Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 11:28 AM

911 posts, read 2,154,685 times

Advertisements

I'm doing a little soul searching and trying to pinpoint a good place to settle. I've had itchy feet in the past, but I really am trying to find my place lol. If you want to avoid my mini panic attack, the to-the-point questions are:

What might attract a 30-some couple with all ages of kids to Connecticut, and what are the least pricy safe areas of Connecticut.
I'm looking for somewhere with a reasonable climate (not snow 9 months of the year like WI, or parched, dry, scorching, relentless sun like in AZ. We've done both.) within a couple hours of the Atlantic coast. We work on the internet, so can basically live anywhere without worrying about work. We also homeschool, so the schools aren't a real consideration for us either. Any info on the least pricy areas that are reasonably safe would be helpful.

Also, I'm just curious what you feel might attract a 30-something aged couple with toddlers through teens to Connecticut

. We can find good points about living rural or urban, and have done both. If we find a dream situation and love the area, we could be happy with either. We're outdoorsy people, so scenic beauty is a bonus. We like to bike. It'd be nice to be able to take advantage of the Ocean, so we'd like to be somewhat close to the Atlantic. I think Connecticut is reasonably close, no matter where you're at in it lol

Anyway, thanks... Any info is appreciated. We have so many options, but a limited budget. Having too many options is paralytic so I'm really still scouting, even though my goal is to be somewhere before the school year starts because I need to register them for homeschooling somewhere. Georgia is really cheap and pretty so we are considering there, maybe a little warmer than we'd like, but doable. Tennessee is nice too, but we'd prefer to be nearer to the ocean. I've lived in both, and while very nice, I really enjoy the mid Atlantic climate the best. Maine, while beautiful and affordable, I'll bet the climate isn't much better than in WI.

Sorry for rambling. I'm just free falling right now. It's not so pleasant!

Thanks for any ideas. We are camping for the summer while we run out our lease and figure this out, so it's either find a place before September, or be stuck another year somewhere that we really don't want to be.

Last edited by famlife; 06-19-2014 at 11:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 11:55 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
Pretty much the whole state except for the southwestern corner, that's the really really pricey part.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:10 PM

15 posts, read 22,467 times
I lived in CT for 30 years, moved to Colorado, then back to CT. I do not know where you are coming from, but even the cheapest part of CT (which I presume to be the eastern sections) are expensive when you compare on a national level. Most of the state is suburban with pockets of rural scattered about. The Litchfield Hills is my favorite area. Roxbury, Washington, Kent and Bridgewater are gorgeous, but far from employment centers.

A few good things about CT: Well educated and progressive population, good public schools, beautiful little towns, four seasons, very close to world class cities.

Negatives: Traffic and cost of living.

I hate to say it but your budget really matters here. If you're looking for a 2500 square foot colonial in the 150-250 range, then you might have a difficult time searching for housing desirable areas in CT.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:18 PM

911 posts, read 2,154,685 times
Thanks for the replies. We are hoping for a 1500+sqft ancient fixer for around 100k, or an owner finance for under $180k
Not to be had in CT?

Old 06-19-2014, 12:40 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
That budget will be nearly impossible in the previously mentioned Litchfield-Fairfield counties in the west. Perhaps the eastern portion of the state away from the coast. Others more familiar will have to chime in here.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:08 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
A friend of mine bought a fixer-upper like that in West Haven. So-so schools though. It's possible. I'd stick to areas east of New Haven/Hartford for best bang-for-buck. Less employment as you move further east though.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:09 PM

15 posts, read 22,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
Thanks for the replies. We are hoping for a 1500+sqft ancient fixer for around 100k, or an owner finance for under $180k
Not to be had in CT?
Yeesh, I don't know. You might be able to find a house for under 180 in one of CT's working class towns. Naugatuck, Torrington, Meriden, or Windham and Norwich out east. Those are not particularly attractive communities but they do have safe areas.

If I were you, I would look elsewhere. Delaware, Virginia, or the Carolina's will offer a LOT more in your price range. You can probably find something in CT but you will have to look hard.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:28 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
The OP can live anywhere with an internet connection and home schools, so the school district isn't of concern. Because of those two factors, I would say your budget is doable but you'd have to look hard. I'd focus on eastern CT.

As for what might attract a family to CT?

Recreational opportunities: miles of hiking trails, bike trails, hills, beaches

Four seasons, none of which are too brutal or too long (though some may disagree after the winter we had this past year!)

Family friendly: you’ll find most towns have plenty of opportunities to hang out with other families even if you home school. Most towns seem to have plenty of events for free or minimal charge within town. This ranges from free concerts on a town green to the town’s Parks & Recreation department offering classes to the town library’s children’s programs.

Schools: You home school but the majority of towns have a pretty solid public school system

In general, CT residents are open minded. Most people here believe your religion, politics, etc. is your business, not theirs, so you won’t find yourself discussing either touchy subject with people you barely know (having lived in a “What church do you go to?” environment, this pleases me).

Old 06-19-2014, 01:41 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
I also second the notion that at your budget... move on.

I'm from the Valley of Connecticut (Naugatuck, New Haven, Shelton, Seymour). Good luck with those numbers.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:49 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I also second the notion that at your budget... move on.

I'm from the Valley of Connecticut (Naugatuck, New Haven, Shelton, Seymour). Good luck with those numbers.
FYI New Haven is not in the "Valley" area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut