Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 10:56 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,823,351 times

Advertisements

This is good news for Hartford, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 11:22 PM

640 posts, read 722,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
Yeah, cuz that's exactly the best neighborhood for eating, drinking and walking around after the game. The people that work in downtown don't live there. Their families would still have to get downtown for the games if you wanted to make it a family event.

Anyways, $60 million dollar stadium in a year and a half? You can quote me on this, never gonna happen.
People eat and drink around there after basketball games at the XL center, how would that be any different for a baseball game?

That's the point, this location can be a non-family event as well as a family event, co-workers can walk there after work, that's something the new britain location doesn't have. Samething with people living in downtown, they can walk there. would these people have gone to the games at New Britain? Probably not. Meanwhile, you are also bringing in the people that normally would have driven to New Britain.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:46 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,455,808 times
Does anyone think it's good time to jump into the investment property market in Hartford? Prices are still decent and with all the new construction coming to the area housing will be demand.

Between the rock cats and Uconn, maybe now is a good time to start to buy some undervalued property, fix it up and rent it.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Does anyone think it's good time to jump into the investment property market in Hartford? Prices are still decent and with all the new construction coming to the area housing will be demand.

Between the rock cats and Uconn, maybe now is a good time to start to buy some undervalued property, fix it up and rent it.
If you are talking about properties outside of downtown, in the bad parts, my guess is no.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:02 PM

440 posts, read 450,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wma152 View Post
People eat and drink around there after basketball games at the XL center, how would that be any different for a baseball game?

That's the point, this location can be a non-family event as well as a family event, co-workers can walk there after work, that's something the new britain location doesn't have. Samething with people living in downtown, they can walk there. would these people have gone to the games at New Britain? Probably not. Meanwhile, you are also bringing in the people that normally would have driven to New Britain.
Is the stadium going to be in the XL Center? Where is the stadium going to be? What exactly is there and what neighborhood is it going to be in? What restaurants are within walking distance?

I don't know many employees in Hartford that walk to basketball games or hockey games after work.

How many people watch games in suits and ties?

Old 06-08-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
Is the stadium going to be in the XL Center? Where is the stadium going to be? What exactly is there and what neighborhood is it going to be in? What restaurants are within walking distance?

I don't know many employees in Hartford that walk to basketball games or hockey games after work.

How many people watch games in suits and ties?
I guess you failed to see the logic that most of residential buildings and parking lots where people have to walk back towards after the game, is where the restaurants and entertainment are.

If you didn't know that workers in hartford do walk to the XL center, then you don't know hartford. Then again you failed to realize that most people who work in downtown hartford wear business casual, not suits and ties. So, I don't expect you know much about downtown hartford anyway.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I guess you failed to see the logic that most of residential buildings and parking lots where people have to walk back towards after the game, is where the restaurants and entertainment are.

If you didn't know that workers in hartford do walk to the XL center, then you don't know hartford. Then again you failed to realize that most people who work in downtown hartford wear business casual, not suits and ties. So, I don't expect you know much about downtown hartford anyway.
I get your logic and by all means I hope it works out. However; Rockcats games are more, I think, of a family event. It's true that some people will walk from work to see the games, but the majority would not. If a wife works in downtown Hartford and her husband works in Manchester, my guess would be that the wife would not hang around after work, wait for the kids/husband to drive from Macnhester to Hartford than after the game walk back to work and drive to Manchester. Some people might, I don't know anyone who works in DT so I can't tell for sure. But it would make more sense to build the liveable population in DT before you try and build a ball park and hope it works.

There is a lot of stuff going in Hartford, but getting people to move from the suburbs to Hartford might be a trick. Younger folks want to live in a vibrant city like Boston or NYC. Hartford might not be a top choice for them. Bringing in a minor league team who plays 60 games a year and a branch (majority of commuters who live at home) of UCONN will not revive an entire city.

And this is coming from a guy who likes Hartford. I used to go every weekend for years. But, for me and my group of friends, it has taken a nose dive and we rarely even visit. If we do, it'll be for wolfpack game and then after we head to a local bar near our houses far out of the city limits.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:21 PM

440 posts, read 450,662 times
Quote:

Nice headslap emoticons. Really drives home the point /sarcasm.

Anyway, I was speaking from a personal experience. In my line of work, or at least of those at my level, business casual is a suit and no tie, and yes, everyone dresses that way that I work with. Also, baseball is a family event for me and my friends and family. I am not going to leave Hartford, drive 40 minutes or more to the burbs, pick up my kids and drive back. And I'm certainly not going to watch the game in my business clothes, casual or not.

But anyway, to each his own. I wish the city, the franchise and the stadium the best of luck. Those numbers the 'consultant' was using seem a little far fetched, but again, that's just my opinion.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:58 PM

13,957 posts, read 13,716,786 times
Yankee Stadium is surround by the slums of The Bronx people still go there why not Downtown Hartford

Old 06-10-2014, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Yankee Stadium is surround by the slums of The Bronx people still go there why not Downtown Hartford
How many people go out into the "slums" after or before a game? I've taken the subway and metro north to the game many many times but I have yet to venture out past the stadium limits. So if this logic holds true for a major league team it might hold true for a minor league team in Hartford.

Also, what I find interesting is that the people of Hartford are against this. I really thought they would be for it, but they are saying instead of spending upwards of $60m for a stadium put that money towards school/education.

Citizens of Hartford +1 politicians/scrum business men 0.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut