Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 01:32 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
A question...... Have any of you looked at the crime stats in Jamaica ? The leading murder country, in terms of per capita crimes, in the western hemisphere, exceeded only by South Africa.

I live in Toronto, which has all most exactly the same population as the entire population of Jamaica. About three million people in each place. Guess which one has 1200 homicides a YEAR? No it isn't Toronto.

So, my question is a simple one........How and why are the Jamaicans who live in Jamaica, so violent , but the ones who move to a US State, are not ? Any body with an answer to that ?

link.2013 bloodier than 2012 - News - JamaicaObserver.com

By the way, here in Toronto, many of our "most wanted criminals " are Jamaicans, or the kids of Jamaican immigrants.

link.Toronto murders drop after Jamaica-based gang crackdown - Canada - CBC News

Jim B.

Toronto.

Thugs from South America use Jamaica as a drugs trade transport point to America since jamaica is halfway point to the U.S in the Caribbean so there a on-going turf battle. Other factor is Lack of opportunities, lack of government assistance. Over the years Crime is dropping in Jamaica but still high

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lates...rop-in-murders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 01:43 PM

678 posts, read 846,954 times
Well okay, but calling a Native American an Indian is incorrect like calling a British a Turk. Considering history, the reason being is cause when Christopher Columbus (A terrible human being, by the way) ventured out West, he thought he settled in Asia, specifically India, not the Americas. Europeans back in those days looked down upon anyone who's not White and Christian, so, Indians were deemed barbaric/uneducated. They only respected India mostly for its resources. And that's why they continued calling them Indians even after they realized it's a whole different region of the world cause of its connotations.

Just ask yourself why Indians in particular and not Russians or Azeris, or Indonesians after they realized their terrible geography.

And I'm not being prejudice mate, lol! I apologize if I sounded that way. I take great interest in Asia, to be honest. I'm just curious if the Lebanese in you is recent or is it more down the line. It's a much more different country in culture and religion compared to the other countries you stated, that's all.

I apologize again if people misunderstood me. I can understand why, haha! My wording was totally off. I guess I was sleepy when I wrote that, but know that my intention is not to put down anyone. Kidyankee, the statement you bolded of mine meant that I hope I can see Connecticut become more diverse than it is now. Coming from California, I would see people of various countries many Americans don't even know of. I hope New England as a whole can be more representative of that, that's all. It seems like Connecticut is on a good pace. It's roughly 75% White, and I'm hoping minorities here have more of a leg by the next census (2020). I'm thinking 65/35. That's my official stance.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:51 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
I'm not sure I buy this report entirely. I see way more Hispanic than Jamaican people around the state, regardless of town. So I would think the numbers are skewed since they are not counting illegal aliens.
The reports makes total sense. The majority of Hispanics in the state are Puerto Ricans, who alone comprise about 7% of the state's population. They are U.S. citizens and are therefore not counted as immigrants.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:56 PM

267 posts, read 447,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
Well okay, but calling a Native American an Indian is incorrect like calling a British a Turk. Considering history, the reason being is cause when Christopher Columbus (A terrible human being, by the way) ventured out West, he thought he settled in Asia, specifically India, not the Americas. Europeans back in those days looked down upon anyone who's not White and Christian, so, Indians were deemed barbaric/uneducated. They only respected India mostly for its resources. And that's why they continued calling them Indians even after they realized it's a whole different region of the world cause of its connotations.

Just ask yourself why Indians in particular and not Russians or Azeris, or Indonesians after they realized their terrible geography.

And I'm not being prejudice mate, lol! I apologize if I sounded that way. I take great interest in Asia, to be honest. I'm just curious if the Lebanese in you is recent or is it more down the line. It's a much more different country in culture and religion compared to the other countries you stated, that's all.

I apologize again if people misunderstood me. I can understand why, haha! My wording was totally off. I guess I was sleepy when I wrote that, but know that my intention is not to put down anyone. Kidyankee, the statement you bolded of mine meant that I hope I can see Connecticut become more diverse than it is now. Coming from California, I would see people of various countries many Americans don't even know of. I hope New England as a whole can be more representative of that, that's all. It seems like Connecticut is on a good pace. It's roughly 75% White, and I'm hoping minorities here have more of a leg by the next census (2020). I'm thinking 65/35. That's my official stance.
Ok Native American it is man.

My family has lived in and around Danbury for generations. There are many Portuguese people throughout New England and Danbury has a large Lebanese population. In fact there is a Lebanese-American club in downtown Danbury.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:04 PM

267 posts, read 447,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
The reports makes total sense. The majority of Hispanics in the state are Puerto Ricans, who alone comprise about 7% of the state's population. They are U.S. citizens and are therefore not counted as immigrants.
Exactly. I hated when people in Florida would ask Puerto Ricans if it was hard to get their citizenship.. lol. I guess the mistake is slightly more understandable as Puerto Ricans are a far smaller percentage of the Spanish-speaking population there.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:20 PM

678 posts, read 846,954 times
Lol! I know several Lebanese folks in the area. The funny thing though is that the first Lebanese I ever met was back in L.A.

Anyways, I pass by the Lebanese-American club all the time, actually. (I live in Upper Fairfield County, myself. Newtown to be exact). It's right off West St, I believe. Man, I remember I was thoroughly surprised when I ventured out and about Danbury and realized that the number of Brazilians, Lebanese, and Portuguese folks are high compared to other regions of United States. It's odd when you see things in Portuguese and not Spanish. I love it, though!

Old 06-02-2014, 03:38 PM

10,079 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Quote:
Well okay, but calling a Native American an Indian is incorrect like calling a British a Turk.
They were called Indians because Columbus et al thought they were in the Indies (not in India as is popularly taught). Once they figured out they were not in the Indies, a name change followed. The original Indies (the archipelago off the coast of southeast Asia encompasses places like Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, and many other places) became the East Indies and the 'new' Indies became the West Indies and to this day the Caribbean islands are still known as the West Indies.

http://media.web.britannica.com/eb-m...4-D11BA6E8.gif

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/c...al/westind.gif

In fact, in New York City every summer they have a West Indian parade which includes people from all over the Caribbean minus the Spanish islands.

The confusion arose because of a loss in translation. People noticed that the Spanish claim to have arrived to "las Indias" and they simply assumed that Indias meant India, but in reality the extra S at the end makes that word Indies instead of India. For much of the colonial period in Spanish the Western Hemisphere was often referred to as "las Indias" and the homes constructed in Spain by Spanish men that became successful in Latin America to this day as known as "casas indianas" meaning Indies houses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown
Europeans back in those days looked down upon anyone who's not White and Christian, so, Indians were deemed barbaric/uneducated.
Indians were deemed barbaric/uneducated after the Spanish encountered some gruesome scenes in their discovery. Much of the Lesser Antilles (the smaller islands of the eastern Caribbean) were inhabited by cannibal tribes. In fact, that is where the name Caribbean comes from (derives from the Spanish word for cannibalism which is "canibales", hence the Indians that practiced cannibalism became known as Caribs and their region the Caribbean). Quite a few Spanish eaten by the Caribs and in one occasion a group of Spanish found a human hand that was being barbecued in one of the smaller islands. Many of the Indian tribes also practiced polygamy and in many homosexual relations was quite common.

Once the Spanish began to penetrate the mainland, especially in places like Mexico and Peru, they discovered sanguinary tribes. Hernan Cortes, the conqueror of Mexico, was welcomed by the Aztec chiefs with a massive celebration that included sacrificing hundreds of young men to the Gods. This scene terrified the Spanish and also explains why the very first thing the Spanish did once they conquered the Aztecs was to prohibit human sacrifices. All those pyramids in Mexico and Central America were meant to be places to commit human sacrifice in a grand scale by the Aztec and the Mayans. They waged war on other tribes simply to capture fresh young men to kill by ripping their pumping hearts out of their chest while they were still alive, then having their heads chopped off, and the rest of the body thrown down the stairs to the base of the pyramids.

While no Spaniard was ever sacrificed in Mexico, Guatemala, or Peru; quite a few were eaten by the Caribs of the Caribbean. This last tribe was even despised and feared by the Arawak Indians in the larger islands, to the degree that just mentioning to them the name Carib was enough to make them tremble, at least according to the Spanish chroniclers of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown
Kidyankee, the statement you bolded of mine meant that I hope I can see Connecticut become more diverse than it is now. Coming from California, I would see people of various countries many Americans don't even know of. I hope New England as a whole can be more representative of that, that's all. It seems like Connecticut is on a good pace. It's roughly 75% White, and I'm hoping minorities here have more of a leg by the next census (2020). I'm thinking 65/35. That's my official stance.
I personally have no issue with natural heterogeneity, but I do have my reservations on forced multiculturalism.

Thomas Sowell says it best:

This reminds me of an anecdote from when I was a university student. I remember being puzzled by this, even though I never said anything to the professor. On one occasion she said that what matters about people is what's on the inside, but then on another occasion she said that it would be boring if everyone looked the same. I don't remember what the discussion was about when she said the first part, but the second part was a discussion about multiculturalism. To this very day I can't comprehend how someone that believes that what matters most is how people are and not how they look would also believe that if everyone looked the same that somehow that would be boring. Boring how? Isn't it the inside that counts and makes everyone unique? Isn't personality, manners, and education that marks the differences among humans? Not to mention that there's no such thing as everyone looking alike, even when most people look similar.

Anyway, sign of the times! People contradict themselves without them knowing. lol

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-02-2014 at 04:14 PM..

Old 06-03-2014, 02:00 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Quote:
Christopher Columbus (A terrible human being, by the way)
I'm in agreement with you there. I can only hope people who celebrate Columbus Day are just ignorant.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:15 PM

10,079 posts, read 14,952,774 times
I don't think Columbus was an evil man at all and that is more of modern nonsense in which some people want to judge the past with today's moral standards. Not to mention that many of the people that claim that Columbus was evil ignore a lot of things.

Why do I not consider Columbus an evil man?

First, he was an excellent navigator. The guy sailed across the Atlantic with a valor and precision that is staggering, especially considering the type of technology that existed back then.

Second, he didn't produce a single genocide. This is one of the lies that have been created in recent times. Most of the indigenous people that died in the Americas did so due to the spread of diseases that were completely unknown to the Indians. Simple diseases such as the common cold ravaged entire Indian communities. The Spanish themselves didn't completely know what was going on because their discovery took place centuries before germ theory even came to fruition. (Guns Germs & Steel: Variables. Smallpox | PBS)

Third, people that like to paint Columbus as an evil man often make it seem as if he invented slavery. The reality is that slavery has existed for millenniums before Columbus was even born. Even the Bible mentions slavery during the times of Christ and even before Christ himself was born. We can't judge the past with today's moral standards when slavery was a very normal thing and even today it still exist in various indigenous undisturbed tribes around the world. They also ignore that several Indian tribes themselves had made use of slavery well before Columbus even stepped foot in the New World. (Aztec Slavery - Pre-Colombian Societies)

Fourth, people that like to paint Columbus as an evil man often ignore the societies he encountered. Sure, many of the Indian tribes he encountered were peaceful, but not all of them. Right on the eastern part of Hispaniola, in what is known as the Samana Bay, during his first voyage he was randomly attacked by the Indians of that area. They attacked him with arrows covered in venom and for that reason he named the Samana Bay as the Bay of the Arrows (Bahia de las Flechas). In the Lesser Antilles he and the other discoverers encountered cannibalistic tribes that were the terror in all of the Caribbean. These Carib Indians caused the original Taino Indians (of the Arawak family) to abandon the smaller islands of the eastern Caribbean because of the constant bloody raids in which the victims were often subjected to slavery and later became their supper. All the Indians in the Greater Antilles were screwed because at the time of Columbus arrival the Caribs were already beginning their assaults in Puerto Rico and the eastern part of Hispaniola. (Persée)

Fifth, the societies Columbus encountered had certain cultural traits that even today would be troubling and would cause for modern society to intervene. Human sacrifices was a natural part of many of these societies and this practice was ended by the Spanish. Polygamy was also widespread in many tribes, another practice ended by the Spanish. The Arawak Indians of the Caribbean had the custom that if a woman's husband died before she did, she would be buried alive in the same tomb and next to her husband. Some Indian tribes, such as the Mayans, even practiced pederasty including fathers looking for male sexual mates for their young sons. These practices were deemed unacceptable by Columbus et al much how modern people consider female genital mutilation to be unacceptable and want to put an end to this, even in indigenous tribes.

There are other aspects to be considered that are often ignored by those that want to paint Columbus as an evil man, but I will limit my input to what I have stated thus far. If Columbus was an evil man, then everyone in every civilization back then, including the Indian civilizations of America, were evil too. The Aztec, Mayan, and Inca empires were maintained by militarily conquering smaller tribes and forcing them into obedience. In fact, the internal resentments in these empires is what facilitated their fall, because the Spanish often formed alliances with Indian tribes that were subjugated by force into the empires they belonged to. These alliances worked because of the dictatorial nature of the empires of the Indians and also because the least desired tribes were often used as the source of young men to be sacrificed to the gods or to be subjected into slavery for the dominant Indian groups.

Like I said, if Columbus was evil, then everyone was evil too. We can't cherry pick one over the other.

Brutality of Aztecs, Mayas Corroborated

Blood and sacrifice; researchers are revamping notions about the ancient Maya and finding that ritual bloodletting and warfare once reigned supreme.

Mayan Text Details Blood Sacrifices

Why the Incas offered up child sacrifices

Last edited by AntonioR; 06-03-2014 at 05:07 PM..

Old 06-03-2014, 05:55 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Oh Lord. I'm not going to post the numerous credible history sources that prove the man was a disgusting individual, look into rape as another one of his crimes. He was a pathetic excuse for humanity, and anyone who promotes him, well.....I'll say no more....Antonio...although I will say it's a good thing that many schools now list his crimes in school each year when teaching about him, and many states no longer give students the day off for Columbus Day.

Editing to say it was okay that he was involved in slavery and worse, because that was the norm back then? How can you possibly state that anyone involved with such behavior, and is now subsequently judged poorly by people, is just "modern nonsense"? I'm just horrified that you would say such a thing. I am really done here, I'm just appalled. Simply being a good navigator doesn't excuse his behavior.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 06-03-2014 at 06:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut