Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 05:36 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,419,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
I would just like to add that a lot of those people who live in the fancy pants areas are also very phony, not all obviously, but I would say close to a majority.

When you start earning into the millions and have the mansion homes, Italian sports cars and fine art collections, it becomes very easy to lose touch with reality. 90% of the American population lives in reality, we work, we budget, take care of our homes, get married, have kids.

Most of us are fine with that , I never felt that I needed the biggest and greatest of everything to be happy. My American dream was a little house in the country, a wife with gorgeous legs and firm butt, and kids that were respectful, happy and active.

That I achieved, and I'm grateful for it.
It depends on the family. My aunt and uncle made a fortune through the 90s and 2000's, sold their business a few years ago and are millionaires. But their 4 kids all work, the oldest is driving a car he bought from my grandma 7 years ago, he pays his own rent at his apartment, and their work ethic is as good as anyone elses, well, better than most of our generation. They have had some great opportunities provided to them in life, they get to go on nice vacations with their parents and use the skyrise apartment in Manhatten when they want, but they do not get spoiled day to day. There is a clear line drawn that the money is the parents, not theirs, and that if they want their own life they will work for it.

WHen you have a lot of monye you need to be even more responsible IMO

Old 06-23-2014, 12:32 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I was at agraduation party yesterday in a very affluent town. I asked the kids where they were goi to school...the response...not one is staying CT. I asked 10 kids. Ranging from MA to NYC to DC to even Montana. Once those kids leave for four years it will be nearly impossible to get them back here.
Funny since most of the kids graduating that I know are going to UConn. Look at the list of schools kids will be attending in any graduating class and it will likely be No. 1. Also popular are the other state universities (Central, southern, Eastern and Western). Given that there are so many choices nearby, I would think the majority are staying ion New England. Jay

Old 06-23-2014, 12:38 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Funny since most of the kids graduating that I know are going to UConn. Look at the list of schools kids will be attending in any graduating class and it will likely be No. 1. Also popular are the other state universities (Central, southern, Eastern and Western). Given that there are so many choices nearby, I would think the majority are staying ion New England. Jay
It was merely a little observation I made. I agree that kids might be staying in New England. For example I went to the Glastonbury graduation the two top students are going to Brown & Northeastern.

If I'm not mistaken I thought that CCSU, ECSU, WCSU and SCCU are at record level lows for enrollment. Granted UCONN is at an all time high.

I went to CCSU and thought it was a great school.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:23 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
It was merely a little observation I made. I agree that kids might be staying in New England. For example I went to the Glastonbury graduation the two top students are going to Brown & Northeastern.

If I'm not mistaken I thought that CCSU, ECSU, WCSU and SCCU are at record level lows for enrollment. Granted UCONN is at an all time high.

I went to CCSU and thought it was a great school.
I would 99.99% expect the top 5 students of any class to go to a top 20 school. I believe the only top 20 school we have in CT is Yale. You would get a better sense of the situation if you looked at where the median range of the class is headed.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:38 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

Post 56 has the retention rates by state, JayCt. Ct ranks 45th.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:54 PM

457 posts, read 645,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
And all those young people will move back here once they want to start a family and have kids.
Well said. A lot of those places out West that have been mentioned, are no place to raise a decent family if you want them to have GOOD schools and decent values.

As a teacher I feel sorry for kids growing up today in some of those Western states given their anti-book, anti-education overall mentality. I'm glad I'm not a kid these days - it was hard enough in the '70's.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:56 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1969 View Post
Well said. A lot of those places out West that have been mentioned, are no place to raise a decent family if you want them to have GOOD schools and decent values.

As a teacher I feel sorry for kids growing up today in some of those Western states given their anti-book, anti-education overall mentality. I'm glad I'm not a kid these days - it was hard enough in the '70's.
So affluent states like WA don't have good schools? I could understand your comment if you were directing it toward flyover country, but the coasts are world's better than the interior of the country.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:09 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:

Your extremely broad brush sounds very condescending to those 10-15 states and 50-70 million people.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:51 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,419,778 times
Quote:

what, how could yo....oh, your a teacher. That comment was ignorant or self fulfilling Just because you get paid more here doesn't make the schools better. Lets be serious, that's the real issue here for you. I mean, the schools in Bridge-poh and watuhbury are fantastic right?

Old 06-30-2014, 06:13 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,059,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
what, how could yo....oh, your a teacher. That comment was ignorant or self fulfilling Just because you get paid more here doesn't make the schools better. Lets be serious, that's the real issue here for you. I mean, the schools in Bridge-poh and watuhbury are fantastic right?
Better than most average US public schools

Connecticut does rank #2 in education right behind Massachusetts and just ahead of New Jersey which is just ahead of New York State

Texas is catching up though. Bottom are the gulf states
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut