U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 10:59 AM

25,429 posts, read 41,234,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I would be for converting empty space at malls into apartment. Donít know about new buildings on the properties. Milford and Trumbull malls will likely continue to struggle to fill their commercial space and it will only get harder.
I believe that Trumbull is proposing to build apartments on the outer edge of their property. When the mall was built back in the early 60's, it was surrounded by single family homes. The original builder/owner of the mall, Frouge, started buying up any property that came on the market on the streets adjacent to the mall. This gave them a lot more property than they needed even after the couple of expansions the mall went through over the years. Kind of ironic that now they are proposing to build new residential on that property now. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 11:20 AM

1,823 posts, read 920,947 times
Quote:
I would be for converting empty space at malls into apartment. Don’t know about new buildings on the properties. Milford and Trumbull malls will likely continue to struggle to fill their commercial space and it will only get harder.
The apartments that are proposed will not be right in the Trumbull mall itself but in adjacent property next to the mall. The old owners of the Trumbull mall bought up all the houses on a few adjacent streets of Stuart Place and Whalburn Ave. It would be like a big complex of the mall and apartments right next door. I also want to see more eateries and restaurants (some with entertainment) at our Trumbull that you can get into from the outside. I don't think people would want to live RIGHT AT the mall. The apartments that are proposed in Trumbull will have a nice walk way to the mall.

I would also like to see this in the little urban area near the mall on both sides of Main Street below the Parkway. Dorm rooms for the kids at Sacred Heart University. It is only a short ride from that area to the university. I can see little shuttles running back and forth from Sacred Heart to the mall to the dorms.

I am in contact with Economic & Community Development Director in Trumbull and I am telling her my ideas. She likes them. All of this growth on Trumbull Main Street below the Parkway will most likely be needed to save the mall.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:09 PM

15,083 posts, read 18,570,409 times
The only thing that will save these malls is reinvention, and I strongly believe that includes re-use, such as entertainment, offices, and apartments. There's no reason that a lost anchor retailer (they're all going under) on the edge of a mall can't be turned into housing.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:29 PM

1,823 posts, read 920,947 times
Quote:
The only thing that will save these malls is reinvention, and I strongly believe that includes re-use, such as entertainment, offices, and apartments. There's no reason that a lost anchor retailer (they're all going under) on the edge of a mall can't be turned into housing.
I doubt anyone is going to live RIGHT AT a mall. But I think that maybe a Whole Foods, Trader Joe's etc can go in one of the anchor spots if it comes to it. One thing I have to say about our Trumbull Mall. Most of the anchors are doing well. For the four anchors.......

**Target is packed like I have never seen another Target stores. All the college kids are in there doing their grocery shopping, clothes shopping etc. The clothing in the Target junior department are cute and reasonable. I buy clothes in that junior department all the time. Now that Sacred Heart is growing by leaps and bounds the makeup in Target is always gone. Sometimes I have to take a trip to the Target at the Hawley Mall to get my Neutragena makeup. BTW, Trumbull has two Targets and they both do well.

**JC Penny's is now always packed all times of day now that the Penny's in the Milford Mall has closed.

**Macy's does very well too. It is always very busy especially the junior department which I assume are the young girls from the college shopping in there.

**Lord & Taylor is the least busy store. This is the one anchor that could be in trouble when the new mall in Norwalk opens. At least it is just one store. But I think there is opportunity if L&T closes. It is right when you go into the mall from Main Street and this is where I can see more restaurants going.

I am going to be going to the planning and zoning meetings regarding the Trumbull mall and apartments proposed there. I will let you know what the new owners say in regards to the mall in Norwalk because I will ask the question when I get up to speak. At the last meeting I went to one of the new owners did say he thinks in a year or so one of the anchors will close and I bet it is Lord & Taylors because of the new mall in Norwalk.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:35 PM

15,083 posts, read 18,570,409 times
JCP and L&T's time is limited, not just in Trumbull but in general. Macy's has a better shot, but who knows. Trader Joe's and WF are too small to fill an anchor space, and I don't think Whole Foods typically sets up at malls? Danbury Fair was smart in sub-dividing the Filene's space into a restaurant, LL Bean, etc.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/pamdanz.../#6e9eda1e5dd2

https://gizmodo.com/7-dead-shopping-...ive-1634073681

https://www.retaildive.com/news/not-...n-mall/441342/

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...bandoned-malls

Old 02-22-2019, 11:02 AM

25,429 posts, read 41,234,005 times
J. Jill, the popular woman's clothing store has announced it will open a store in the SoNo Collection mall. It joins already announced anchors, Nordstrom and Bloomingdales, as well as Yardhouse Sports Bar. They are looking to open before the holidays and could be as early as October. Jay

https://www.ctpost.com/business/arti...p-13634311.php

Old 02-22-2019, 11:06 AM

16,166 posts, read 22,574,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
J. Jill, the popular woman's clothing store has announced it will open a store in the SoNo Collection mall. It joins already announced anchors, Nordstrom and Bloomingdales, as well as Yardhouse Sports Bar. They are looking to open before the holidays and could be as early as October. Jay

https://www.ctpost.com/business/arti...p-13634311.php
Iím usually not a fan of chains, but Yardhouse is very good. They tend to only open in higher end areas/neighborhoods.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:13 AM

70 posts, read 23,820 times
Quote:
JCP and L&T's time is limited, not just in Trumbull but in general. Macy's has a better shot, but who knows. Trader Joe's and WF are too small to fill an anchor space, and I don't think Whole Foods typically sets up at malls? Danbury Fair was smart in sub-dividing the Filene's space into a restaurant, LL Bean, etc.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/pamdanz.../#6e9eda1e5dd2

https://gizmodo.com/7-dead-shopping-...ive-1634073681

https://www.retaildive.com/news/not-...n-mall/441342/

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...bandoned-malls
The Natick mall in Mass had a JC Penny's close shop a few years back and in its place they put a Wegmens grocery store. Actually attached to the mall.

It had not opened prior to my moving from the area, I would be interested in knowing how it works actually. Like I cannot imagine they let people go through the mall with their groceries. Pretty sure that Macys will get pretty ticked off if someone breaks eggs on one of their dresses.

So I would assume you probably do not get mall access after you shop there. Which makes me wonder how much pull through the rest of the stores at the mall get. I guess you can drop off your wife to do the food shopping and take the kids through the mall for jeans and meet up at the food court later?

Was suprised actually that Wegments moved there. There are more then enough supermarkets within a 10 mile radius to cover everyone at every price point. They did have apartments at the mall, so maybe it would cover those folks.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:24 PM

29 posts, read 6,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUHuskies01 View Post

So I would assume you probably do not get mall access after you shop there.
I can't imagine they would bar people from the mall because they shopped at the supermarket.

People won't want to bring in all their groceries through the mall anyway, so those that do, would only have a bag or two.

Regarding the eggs, Macy's already faces that with people walking into the store with a cup of coffee, i'm sure they'd handle it the same way.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:31 PM

3,907 posts, read 2,070,777 times
Wegman’s has mall access from both floors. Carriages are not allowed in the mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut