Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 08:32 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times

Advertisements

The building looks really nice. I wonder if any students or faculty will rent out apartments next door to the new Front Street Apartments. This should be a boost to the Fromt Street District, bars, and restaurants. If I was back in college id love to go there. What are they going to do with the old West Hartford campus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 08:58 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
The building looks really nice. I wonder if any students or faculty will rent out apartments next door to the new Front Street Apartments. This should be a boost to the Fromt Street District, bars, and restaurants. If I was back in college id love to go there. What are they going to do with the old West Hartford campus?
I would say doubt it, maybe a couple. The people I know that go to UCONN branch now all live at home (or own a home/rent) with other people already. They are going to the branch to save money. If they want the authentic college live style they would have just went to UCONN (granted they got in). If they only got into the branch chances are they are not looking to spend a boat load of money.

If what you proposed was the case you would see a lot more apartments up around the current West Hartford Branch.

I don't see a big boost to Front street except a couple coffee shops and fast food places. Many people work so they travel to Hartford after work (which is going to make traffic a nightmare) and leave right after class is done. Not sure how many students are willing to spend $30 on a steak at Ted's.

Like JayCT said, front st was supposed to be an entertainment spot. UCONN is sort of land-locked with little to no room for expansion.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:16 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I would say doubt it, maybe a couple. The people I know that go to UCONN branch now all live at home (or own a home/rent) with other people already. They are going to the branch to save money. If they want the authentic college live style they would have just went to UCONN (granted they got in). If they only got into the branch chances are they are not looking to spend a boat load of money.

If what you proposed was the case you would see a lot more apartments up around the current West Hartford Branch.

I don't see a big boost to Front street except a couple coffee shops and fast food places. Many people work so they travel to Hartford after work (which is going to make traffic a nightmare) and leave right after class is done. Not sure how many students are willing to spend $30 on a steak at Ted's.

Like JayCT said, front st was supposed to be an entertainment spot. UCONN is sort of land-locked with little to no room for expansion.
Actually a lot of kids get accepted to the UConn branches because it is so hard to get into Storrs directly. I know a number of Glastonbury seniors with very good grades (Honors students) that got accepted to West Hartford but did not want to go because of the lack of housing. I wonder if that would change if the option of housing nearby was available. I know at least two kids who was going to West Hartford for a year while living at home and then are going to try to transfer to Storrs next year.

I agree that places like Ted's, Max and Capitol Grille won't benefit much but I would bet Arch Street Tavern will do a good student business. Even places like City Steam should see an increase. We will see. Jay

Old 05-19-2015, 12:25 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Actually a lot of kids get accepted to the UConn branches because it is so hard to get into Storrs directly. I know a number of Glastonbury seniors with very good grades (Honors students) that got accepted to West Hartford but did not want to go because of the lack of housing. I wonder if that would change if the option of housing nearby was available. I know at least two kids who was going to West Hartford for a year while living at home and then are going to try to transfer to Storrs next year.

I agree that places like Ted's, Max and Capitol Grille won't benefit much but I would bet Arch Street Tavern will do a good student business. Even places like City Steam should see an increase. We will see. Jay
Exactly. I know many people that did that which is why I think UCONN will have minimal impact on apartments rentals.

Totally agree with the second portion. That Qdoba place I bet will do bang up business. Seems like a hipster college thing.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:23 AM

830 posts, read 684,180 times
Authority Gets Look At Latest UConn Hartford Campus Renderings - Hartford Courant

Old 05-20-2015, 12:24 PM

One of the things that annoyed me about this is that UConn has reduced the size of the building. Originally they had made a big deal about needing over 200,000 square feet. That was why they ended up rejecting the Travelers Training Center on Constitution Plaza. They said the 175,000 square foot building was not large enough and it had limited expansion potential. Now they are building a 160,000 square foot building and looking to share space with neighbors like the library, the Wadsworth, etc. Plus notice the price tag has not been lowered.

In a way, not buying the Travelers building was good since Trinity bought it and are bringing their students downtown. Still you have to wonder why there were changes made for this site. I am all for keeping the scale of the buildings down especially since the scale of Front Street is not what was originally envisioned. Originally the buildings were supposed to be multi-storied with retail on the bottom and office or residential above. They now are just enhanced single story buildings with just retail that look like they MAY be two story. I really wonder how the developer got away with that (I know the economy) but then again I am not sure why the city switched to them in the first place (this sounded shady from the start). Anyway it will be good to see this when it is done. The architects, Robert A. M. Stern, are excellent, particularly when working with historic facades and scale. Jay

Old 06-03-2015, 07:26 AM

Looks like UConn will be having 2 buildings downtown. The one under construction at the old Hartford Times building on Front Street and this one on Prospect Street a half block away. Jay

UConn buys JCJ's Hartford office home | HartfordBusiness.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut