U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-10-2009, 04:31 AM

8,156 posts, read 12,180,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
1. Everyone has their own set of Spiritual beliefs. Neither the left nor the right has a Monopoly on Spiritual beliefs.

2. Marriage in many ways has been re-defined over time. years ago a marriage wasn't an equal partnership. The woman was generally deemed property of her husband. That is something which has changed over time. People of different races weren't allowed to marry, the definition of marriage has changed with that respect. It was less than 50 years ago when the bans on inter-racial marriage were struck down, and the only way it was going to be stricken down was by the courts, because inter-racial marriage was extremely unpopular (had much less support when the ban was struck down than gay marriage does now), and the argument against each was generally the same, its unnatrual, ot goes against the bible, etc etc...

3. And in most of those societies only a few of them are actually laws.
Marriage has not be redefined by the Christian God - it's been the same all along, the Bible has not been amended. Marriage has been redefined by the courts and governments - man.

There is a difference.

You also can't stop being "black" or another race. Another, big difference.

I think a lot of people of color take offense when they hear "rights" compared like that. Perhaps that's why they were the motivating force behind Prop 8 in CA. Makes you think.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:01 AM

7,844 posts, read 8,585,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
You also can't stop being "black" or another race. Another, big difference
I've always had mixed emotions about that sentiment. When i was a kid, i had a black schoolmate who was more of a cracker than you and i could ever be. His mom was black, his stepfather was white, they lived in a caucasian environment and he had very limited interactions with his mother's side of the family. Also interesting to me is how black Europeans present themselves. I think the issue that we have in our country is more of an environmental thing, rather than something you're "born" with. JMHO, of course.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:21 AM

8,156 posts, read 12,180,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I've always had mixed emotions about that sentiment. When i was a kid, i had a black schoolmate who was more of a cracker than you and i could ever be. His mom was black, his stepfather was white, they lived in a caucasian environment and he had very limited interactions with his mother's side of the family. Also interesting to me is how black Europeans present themselves. I think the issue that we have in our country is more of an environmental thing, rather than something you're "born" with. JMHO, of course.
LOL I know exactly what you mean...growing up in the "hood" I have more soul than some black friends who did not.

I was speaking more strictly about race rather than personality though. I can't stop being Italian. It's my DNA. Know what I mean?

It is interesting that folks who are half and half seem to automatically be classed as "black". (I.E. Obama) Well, they're white too. I don't just say my son is Italian...he's half Irish too. Kind of odd how that happens.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:55 AM

13,765 posts, read 21,042,320 times
Unfortunately this thread has gone way off topic and gotten a bit nasty, so I am closing it down. Thanks for your posts. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut