Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 08:27 PM

13 posts, read 20,269 times

Advertisements

I need advice. My family and I are moving to CT by the end of July from FL. I've been looking properties in Southbury, Middlebury, Sherman, Simsbury, Oxford, Cheshire, Woodbridge, Monroe, Canton, Glastonbury, Norfolk and Granby. I am hoping someone can point me to the right direction. We are looking for a suburb or rural towns with great school ratings and family oriented environment. Someone mention not to move to Avon or Simsbury because is a very expensive economy and just because there schools are top ratings it doesn't mean they might be ideal for my Autistic children. My son is in Pre-k and my daughter is in Early-steps program. Can someone tell me more about these locations? Any information will be very helpful and appreciated. Thank You.

Respectfully,
Mrs. Sanchez
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 08:46 PM

21,744 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Great school rating doesn't always mean a great autism program. I've heard of families going to "lesser" districts because their special needs programs were more robust.

Geographically, those towns are over a very large area - what made you choose them geographically?

You may want to reach out to some autistic groups in CT to see what they think about schools.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:22 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
I think Simsbury public schools may have educators for autistic students, but don't quote me on it. The town is expensive, but there's a few apartment buildings on Hopmeadow Street in the center of town. It sounds like you're juggling alot of knives here: Finding a quality school district that includes services for autistic children, but in a rural suburb that's not too expensive, could be a challenge. Have you confirmed where you'll be working? That would also play a role in determining where you end up. There's no point in living in Norfolk or Middlebury if you're working closer to Hartford. I think Whiting Lane Elementary in West Hartford offers services for autistic students, but I wouldn't suggest moving there if you want a rural environment. If so, there are other towns nearby that can provide this.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:50 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
Where will you be working?

Old 05-20-2014, 07:19 AM

2,175 posts, read 1,639,783 times
Where will you be working, and also whats your budget? There are a lot of rural towns but I suspect that they are way beyond your budget if you come from florida.

More reasonable Rural and Suburban towns but still great are:

West Hartford
Marlborough
Hebron
Colchester
East Lyme (Surprisingly Reasonable)
Tolland

Middle Pricing towns are:

Trumbull
Stonington
Glastonbury
Farmington
New Fairfield
Brookfield
Sherman
Old Lyme

High Pricing Towns are:

Fairfield
Westport
New Canaan
Weston
Easton
Redding
Ridgefield

These are what I can recommend now but I really need to know where your job will be and what your budget is to really recommend towns.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:34 AM

21,744 posts, read 28,070,632 times
That's a very random list and is leaving off A LOT of good towns. Let's see where the OP is working first.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:17 AM

302 posts, read 295,773 times
I have a moderately autistic son and the schools here in Trumbull have been wonderful for him. They give him all the assistance he needs and we have definitely noticed a difference. He gets speech, reading, OT and social skills in the way of a supervised lunch buddies group. I would like a bit better communication (we received daily updates in a note book when he was in school in NY), but maybe we were just used to that from his last school.

Not where you were looking per se, but just to give you one parent's insight that is going through the same thing.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:27 AM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angievillafane View Post
I need advice. My family and I are moving to CT by the end of July from FL. I've been looking properties in Southbury, Middlebury, Sherman, Simsbury, Oxford, Cheshire, Woodbridge, Monroe, Canton, Glastonbury, Norfolk and Granby. I am hoping someone can point me to the right direction. We are looking for a suburb or rural towns with great school ratings and family oriented environment. Someone mention not to move to Avon or Simsbury because is a very expensive economy and just because there schools are top ratings it doesn't mean they might be ideal for my Autistic children. My son is in Pre-k and my daughter is in Early-steps program. Can someone tell me more about these locations? Any information will be very helpful and appreciated. Thank You.

Respectfully,
Mrs. Sanchez

I am a little confused at the wide area these towns cover. They seem to be all over the state (Fairfield County, New Haven County, Hartford County, Litchfield County). I think you need to concentrate on narrowing this area down. You do not mention budget which would make a difference. I am not sure why you are eliminating Avon and Simsbury, they are no more expensive then say Woodbridge or Glastonbury. Jay

Old 05-20-2014, 08:42 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times
agreed - the most important thing to know is where you'd be working, and then your budget and how far you'd be willing to commute.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:54 AM

26 posts, read 64,621 times
As a mom of a kid on the spectrum, the rumor is look at Trumbull and Wilton. Avoid Greenwich and Darien like the plague. There may be more, but its a start for you - again, not even sure if these towns are near you. There are state Autism resources and local advocates you can engage that know the answers to these questions. Some google time might be helpful. GOOD LUCK. The early intervention programing CT is called Birth TWO THREE or BIRTH23.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut