Newington School District Historical Median Household Income by Races Data - USA.com™

https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/in...=1&CS=ED5113FE

Can use the map to view information by census tract/block group/block, among other census divisions: Newington School District - USA.com™

Or nearby Wethersfield: Wethersfield School District Historical Median Household Income by Races Data - USA.com™

https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/in...10&CS=EF5CF3F6

For map use: Wethersfield School District - USA.com™

Old 06-19-2018, 09:17 AM

1,979 posts, read 1,436,375 times
Many of the Hartford suburbs other the South Windsor Glastonbury Farmington Simsbury and Canton kind of fit.

Manchester Windsor and West Hartford would be ones that stick out in my mind.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:02 AM

4,712 posts, read 5,920,082 times
Why is there an assumption that Avon is an overwhelmingly white town? Somebody posted 98% white above. Compared to Simsbury and Canton, it’s definitely much more diverse. In 2000, the town was about 94% white, and in 2010, it was under 90% white. Based on the trends, I’m guessing that in 2018, it’s closer to 85-87% white. Simsbury is still over 90% white and Canton is still over 95% white. The school systems in Avon are more diverse than the town overall, as the “whitest” part of town are the retirees. A few years back, the schools were around 80% white and I'm guessing it's a bit under that now.

I’ve seen similar posted about Avon in the past on here – a few years back, somebody mentioned how that you need to be blonde haired and blue eyed to live in Avon, though when I looked at my daughter’s class picture from that year, I think there were two blondes out of 20 or 21 kids? I guess the parents of the other 18 or 19 kids didn’t get that message?

Last edited by NewJeffCT; 06-19-2018 at 11:07 AM..

Old 06-19-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Why is there an assumption that Avon is an overwhelmingly white town? Somebody posted 98% white above. Compared to Simsbury and Canton, it’s definitely much more diverse. In 2000, the town was about 94% white, and in 2010, it was under 90% white. Based on the trends, I’m guessing that in 2018, it’s closer to 85-85% white. Simsbury is still over 90% white and Canton is still over 95% white. The school systems in Avon are more diverse than the town overall, as the “whitest” part of town are the retirees. A few years back, the schools were around 80% white and I'm guessing it's a bit under that now.

I’ve seen similar posted about Avon in the past on here – a few years back, somebody mentioned how that you need to be blonde haired and blue eyed to live in Avon, though when I looked at my daughter’s class picture from that year, I think there were two blondes out of 20 or 21 kids? I guess the parents of the other 18 or 19 kids didn’t get that message?
Old views die hard. Honestly the family I know that lives in Avon had their last kid graduated around 2004. But in comparison to places like Windsor at 50% or WH at 72% it's still fairly white. Looks like it's about the same as Glastonbury honestly.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:10 AM

4,712 posts, read 5,920,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Old views die hard. Honestly the family I know that lives in Avon had their last kid graduated around 2004. But in comparison to places like Windsor at 50% or WH at 72% it's still fairly white. Looks like it's about the same as Glastonbury honestly.
eh, I remember when I was at UConn back in the dark ages of the 80s, the several people from Avon that I knew from my classes tended to be upper middle class guys/girls of Italian descent, so were also dark haired.

And, no, Avon is not diverse when compared to West Hartford or Windsor, but it's not a lily white town filled with people suited to be the Aryan ideal.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:12 AM

6,462 posts, read 4,863,932 times
I'm surprised to see Windsor on this list. I grew up there and the Wilson section was fairly poor and run down. I still bike through there and see about the same. I can see where it's 50% white but I also believe there's a big income disparity.

Also surprised to see East Windsor in the first post - that's a predominantly white town.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:26 AM

92,101 posts, read 122,326,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I'm surprised to see Windsor on this list. I grew up there and the Wilson section was fairly poor and run down. I still bike through there and see about the same. I can see where it's 50% white but I also believe there's a big income disparity.

Also surprised to see East Windsor in the first post - that's a predominantly white town.
Windsor SD historical median household income information: Windsor School District Historical Median Household Income by Races Data - USA.com™

Can view info by section on the map: Windsor School District - USA.com™

For instance, a census tract in the SW portion of the SD: Census Tract 473100 in Hartford County, Connecticut
Census Tract 473100 in Hartford County, Connecticut Population and Races
Census Tract 473100 in Hartford County, Connecticut Income and Careers
So, Windsor has a predominantly Black section/area that is middle class(if not more than one).

School demographic info for the Windsors: https://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/in...29&CS=6F6EDB2C

Old 06-19-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post

East Windsor is mostly white but not quite as white as some other towns about 80%.

Windsor is kind of odd but not that odd. The demographics that changed the Wilson section in the 70's and 80's had an interesting effect. Lots of families that grew up in the area seemed to have created a connection to the town and you have more non white people buying houses in the former umm well no PC way to say this whiter sections of town as their incomes have grown. I can tell you back in the 90's you could see this shift happening. Several of the black families I knew in the Wilson area bought houses in the Kennedy road and Poquonock sections of town when they could afford too.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:02 PM

331 posts, read 205,429 times
Rocky Hill is pretty diverse. Most of the kids at my son’s school are Indian. We are Hispanic, but I supposed ds is “white” passing. We love it here. It’s very important for kids to be around people who look different.

I read somewhere that over half the births in Rocky Hill are are to Indian and Pakistani women. We have a neighbor who wears the full on niqab. Although this neighbor isn’t friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut