Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 05:04 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Seriously, Caraluzzis is the single best grocer I've been to. We no longer frequent Whole Foods, Fairway or Balducci's for higher end fare. I went to school near Rochester, so I'm intimately familiar with the power of Wegman's. At the end of the day, Caraluzzi's has a butcher, baker and produce on par with the aforementioned "chains" at much lower price point (although above S&S or a Publix). However unlike Whole Foods, you can actually do a full weekly food shop since they actually carry mainline brands for cereal and drinks (among other foods). Each register has a dedicated bagger and they pay cashiers well. The owners and me are on a first name basis and they are responsive to adding merchandise on request if not previously stocked. Perfection.
Thanks, so more customer service friendly for sure (something S&S sure as hell can't provide)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 08:29 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
Would love to see Publix here. But dont bet on it ever happening. It really is a shame that just about all of our grocery stores are just horrible places to shop. Id be worried about Publix holding up to their standard up here, if they ever get here. But Chic-Ail-A has so far so I guess its possible.

What I miss about Publix is the excellent deli and even their bakery. You can tell they really put effort into it. Do any of the grocers here put much effort?

Old 01-01-2017, 03:44 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,847 times
Having relocated to Florida from Ct in 2014, we go to publix for just a few things, Publix is way overpriced, especially produce. For example, there is a local market here called Detwillers, not really a chain store, but there are maybe 4 stores in Sarasota where I live. Went shopping there yesterday for new years eve dinner, price and quality not even close to publix, simplest of things, lemons, were 5 for $1, at publix they are 2 for $1.69.

Meat is way superior as well, publix is convenient for something if we need it, but overall just too expensive, better off going to Costco. Or super wal mart. I've learned here, go to a local store for meat/produce, walmart for non perishables etc, and Costco for bulk items that we need. Publix is nice, but overpriced, even when they have buy one get one free, most of the time it's crap and not the stuff we use anyway, like cheap ball park franks or kids cereal filled with sugar, etc.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:05 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
I would welcome a Market Basket or Hannafords.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:56 AM

319 posts, read 278,926 times
Virginia and Maryland are Mid-Atlantic states, not really north or south although depending on which part you live there is either a more southern or norther influence, in NoVa you most likely would not see too many confederate flags, in southwest Virginia, moonshine country, you would.

I live just outside Fredricksburg down the road from Wilderness Battlefield, we have a mix of north and south influence.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:15 AM

223 posts, read 172,432 times
As a former SC resident, Publix is awesome. I just think we already have mid/higher end grocers that fill that market in CT-Big Y and Stop n Shop.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:40 AM

23 posts, read 24,148 times
I wish they would come here. Public has everything and so super friendly unlike the Stop and Shops I've been too. Wegmans would be nice

Old 01-05-2017, 06:49 AM

223 posts, read 172,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I would welcome a Market Basket or Hannafords.
Market Basket would be great! A true New England classic.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:15 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetnewspaper View Post
Market Basket would be great! A true New England classic.
...and very affordable. They don't have a shoppers card, but their normal prices are often lower than Big Y / S&S after the card discount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut