Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 09:21 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times

Advertisements

#1 - New Haven, CT - Top 10 Foodie Cities 2014 | Livability

Once again, it's nice to see CT cities or anything CT related making a POSITIVE top 10 list!

What are your thoughts?

I'm not a foodie myself and couldn't care less, but still, many people are and this is great news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 09:26 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,351,324 times
Alright, Ashville, NC and Scottsdale, AZ over the Worlds Greatest City, NY...this list seems kind of off especially since IMHO NYC has the best food in the world.

Edit: it seems like they are only including smaller metro areas...

Old 06-21-2014, 10:22 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
NYC is the food capital of the country, but per capita New Haven is very impressive.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:34 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
NYC is the food capital of the country, but per capita New Haven is very impressive.
Agreed. For a city its size, the breadth of New Haven's food scene is impressive. New York is a great food city as well-- but is 70X the size of New Haven. I would add New Orleans and Las Vegas to the list.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:44 AM

1,129 posts, read 1,351,324 times
Quote:
Forget food capital of the country, how about capital of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Agreed. For a city its size, the breadth of New Haven's food scene is impressive. New York is a great food city as well-- but is 70X the size of New Haven. I would add New Orleans and Las Vegas to the list.
I wasn't impressed with Vegas food. New Orleans was good, as well as SF. Everyone says Chicago makes the best food, but going there 3 years ago, it was decent. But New Haven beats out those 4.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:18 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
I think basically, NYC is top-notch, but you need big bucks for taxis to get from one gastronomic orgasm to the next. Especially since NYC is not just Manhattan - it includes the Bronx and Queens, which is a lot of subways and buses and taxis and parking fees.

With metro areas like New Haven, almost all of the food destinations are within walking distance of each other, and the rest are at a reasonable enough distance that you can drive it without much effort within 5 minutes in any direction needed. From Wooster Square to Upper Chapel, the Yale Hospital food truck "cluster" at lunch-hour, to Upper State.

I can park across from the old YMCA building for free, walk to Mamoun's for a hummus plate and spiced tea, then stroll to Broadway and buy a lipstick at Origins, meander up the road from there to Claire's on Chapel to pick up a feta salad with tahini and a fresh-baked mini-loaf of dense, chewy, yeasty bread "to go" for dinner later on in the day, and walk back to my car - all within an hour. A similar experience in New York takes a few hours and a minimum of $20 for parking/taxis/public transportation.

If I absolutely need dessert, it's only a few minutes' drive to Libby's for one of the country's best cannolis.

New Haven being a prime foodie destination is no surprise at all.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:30 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I can park across from the old YMCA building for free, walk to Mamoun's for a hummus plate and spiced tea, then stroll to Broadway and buy a lipstick at Origins, meander up the road from there to Claire's on Chapel to pick up a feta salad with tahini and a fresh-baked mini-loaf of dense, chewy, yeasty bread "to go" for dinner later on in the day, and walk back to my car - all within an hour. A similar experience in New York takes a few hours and a minimum of $20 for parking/taxis/public transportation.
I don't disagree with you about the easy accessibility of New Haven, but if you lived in Manhattan - you could easily get all similar things within walking distance and not having to pay for public transportation. Plus, the subway is cheap if needed.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree with you about the easy accessibility of New Haven, but if you lived in Manhattan - you could easily get all similar things within walking distance and not having to pay for public transportation. Plus, the subway is cheap if needed.
Heh but then you'd have to afford to live - and dine out - in Manhattan. Unless you're one of the - 20 people left in the civilized world who is still renting with old rent control prices - I'm thinking - it's cheaper to fly first class from Alaska to New Haven for a slice of pizza, than it is to live in Manhattan and take the subway to Atera.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:52 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Heh but then you'd have to afford to live - and dine out - in Manhattan. Unless you're one of the - 20 people left in the civilized world who is still renting with old rent control prices - I'm thinking - it's cheaper to fly first class from Alaska to New Haven for a slice of pizza, than it is to live in Manhattan and take the subway to Atera.
This thread has nothing to do with cost of living. If you live in Manhattan, regardless of your rent, you're within walking distance to some of the most amazing food in the world. Period.

But why are you discussing New York? Isn't this a thread about CT in the CT forum?

Old 06-23-2014, 05:16 AM

You're absolutely right, kidyankee. This is about CT in a CT forum. So I'll follow up with a CT comment - one of the reasons that makes New Haven a top-notch foodie destination is its affordability and accessibility, both of which are superior to some of the more major metro areas which might have more quality food, but are less affordable and more difficult to get to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut