Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 01:31 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I'm having second thoughts about returning to the Hartford area myself. Virtually every job opening there is with an insurance company. All four big insurance companies have openings for me that I'm qualified for, but this is troubling. These companies are like revolving doors of turnover, with good ol' boys clubs and management that is undesirable to work for. I know, because I have worked at one. Virtually everyone in my department was either from another insurance company or getting ready to take a job at another one. I can't help but not get excited about the job opportunities in the Hartford area. Also, whenever I take a trip up there, I don't really get a vibe along the lines of "oh I can't wait to move back here." Moving back there would be the easiest, safest thing to do and that's it.

But FFC is a terrible place to live for the middle class. Sigh. FFC is hell on earth, for the nature/outdoors lover. I have to drive very far (at least 30 miles or more) just to reach some decent hiking trails that aren't some stupid manmade park. Virtually everything here is "NO TRESPASSING" and restricted from the public. The beaches are overcrowded, too. I can't WAIT to leave!

Last edited by nep321; 07-27-2014 at 01:49 PM..

Old 07-27-2014, 01:49 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yeah, I'm having second thoughts about returning to the Hartford area myself. Virtually every job opening there is with an insurance company. All four big insurance companies have openings for me that I'm qualified for, but this is troubling. These companies are like revolving doors of turnover, with good ol' boys clubs and management that is undesirable to work for. I know, because I have worked at one. Virtually everyone in my department was either from another insurance company or getting ready to take a job at another one.

Then go work for a non-profit in the Hartford area.

Oh wait a minute. They pay crappy.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:01 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm having second thoughts about returning to the Hartford area myself. Virtually every job opening there is with an insurance company. All four big insurance companies have openings for me that I'm qualified for, but this is troubling. These companies are like revolving doors of turnover, with good ol' boys clubs and management that is undesirable to work for. I know, because I have worked at one. Virtually everyone in my department was either from another insurance company or getting ready to take a job at another one. I can't help but not get excited about the job opportunities in the Hartford area. Also, whenever I take a trip up there, I don't really get a vibe along the lines of "oh I can't wait to move back here." Moving back there would be the easiest, safest thing to do and that's it.

But FFC is a terrible place to live for the middle class. Sigh. FFC is hell on earth, for the nature/outdoors lover. I have to drive very far (at least 30 miles or more) just to reach some decent hiking trails that aren't some stupid manmade park. Virtually everything here is "NO TRESPASSING" and restricted from the public. The beaches are overcrowded, too. I can't WAIT to leave!

90% of FFC is for upper middle class and the rich

Old 07-27-2014, 03:26 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
So 90% of bridgeport, stamford, fairfield, stratford, norwalk, and danbury are rich right? Middle class here and doing just fine. Either grow a pair and deal or get the hell out.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:49 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
So 90% of bridgeport, stamford, fairfield, stratford, norwalk, and danbury are rich right? Middle class here and doing just fine. Either grow a pair and deal or get the hell out.
LOL.

Simple math calculations will tell us that Bridgeport alone accounts for more than 10% of FFC population.

Never mind places like Sherman, New Fairfield, Brookfield, Bethel, Newtown, Monroe, Trumbull, Shelton, Stratford, Fairfield, Norwalk which have a decent number of people that aren't "upper middle class".

Old 07-27-2014, 09:40 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:

Of course Hartford has a lot of jobs in insurance. That is one of the major employers in the area. There are others.

Enough already with your BS. Either move back or somewhere else. Even I am getting sick of listening to you. And there are places to live in Fairfield County for the middle class but you are so spoiled and unflexible, you refuse to even consider them. I know a lot of people in Fairfield county who make less than you and do fine there. I also know many people who love the outdoors and they have no problem living there. There are places to walk in the woods. You just need to bother finding them. You just refuse to be flexible so stop complaining already. Jay

Old 07-27-2014, 10:47 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,243 times
Any corporate job in today's world stinks, that's why I'm independent. You're just a number which creates the turnover and revolving door actions.

I took in an interest in relocating up north but FFC is not in my interests to begin with so I don't know much about that region as it's not where I'm looking.

As far as being outdoorsy I'm the same way. We race on weekends actually and I won't even sweat it loading up the truck and driving 2 hours to a track, part of the fun is getting there.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:03 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Of course Hartford has a lot of jobs in insurance. That is one of the major employers in the area. There are others.

Enough already with your BS. Either move back or somewhere else. Even I am getting sick of listening to you. And there are places to live in Fairfield County for the middle class but you are so spoiled and unflexible, you refuse to even consider them. I know a lot of people in Fairfield county who make less than you and do fine there. I also know many people who love the outdoors and they have no problem living there. There are places to walk in the woods. You just need to bother finding them. You just refuse to be flexible so stop complaining already. Jay
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:28 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself.
In kind I say please relax as it's a "wrestling match" for many (and not just for the OP) figuring it all out to what to do no matter how long, back and forth and repetitive it reads from him.

Now is the OP "picky or unflexible" maybe yes maybe no but he's trying to sought this out, I practice patience while reading/"listening"/posting off his thoughts on the fly.

For some people the decision is swift while for others it's a very drawn out process as they don't want to make a mistake or repeat one.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:21 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
In kind I say please relax as it's a "wrestling match" for many (and not just for the OP) figuring it all out to what to do no matter how long, back and forth and repetitive it reads from him.

Now is the OP "picky or unflexible" maybe yes maybe no but he's trying to sought this out, I practice patience while reading/"listening"/posting off his thoughts on the fly.

For some people the decision is swift while for others it's a very drawn out process as they don't want to make a mistake or repeat one.

Yes exactly. Other people prefer to just dive into things without thinking too much about it, but I am more cautious. Look how many potential relocations I have mitigated already: Florida, North Carolina, Houston, Phoenix, and the list goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut