Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 06:23 AM

24 posts, read 44,541 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move closer to husband's work in Middletown, would like his commute to be 30 minutes or less. We have driven through Colchester, East Hampton and Portland, I wasn't a fan of Portland but like the other two towns, especially Colchester which I know is more of a 35-40 min commute to Middletown. We are hoping to check out Wallingford, Killingworth, Chester, Deep River area soon. Our budget is around 200k, which I know is not a lot for the area, but we are fine with a smaller home. We are looking for a town with great schools, nice neighborhoods and downtown, a good sense of community, within 30 minutes to a YMCA and within 10 mins to a grocery store. I'm also a stay at home mom, not sure if any towns or area would have more of them but that would be great too TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 07:54 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,395 times
Welcome to CT. Unfortunately $200k doesn't get you much in terms of a house in those towns. If it does, chances are it'll require some handyman work. The towns you listed are all very nice (especially Colchester) but most of those towns are rural so housing is limited. I think you'd get more house for your $ in Wallingford and that's definitely a town that fits your criteria and it's nice. There are websites you can use to search individual house prices town by town (like Berkshire Hathaway, previously prudentialct.com) and look for what's available. I know you said you're looking at those certain towns, but I wouldn't limit my search to just those. There's a few towns that come to mind if you want good schools, a downtown area and short commute time to Middletown. You might also want to consider Newington, about 2 towns north of Middletown, where you can easily get a nice house for $200k or less. Not a McMansion, but a nice 1950s ranch or split level. The schools are good and they have a small, walkable Main Street area.

Last edited by MikefromCT; 05-30-2014 at 08:25 AM..

Old 05-30-2014, 08:46 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,757,425 times
You could also look in Cromwell, North Haven, both of which are nice towns. . Not a ton of a lot in that price range, but enough to offer a choice. Although I agree that Wallingford might be the best bet overall for your wish list.

Killingworth is basically rural and you'd also be priced out of it. Chester & Deep River, the same price wise.
Also,you'd most probably be dealing with wells & septic systems .You don't want to have a problem with one of those on a single income in your price range.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:20 AM

Thanks for your help everyone. That's a good point Willow Wind my husband mentioned that before. We just had to fix our septic system (close to $10k) in order to put our current house on the market. Thankfully my husband is handy, so as long as the bones are good we don't mind having to work on the house. Would you consider Newington and Wallingford to have a similar feel to Colchester?

Old 05-30-2014, 11:54 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,566 times
Cromwell, Berlin, Rocky Hill, Wethersfield and Newington are all nice towns that are safe and offer pretty good schools and are not far from Middletown. You might be able to find something in your budget in those towns, though it might be on a busier road and/or need some fixing up.

Most of Middletown is pretty safe as well, but the schools are not as good as the above towns, or North Haven.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:04 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel_jenni View Post
Would you consider Newington and Wallingford to have a similar feel to Colchester?
No, not atall. Colchester is a rural community that's becoming suburbanized but maintains a small-town feel since there's still a good amount of open space (some of which is preserved through land trusts.) Newington is a postwar suburb: lots of split levels and raised ranch houses on modest lots. Very fifties. A nice, well-kept suburb just south of Hartford that's consistently maintained a middle class, and it's still an affordable town for homebuyers. If you're looking for a rural atmosphere, though, I'd suggest elsewhere. Newington has lots of positives, but vast amounts of open space is not one of them. Colchester still has open fields, farmland, even a winery. Wallingford may give a nice blance between the two. It's pretty suburban but IMO doesn't feel as built up or as densely populated as Newington.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:21 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,566 times
agree with Mike - Newington, as well as Cromwell, Berlin, Rocky Hill and Wethersfield will all be somewhat similar in that they've been suburbanized for decades.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:31 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,757,425 times
Yes,Colchester feels, IMO, nothing like the older suburbs on the other side of the river.

Wallingford could be very workable though , if you like the more open space feel. Especially south east Wallingford, which is still not heavily developed and has lots of fields and woods.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:14 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
agree with Mike - Newington, as well as Cromwell, Berlin, Rocky Hill and Wethersfield will all be somewhat similar in that they've been suburbanized for decades.
I agree with these suggestions though a lot will depend on what you expect for your money. Colchester is great but it is kind of far from major shopping and entertainment options. Some people like that, some don't. Newington is very suburban in character. Nice smaller middle class homes with everything nearby. The Old Wethersfield section of Wethersfield is very charming with streets and streets of charming old homes. I find it surprisingly charming. There should be some modest homes in your price range there. Jay

Old 05-30-2014, 01:35 PM

Thank you again everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut