Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 11:39 AM

21,495 posts, read 27,738,410 times

Advertisements

My choices would be Litchfield:

Bridgewater, Roxbury, Washington, Kent, Cornwall, Litchfield, Falls Village, New Preston

Visit Kent Falls, Lake Waramaug, Lime Rock Park, the covered bridges, Toymakers Cafe

Or the Essex area:

Essex, Chester, East Haddam, Devil's Hopyard, Gilette Castle, the steam train, the river museum. Maybe make a pitstop at the Guilford Green and tour some of the oldest houses in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 11:59 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,377,479 times
That second paragraph sounds good.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:14 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,633,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
I googled and it seems very pretty. What I would really like to do is take a vacation to Connecticut, and my plan for a getaway with misses Armyvet1 would be maybe a farm that is open to the public and you can pick apples or pumpkins, have some cider, take in the gorgeous New England leaves. I'm looking for that type of setting
This is the wrong season to do that. You're looking for late September/early October. I'd suggest Guilford, for a few reasons:

1. Autumn, inland near the CT Shoreline is spectacular, on fire with colorful trees. A few scenic routes to choose from, you're not stuck with Boston Post Rd (though in that part of the state, it's pretty sweet).
2. Bishop's Orchards (pick your own apples and pumpkins)
3. Several Bed & Breakfasts in or near Guilford
4. A fairly quick ride to Killingworth's Chatfield Hollow, if you want to see a more rural setting while you're here.
5. Less than 1/2 hour to Essex, which is a particularly lovely old New England town made up of three villages (Essex, Ivoryton, and Centerbrook) at the end of the CT River where it opens up into the Long Island Sound.

Here are some links for you to check out:

Bishop's Farms: Home - Bishop's Orchard, Guilford CT | Farm Fresh Produce | Winery | Garden Center

Chatfield Hollow: DEEP: Chatfield Hollow State Park

Guilford, CT (Wiki): Guilford, Connecticut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (their official site): Town of Guilford, Connecticut

Bartlet Farm B&B: Guilford, CT Bed & Breakfast

Essex info: Essex, Connecticut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you think Essex would be a better place to stay, and then go to Guilford for the day of apple/pumpkin picking instead, the Griswold Inn in Essex is famous and makes for a very unique perspective of CT. It can be touristy in the summer but in September after Labor Day it has a whole different feel to it:

http://www.griswoldinn.com/Low_index.htm

Old 05-26-2014, 07:07 PM

Bartlett farm sounds good

Old 05-26-2014, 07:08 PM

I wasn't aware that Halloween was considered a New England holiday.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:31 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,633,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
I wasn't aware that Halloween was considered a New England holiday.
It's not a legal holiday - the municipal offices don't close or anything like that. But it's definitely a cultural holiday here in New England. Consider - the pumpkins that most people think of, when they think of Halloween, originated in Connecticut and are known as Connecticut Field pumpkins.

In fact, much of the Halloween culture - pumpkin carving, bobbing for apples, scary stories around a bonfire - has its origins in New England history. New England is a HUGE Halloween center.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:54 PM

Makes sense really. I know it's not Connecticut but I guess if you factor in the Salem Witch Trials and the area of New York where the Headless Horseman was crafted, I can see a rich Halloween tradition.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:57 PM

21,495 posts, read 27,738,410 times
Speaking of B&B's, we stayed here once and it was great. Very old house full of character. Tissa's next door has amazing Moroccan food (and pretty good ice cream).

Connecticut Bed and Breakfast Inn, Old Saybrook CT lodging accommodations, Deacon Timothy Pratt Bed and Breakfast Inn, B&B, hotels

Old 06-02-2014, 05:09 PM

71 posts, read 121,539 times
I also like Lyman's Orchard,, Apple picking is great,, donuts, maze, Great place to spend the day now through fall.. New England to me is all about the fairs,,, We use to have (maybe in some select areas) you can still find some New England Food,, Ct is now a mix of diverse cultures,,, New England food to me is Maple syrup being tapped out of tree, Brown bread baked in cans and steamed,, Apples and Apple Pie,, Clam chowder and seafood,,, the minute you drive the highways you get all that chain food and you really have to hunt and drive to find Ct atmosphere hidden amongst the chaos....

Old 06-03-2014, 01:20 AM

I'm not really into all the chain stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut