U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2006, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,842 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm a special ed teacher with a 5 year old daugther , looking to relocate from Long Island where it's become next to impossible to have any true quality of life. I've been looking into the New Fairfield area and we even took a day trip to the area, picnicking at Squantz Pond. It was absolutely beautiful! Based on computer searchces, schools look great. We plan to visit and drive through more neighborhoods very soon (possibly this weekend). Any thoughts, suggestions, advice? What can you tell me about the area; neighborhoods, schools? A good family relocation spot?
Also, any tips on teaching jobs would be awesome (preferably NY side to keep my pension, but considering a good job/ district in CT) .... hoping for short commute (back to the 'quality of life' piece) THANKS!!!:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2006, 09:16 PM

2,178 posts, read 5,755,693 times
I live just south of New Fairfield, in Danbury (my house is up by the tall hotel you see by exit 2). The area as a whole has a much higher quality of life, and is much more affordable. The town of New Fairfield will not become like Long Island (in the built up sort of sense) because of the strict zoning regulations. It took 6 years for an aquinatance of mine to get approval for a 8 lot subdivision.

The Squantz pond area is nice and as is the area a little bit to east of that bordering Candlewood Lake, one of the largest manmade lakes in the East Coast. For most of your shopping and dining, you would have to drive south into Danbury, where more there are more than enough options for either .
Other bodies over water include Ball Pond and some of a reservior.

All of the schools are located on Gillotti Rd, on the western part of town. There are a total of 4 schools for the districts (pre k-2, 2-5, 6-8, 9-12). Both the high school and middle schools have been renovated and expanded in recent years.

For a short commute to NY state, you would want to live along the route 39 corridor (the road to squantz pond), where there are a few roads that go into NY.I know Danbury schools are hiring for a special ed teacher for elementary schools, but you would not have your NY pension.

Feel free to PM me anytime for answers.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 4,447 times
Default Hi !N.F. resident here!

Hello there! My husband and I relocated to New Fairfield in 2000.It really is a great town to raise kids in. Our schools are good and the neighborhoods are safe. There's a lot to do because we have great clubs in town (Lion's club, community service club,etc.) who plan things like parades and Easter Egg hunts for the kids.
I'm also an educator and going back to work in the fall for the first time in 10 years! We have a great special department in N.F. . There's a ELC. program that mixes kids who are typical with kids who are disabled in a pre-school setting. They have the best reputation! I have 3 kids. Ages 5,9,and 12. So I have one in each school except the high school and really don't have many complaints as a parent.
It's a small town. I won't kid you. A lot of my friends who came here from N.Y. (westchester, the Bronx...) were a bit lost at first ("It's so dark here!!and quiet!) But most of us love that you see people you know all over town.
N.Y. schools to look into, still nearby would be Brewster, Carmel,Putnam Lake,and Pawling. All are anywhere between 10-20 min. away. I live on the Ball pond side that the last responder mentioned.
Let me know if you move here, maybe we'll meet up at the playground with our 5 year olds!
good luck!
Cheryl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or